Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboon View Post
It does not help that the 'window' is opaque, and that you cannot inspect the innards of the fuse box without removing the lid.
Actually the cover has a clear portion aligned over the row of fuses that allows for pretty easy inspection of whether a blown fuse indicator LED is lit or one of the fuses is displaced.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-22-2021, 09:15 AM

Yes but not on the 'left' side where these big fuses are located.
RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020
Old 04-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboon View Post
Yes but not on the 'left' side where these big fuses are located.
Valid point.

I forgot that the window is narrow and located primarily over the long row of fuses.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

I think the fuse issue was from before installing the engine. I pushed it back in place and had no problem with it since (but do check it once in a while!).
RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020

Last edited by jcboon : 05-05-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
One thing I would suggest to anyone that experiences this is to immediately recheck the pitch of the prop blades to confirm the pitch angle is within .1 degree of each other, and then get a dynamic prop balance ASAP.
This is a good point. Immediately after I solved my electrical problems, I started to do the dynamic prop balancing. The initial measurement was 0.26 ips @ 337. I think this is in the "not horrible, but needs improvement" range.

Now that the engine has a few hours on it, I will re-check the pitch before commencing the balancing process (and potentially start chasing my tail with blades that are pitched all wonky).
Old 05-09-2021, 01:56 PM

So my intermittent alternator problem has returned. I hesitate to even say it was ever fixed. I did take everyone's advice and twist the fuse blades slightly.. and replaced the hot glue with a bead of high-temp red RTV.

I've e-mailed Support on this one, as I'm out of things to try. I made a short video that shows you what I'm seeing.. I still have a feeling that the AN525 that was rolling around under the HIC module has something to do with this.. However, I inspected it and the traces on the module and they look great.. and the couple resistors and MOSFETs on the board seemed to test out OK too.. though I lacked the equipment at the hangar to do a proper test of the chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihHIc_CMAFc
Old 05-09-2021, 03:18 PM

You may have overheated regulator B. So you might have to replace it and the associated connectors.

Here are some related threads.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=192275

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/912is...ge-regulator-b
12iS SLSA #5
Salt Lake Int'l
Old 05-09-2021, 09:33 PM

I was not aware of the operating behavior of the regulators -- dissipating unused power. I'm glad that you brought that up.. its counterintuitive if you ever start experiencing regulator problems in flight.. turn more equipment on!

I may be on the wrong train of thought here.. but I think both regulators are operating OK. When first starting the engine, the battery is used, of course. Main Bus Power is supplied to the engine over Pin 2 of the EMS Fusebox X3 connector (the connector with the 3 thick white wires).

But once started, the fusebox switches the ECU over to Generator B/Regulator B.... and during that time, B is unavailable to supply aircraft loads. I'd also imagine that this Pin 2 wire should then get de-energized, as its not needed anymore.

Once you hit 2500RPM for a few seconds, then the ECU gets switched over to the smaller Generator A/Regulator A... and B becomes available for aircraft loads.

If Regulator A were having problems, the ECU can move back over to Generator B (and deprive the aircraft its power), but that is only allowed to happen ONCE during the flight. engine is allowed to switch the ECU back over to Gen B, but ONLY one time.. and its stuck there permanently until shutdown. If regulator B were having problems, I'd expect the engine would die quickly after a start attempt (or immediately switch it over to Gen A) ... which doesn't seem to be the case.