What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaring tool

ToadMan8

I am trying to close up my fuel tanks, but the lack of a tubing flaring tool is holding me up.

I was going to buy a cheaper one, as I am willing to put in a bit of extra time to save some bucks, but it then this discussion scared me a bit.

I don't see a recommendation at all on the RV tool list.

Cleaveland and Avery both sell the same one.

Should I just assume that they've done the heavy lifting for me, and buy that one?

Aircraft Spruce has a whole bunch ranging from $80 to $595 (?!), including, I think, the one that Cleaveland and Avery seem to have settled on.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

I am trying to close up my fuel tanks, but the lack of a tubing flaring tool is holding me up.

I was going to buy a cheaper one, as I am willing to put in a bit of extra time to save some bucks, but it then this discussion scared me a bit.

I don't see a recommendation at all on the RV tool list.

Cleaveland and Avery both sell the same one.

Should I just assume that they've done the heavy lifting for me, and buy that one?

Aircraft Spruce has a whole bunch ranging from $80 to $595 (?!), including, I think, the one that Cleaveland and Avery seem to have settled on.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

The Parker tool will work just fine, lightly oil the end of the tube before forming the flare and don't over-form the flare. This is a good tool to have in your shop even though it is a little pricy.

Is this a tool worth owning? Or should I see if i can borrow from the local EAA chapter or another local builder?

thanks
Ken

Go for the Rolo-Flaring Tool

I have the Parker Rolo-Flare Flaring Tool and haven't had any problems with it and must admin it works perfectly everytime.

Just a few tips like Sam mentioned above:
1. Using some scrap tubes practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.
2. Deburr the tube, clean, and oil both the tube and the tool's cone each time before each use.
3. Do not overtighten the tool after it is finger-tight.

Works great on my AOA/Pitot tube lines. Will soon start fuel lines.
Money well invested for a tool that will be used throughout the build.
M2$

Last edited:
if you know of a hvac (heating or cooling guy or shop)
you can take it there and they might be able to help as all of there tubing is 37 deg. i have a complete set because of doing hvac.
if i can help anyone localy let me know.

As usual this is a tool that comes in a variety of shapes and sizes so everyone loves the one they purchased. Take a look at this one that Aircraft Spruce sells (among others). I have had a similar one like this for many years and love it. I also have worked a few times with the Parker Rolo-Flair. Also an excellent tool but is a bigger and harder to use in tight locations.

12-01582.jpg

Last edited:
The Parker tool will work just fine, lightly oil the end of the tube before forming the flare and don't over-form the flare. This is a good tool to have in your shop even though it is a little pricy.

+1 The Parker tool makes excellent flares with these notes. Fuel leaks, and sucking air was not worth the risk to me so I got the Parker. I am not disappointed, but I AM a tool guy. Maybe someone has one to sell if they are flying.

Happy flaring!

Back