What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stabilator control horns too large

olegusan

Hi all,

I come across a weird thing.
I've put together the spar box assembly and tried on the control horns. (Page 09-03). They turned out to be about 1.5mm larger than the spar box. (see the attached pics). There must be some spacer or a doubler between the horns and the spar, but there is nothing in the plans.

DSCF4977.jpg

DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4974.jpg

What did I do wrong? How do I fix it?

Thank you

I fabricated 4 shim plates, of which I used only two in the end.

14ah9ue.jpg

They turned out to be about 1.5mm larger than the spar box.

I didn't know that you measure in "mm" in Australia too. :D
Now I got used to fractions of inches as well.

Last edited:
Shimmed mine also. Called Vans since at that time I was all worried about the ELSA stuff. Didn't seem to bother them and they said it was common.

There are a couple places that shims make sense. Consider them when it comes up. Once such place is the tail cones bulkheads. If you pull the skin into the bulkheads they will oil can around that area. Other RV'r (not the 12's) do this often. Don't over build it though, it's a solid design.

First post

Moving into the tail cone. My control horns fit perfect. Must be some variability in the horn fabrication.

That is affirmative....and I'm very impressed so far. Have vertical fin and rudder done and close to skinning the stabilator.

Best,

I had the same question. I owe you a trip down. I was supposed to visit with my Rocket a few years back but never made it. I guess I could do it in the -12. I've got to run to Dallas in early March to attend my Rotax class. maybe I could stop on the way back?

It won't be long and you will start to generate various offcuts just begging to be used as shims. Wing rib flanges come to mind immediately. Put it aside, mark it on your plans and use your scrap bin later.;)
Cheers, keep at it
Dave Hastwell

I had the same question. I owe you a trip down. I was supposed to visit with my Rocket a few years back but never made it. I guess I could do it in the -12. I've got to run to Dallas in early March to attend my Rotax class. maybe I could stop on the way back?

Where are you going for the Rotax class?
I was wanting to attend one also.
Thanks

+1
My problem is that I've been lucky so far and don't have any scrap and I can't see where I'd get enough cutoff to make the spacers from the rest of the empennage kit.
I'll have to find somewhere to get some from in the uk.

Last edited:
Back