Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2021, 08:17 AM

Default Changing to push-button start/e-mags w/ new panel?

I debated where to post this, since it touches avionics, new panels and ignition systems at the same time...

I'm in process of getting quotes for a new panel and turning my airplane from a nice analog-VFR machine to more of a glass-IFR machine.

One of the things I've liked in some airplanes I've flown is a simple process of turning on the mags and battery and hitting a push-button to start as opposed to using a key. Seems simpler.

Any reason why I shouldn't do that with the new panel, since I'm re-wiring a lot of things?

I have Slick mags on my O-360 right now, and I've been considering going to eMags for all the normal reasons (efficiency, normal plugs) since they're coming up on overhaul and wondered if a switch to those mags would have any effect on the push button start idea above...I don't think so but I don't know for sure.

In short, these are major changes. I think this is something I want to do, but I don't know what I don't know yet, especially around dependencies. I'd certainly appreciate your thoughts and opinions about the way to go about this, since I'm certain some of you have made this decision yourselves more than once. (I'm looking in your direction, Carl.)

Old 02-18-2021, 08:53 AM

Default My thoughts

I love not having a key. I see no drawbacks in going to rmag lmag switches, with push button to start. I would recommend as a layer of safety, a disconnect button, out of easy sight. This makes it a bit safer from the unknowing playing in cockpit as well as potential thief . No issues traditional mags or electronic that Iím aware of. Good luck and enjoy your upgrade/ process.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
I love not having a key. I see no drawbacks in going to rmag lmag switches, with push button to start. I would recommend as a layer of safety, a disconnect button, out of easy sight. This makes it a bit safer from the unknowing playing in cockpit as well as potential thief . No issues traditional mags or electronic that Iím aware of. Good luck and enjoy your upgrade/ process.
I also see no draw back in conjunction with PMAG but I am puzzled about the safety comment and unknowingly playing with it. In my view, it is has more of a chance of accidentally hitting that push button and invitation for theft.

With a key out, a kid can not possibly crank the engine but that can not be said with the push button.
Dues paid
Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM

"With a key out, a kid can not possibly crank the engine but that can not be said with the push button."

This is very true if you fail to monitor what is going on in your aircraft.

As another has mentioned above, a hidden kill switch for power to the start button. Then you will have safety, simplicity and convince.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Save the PlanetÖ...............Itís the only place that has beer!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
"With a key out, a kid can not possibly crank the engine but that can not be said with the push button."

This is very true if you fail to monitor what is going on in your aircraft.

As another has mentioned above, a hidden kill switch for power to the start button. Then you will have safety, simplicity and convince.
I considered this. Decided that putting a lock on the mixture knob was a simple solution. wow

Glad to hear I'm not out of my mind.

If I went from the slicks to the emags AFTER I did the panel, would anything need to change? Could the same switches be used?
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM

In my mind, accidentally hitting the button or an unsupervised kid poking it is pretty unlikely.

Not saying it's never happened, but there are literally thousands of certified airplanes out there with a pushbutton instead of a key start. If it was a problem, we would have heard about it by now.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 02-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
In my mind, accidentally hitting the button or an unsupervised kid poking it is pretty unlikely.

Not saying it's never happened, but there are literally thousands of certified airplanes out there with a pushbutton instead of a key start. If it was a problem, we would have heard about it by now.
That's good to hear, since I have a pushbutton. If there is any chance of someone getting into my cockpit, like at an airshow or fly-in, my plan is to disconnect the ground lead to the battery. It's "easily" accessible from the oil door.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:22 PM

Default Why not have it all?

Slow build kit #40874
Homebuilt Kit Champion Oshkosh 2019
Atlantic crossings: 2
Old 02-18-2021, 02:27 PM

I believe homeland security has a 2 lock rule they made after 9/11 for aircraft outside. You may need a prop lock if you wind up tied down while away from home. Ignition key and door key satisfied the rule. Something to consider.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH265 View Post
I believe homeland security has a 2 lock rule they made after 9/11 for aircraft outside. You may need a prop lock if you wind up tied down while away from home. Ignition key and door key satisfied the rule. Something to consider.
This is interesting - I didn't realize that was a rule. My airplane does live in a locked hangar but I didn't know that was a requirement.

Funny, though. I'm pretty sure the keys from some 172s will open/start most other 172s....