What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bolt Modification and Bullet Tool for an Easier Engine Installation

ROTARY7

Well Known Member
Having been involved with at least three prior Vans Aircraft engine installations, with fellow EAA members, I’ve had some time to mull over the best way to install an engine into my RV-7.

In the prior efforts I was involved in, the basic ingredients were there. We had an engine hoist, and “Bullets” that the AN7 bolts chased. We had 4-5 able former Air Force Pilots and Engineers to do the job. Installing the bolts should be a fairly painless process, right? And it should get easier when our group did it by the third time, right? Wrong and wrong. By the third installation, it still took 3 hours to install, and some serious pushing on the engine dangling from the hoist. On top of that, I wasn’t too excited about the potential for linear scratches in the engine mount bolt holes. I figured the mount is probably A356 cast aluminum, or equivalent, and why scar it up? Beating the bolts into submission caused me to think maybe the process could be improved on. In the end, I was able to install my engine in 50 minutes, by myself. Rounded to one hour, this was one man-hour vs. 15 or so man hours I have been a part of.

There were two main problems I saw with previous installation attempts:

1. An engine hoist can do the heavy lifting needed for a 300+ lb engine (I have a Barrett O-360), but another way to simultaneously “coax” the engine is needed. Having grown men grunt and groan to to sustain a push on the engine didn’t seem to work too well.

2. The “Bullet” we used before was slightly cupped at the aft blunt end to try to capture the front end of the AN7 bolt. It didn’t work well, since the bolt is not properly prepared to receive the bullet. The tip of the bolt, unmodified, is not very flat and didn’t seem to nest well in the bullet. As soon as the bullet/bolt combination split plane saw the engine mount/isolation mount split plane the bullet/bolt would shift radially. The bolt would then no longer be aligned with the mount hole (and bullet in it). All the thrashing away with a hammer would not easily persuade the bolt to enter the mount hole. And again if it did, there could be some scarring action going on. Cracks like initiation sites, such as scratches.

The solution (link to full document with images below):

http://numatx-tools.com/doc/ENGINE-BOLT-MOD.pdf

#1. This is in the form of a floor jack and 2x4. This allows the engine to nudged, lifted subtly, or rotated about the hoist point (roughly the cg but not exact). You may need to force the engine up and aft or up and fwd, and the jack allows you to do this by proper placement of the 2x4. Figure 1 shows my installation setup. I have the luxury of an overhead crane, but an engine hoist should be equivalent. The longer the chain can be made suspending the engine the more swing compliance you will have.

#2. The front end of the bolt needs to have a step which will plug into the aft end of the bullet. The bullet and bolt dimensions are shown in Figure 2 The purpose is to prevent the bullet/bolt combination from shearing (shifting) right at the point when the combination sees the split plane. The bolts can be modified on a manual lathe. You want to only cut in a radial direction with a square cutter, so as not to push the threads over. The unmodified bolts don’t begin to have a flat on their ends, and so a facing operation of about .030” on a lathe is needed for a nice bullet interface. The tip of the bolt can be touched up with paint, to address any corrosion concerns. Obviously there can be some adjustments made to these dimensions, but the key point it to have a gap between the bolt step and bullet ends, to prevent damaging the bolt threads if any slight tapping is required during the chase operation (Figure 3).

Hope this may be helpful during your installation.

Mark Swinford
Numatx, Inc.

P.S. - This is NOT a shameless plug for my website. I am currently very busy dealing with Boeing and other commercial users of my rivet squeezers. If I could have attached this PDF file directly to this thread I would have.

Last edited:
Wow. There must be a serious difference in the -360 mounts and the -540 mounts. :confused: For my 540, I did the install by myself in less than 30 minutes with just my Habor Freight engine crane and the hardward that came with the kit.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ts&project=473&category=8421&log=160931&row=6

I guess all the extra money we 10 builders have to dump into our kits has finally paid off -- easier engine mounting. :D

Last edited:
I didn't find the engine install to be much of a challenge at all - I did it in about 45 minutes with one helper, hanging my IO360M1B on a 9A, using just a Harbor Freight engine hoist for lift.

Maybe there are enough variations in the engine mount to cause some people more grief than others?

The two things that helped most when I mounted the engine solo were the tilt thing on the top of the Harbor Freight hoist and the experience of about 10 engines changes on the Dodge Dart project. This took 2.5 hours but that included a break for lunch and 45 minutes modifying tools for tight access.

IMG_2329.JPG

Same spot, same hoist but with a helper.

DSC00617.JPG

Aye, it should take less than 30 minutes if you do it a lot and maybe 45-60 your first time. If you're fightin' away, your not doing it right (been there). On a trigear, I just hang the top pair with the nuts started and assemble the bottoms with a bolt just through the spacer. Engine weight on the lower mounts, piece of board on the floor jack to push the lower engine side rubbers up until the hole aligns. One guy, 30 minutes, time to hit the coffee and a cigarette halfway through, no bullets, no blood.

Well, everyone will have differing experiences with the installation effort. Of those who posted replies, no one else mentioned what type mount they had. I should have made clear this is for a DYNO-FOCAL mount, where all the bolts point inward to the engine center of mass. Some like those who posted may be able to do it fairly painlessly, with the DF mount. The engine mount, which is WELDED not machined from a monolithic block, may vary. This is due to a phenomenom called WELD SHRINK. Yes the mount is built in a fixture, but having designed jet engine tubing systems for over 15 years, I can assure people that variation can exist due to the welding process. Maybe the mount was a factor.

Our core EAA 382 group that did these installations included a former B-2 pilot, two F-111 pilots, an F-15 instructor pilot, and me the earth bound Aero Engineer. In our experience, we used the engine hoist shown in one person's post, and we had the bullets without the mod I described. The first bolt, no sweat. The second bolt, not hard. The third bolt...hard. Here's why:

When the two bolts were in the upper positions the engine still sagged in the isolation mounts. When we applied a lifting force with the hoist, the engine would rotate about the engine cg (more or less about where it was hung from). It was difficult to force the engine into position for the third bolt, since lifting also applied a rotational element. After we did get the third bolt in, the fourth bolt usually was easier again.

Anyway, if you are able to do this as others have described, in only 30 minutes while juggling bowling pins, hats off to you. If I had said I did it by myself in 10 minutes, someone would have posted they did it in 8. I've offered the suggestion to those that have not yet tried to do the installation, and think it may not be as easy as the short block chevy engine they helped their uncle install one time.

Ahhh, sorry. I didn't realize you had a bunch of pilots helping you. Of course it would take longer that way.

Ahhh, sorry. I didn't realize you had a bunch of pilots helping you. Of course it would take longer that way.

Military pilots at that... :D

Anyway, if you are able to do this as others have described, in only 30 minutes while juggling bowling pins, hats off to you. If I had said I did it by myself in 10 minutes, someone would have posted they did it in 8.

As for this, your acceptance or belief of my experience is not necessary. I do recognize that there are subtle differences in the dimensions of the Dyna-Focal mounts that might play a factor in how difficult they are to mate up - but casting doubt on anothers statement of their experience just because it conflicts with your experience is not productive.

Last edited:
Alternate methods

First attempt at mounting an IO-360 took me a couple of hours (2 pilots and a teenager handicap). A few weeks later I had a need to remove the engine and discovered it was much easier to remove the mount from the airframe than than deal with the Dynafocal mount!
Has anyone considered mounting the engine vertically on the mount then lifting the whole assembly to the airframe?

Worked well for me(1 pilots and a teenager handicap) 20 mins:p

P.S. - This is NOT a shameless plug for my website. I am currently very busy dealing with Boeing and other commercial users of my rivet squeezers. If I could have attached this PDF file directly to this thread I would have.
Nice products! We should make you an honorary *mechanical* engineer.

AIRGUY,

I'm not casting doubts as to your or any one else's experience or statements. In the same way, the fact that you and a few others took only a short time to do the job should not cast doubt on my experience or the competency of the group I was involved with. And the ex military guys didnt just pick a wrench yesterday either. Those comments are in jest I'm sure, but how "productive" are they really? If you had no trouble that is super, and I take you at your word. My comment about the bowling pins were sarcastic directed at no one in particular about the "sport" on this forum involving "I know more than you do, since I did it faster". Another guy in our group also told me he had no trouble. I don't doubt him either.

I submitted this post as a SUGGESTION to others who might be planning on doing the job. One thing that is not productive on this site (since you mentioned productivity) is that sometimes others immediately assume that all experiences should be the same, or that someone is not doing the job right, based on the others experience.

No one has done a statistical data sampling of the time it takes to install the bolts into a dyna-focal engine mount (to my knowledge), but if there was the data, I bet there would be at least an equal number of people who had a royal batch of a time, versus a breeze.

Low pass,

Thanks for the comment of my hardware. Actually I've been functioning as a mechanical type for years now. I dont do much "aero" work with my degree. Yet.

Back