Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2020, 10:23 AM

Default Lane A and B generator failure on 2nd flight

I did my first flight on February 6th. Before that I accumulated 1 hour on the engine in testing, working the brakes and swinging the compass.
After a few weeks of poor weather I planned a second flight three weeks ago. Immediately after starting the engine, both lane lights started blinking. And afterwards Skyviews error read-out showed "generator failure".

I bought a dongle and borrowed a simulator. Today, running the engine with the simulator the error was confirmed. Rotax is looking into it, and I am waiting for their input. But I thought in the mean time I might ask if anybody on the forum has any experience with this. Any suggestions in finding the origin of the error are much appreciated.

RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020

Last edited by jcboon : 04-19-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Can't see any photos!
N112DR (RV-12iS) (SOLD)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 03-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolick22 View Post
Can't see any photos!
I see them with the Chrome browser but not the Edge browser.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:23 PM

See if you have any error lights in the Rotax engine fuse box. Look through the clear window on the fuse box cover which is on the left upper firewall under the cowl.
N199AD One Design...SOLD
N99AD BD4, flew for 22 years...SOLD
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG
Old 03-18-2020, 12:26 AM

I have a ULS, so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Wouldn?t you have a negative battery load indication if the generator really went Tango Uniform (technical term&#128541?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:40 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I understand little of the electrical design of the iS and I am very happy with any input.

Deene, all lights in the fuse box are in the green (with the engine not running).

Rich, you may be right that the generators went south. But if I understand correctly there are at least two of them. So I was hoping that this problem might be caused by a loose connection or cable. But I have no clue where to start looking.
RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020
Old 03-18-2020, 04:58 AM

I hope the pictures are visible now.
RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020

Last edited by jcboon : 03-18-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Lane a and b

My problems with the wiring connectors on my RV 12 ULS Rotax were numerous. The engine started with the MAGS ? OFF ! Luckly the AC was chocked, over crimped connectors cut the grounding wires, Other pins pulled out with very little pressure. I don't know who is to blame, electrical harness contractors or Rotax. May not be your prob but it was certinally was mine!!! Hope this helps other folks! GL Ben
Old 03-18-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Red Lights on Both Lanes

I own an RV12-iS ELSA, bought with 17 hours on it last September (all Garmin gear). In November, at run up, one lane light was solid red, and one blinking. Appeared that second generator not active. I taxied back to the ramp, shut down, waited five minutes, and started her up. No issues. Have made about 18 flights since then without a problem.

During the lane check, I may have turned off Lane A, turned it back on, then failed to wait for the red light to extinguish before turning off Lane B. Maybe. Since then I've been careful to not do that. I have no idea if what I did had any impact.
RV-12iS, N221TF, #121130
Old 03-19-2020, 04:18 PM

We had a vexing failure on the 12is that was recently completed by the Tango program. The signature was an intermittent low voltage and battery discharge warning from a possibly failing generator B. In this case, a B generator failure does not cause a lane B fail light indication

After major debug effort with excellent support from Vans and Leading Edge Airfoils, I found an intermittent pin on one of the connectors on a cable from the Rotax fuse box to the HIC module behind the instrument panel. This caused intermittent operation of the B generator regulator.

Since this was a prefabricated cable supplied with the RV12iS kit, you should carefully examine the connectors on the cables to the HIC. In our case one pin would not stay seated which cause the intermittent failure.

We replaced the pin on the wire and carefully installed it in the connector shell and all was well...
N199AD One Design...SOLD
N99AD BD4, flew for 22 years...SOLD
EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
CFII, MEI, CFIG