- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:09 PM

Default dry transfers on panel

Have any of you who used the Custom Rub on Transfers on your RV panel had a bunch of letters fall off the transfer sheet before even getting them lined up? I started applying yesterday and have wasted over half the sheet due to missing letters. The applied transfers look really good.
This order took way longer to receive than the website suggested so am not looking forward to placing another order. I have called twice and left voicemails. Emailed twice and no response. I'm not sure how to carry on except re-order.
C-FTJE
Restoring a '47 Luscombe
Old 06-24-2022, 02:24 PM

Default Rub-on lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeja View Post
Have any of you who used the Custom Rub on Transfers on your RV panel had a bunch of letters fall off the transfer sheet before even getting them lined up? I started applying yesterday and have wasted over half the sheet due to missing letters. The applied transfers look really good.
This order took way longer to receive than the website suggested so am not looking forward to placing another order. I have called twice and left voicemails. Emailed twice and no response. I'm not sure how to carry on except re-order.
Back in the Old Days (early '90's) I had to make do with what was available. My panel (and other areas) were done with rub-on lettering from Office Depot or whatever was selling them at the time. It's a PITA in that you have to find, line up and rub on every individual letter but none "fall off" or get lost. Don't like the placement? Scratch it off and do it over. Then mine were oversprayed with a clear coat and they have been heck-for-stout since.

Problem will be finding lettering that match what you have already put on. Amazon might be a good resource. There will be other suggestions to follow as well. Rub-on is likely older technology.....but it worked at the time....
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber!
Old 06-24-2022, 02:46 PM

Default Vinyl skin

You could have the whole panel printed on vinyl.
Here's the draft magazine article on how it was done.
https://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com/p/...anel-skin.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_113745.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	27434
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the pic Larry. Iím thinking about using the vinyl overlay also, but didnít know how it would look. Iím at either the carbon fiber look like you have in your picture, or a flat metallic charcoal color. Iím looking at vinyl made by VviVid out of Quebec. What are you using? I donít want something that will peel off, or get bubbles in a couple years. Iím guessing that cutting out round holes in the vinyl will have to be done with an exacto knife. The rectangular holes are easy.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Phase 1
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 06-24-2022, 05:12 PM

Default Vinyl skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Thanks for the pic Larry. Iím thinking about using the vinyl overlay also, but didnít know how it would look. Iím at either the carbon fiber look like you have in your picture, or a flat metallic charcoal color. Iím looking at vinyl made by VviVid out of Quebec. What are you using? I donít want something that will peel off, or get bubbles in a couple years. Iím guessing that cutting out round holes in the vinyl will have to be done with an exacto knife. The rectangular holes are easy.
Mine is 3M 1080 Carbon Fiber vinyl.
The beauty of a skin designed in CAD and Adobe Illustrator is the skin is repeatable. The first skin was printed black on white and used to cut the panel holes. It can also be done waterjet from the same CAD drawing. Then the panel is cleaned up. The final skin is printed whatever text color on whatever color vinyl. Since it's the same file, it fits.
Printers can cut almost anything. Some use a unique color. Ask what color for cut lines. The machine sees the color and cuts perfectly.
Caveots apply...
1. The printer must have a white ink printer to print on colored vinyl. Some are very particular and will not print on customer vinyl. You may want to ask. That's how mine is done. They may also have some colors of vinyl.
2. It may be worth a test to see how you like a CMYK print on standard white. I've seen some really nice work. Not carbon but virtually any color your computer can generate. Cost is typically about $15 per square foot. My control labels were printed CMYK on white. The black is solid black.
Questions, feel free to ask.
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:13 PM

Larry,
Wow! That is light years ahead of anything I am capable of. I know zero about CAD, and not sure what adobe is. I was thinking of just using a sheet of the vinyl and cutting out my holes from behind the panel. I would use my brother printer for labels. I am looking for a quality vinyl that will hold up for maybe 10 years. Maybe I should just paint the panel.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Phase 1
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 06-24-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeja View Post
I didn't have any problem with the letters falling off of the transfer sheet. The only issue I had was making contact with the panel surface before I was ready while lining them up and having them come apart went I tried to pull them back up.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/catego...846&category=0
Old 06-24-2022, 06:47 PM

Email them. They should make it right.
I have an old email address if you need it.
They do have a shelf life. The fresher, the better.

N164WM RV-6A Slider/O-360/FP Sold 4/2022
N184WM (RV-8) In final assembly at the airport. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB) Empennage kit and QB wings in the shop
Old 06-24-2022, 07:10 PM

Default Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Larry,
Wow! That is light years ahead of anything I am capable of. I know zero about CAD, and not sure what adobe is. I was thinking of just using a sheet of the vinyl and cutting out my holes from behind the panel. I would use my brother printer for labels. I am looking for a quality vinyl that will hold up for maybe 10 years. Maybe I should just paint the panel.
In that case it's personal preference. Buy a sample set of 3M 2080. Or, if you have a narrow selection, buy 12x12 samples. Colors don't look the same as on the computer. You want to see the actual vinyl. Try Fellers or MetroRestyling. Vvivid is also a good product.
I like the wet application process. Buy a bottle of Rapid Tac. Just like painting, clean, clean, clean then clean again. Rapid Tac is also a good final cleaning product. Wipe with a tac cloth just to be sure. Spray the surface and the vinyl as you peel backing. Rapid Tac will allow you to work from center out. Squeegee out the liquid and bubbles toward the outside. Let the part set up overnight. Cut holes out with an Xacto. Pretty easy.
Disclaimer
Old 06-24-2022, 08:37 PM

I did a transfer with ink and it worked great, you have to be very particular on laying it down, pro tip is to spray on clear coat after you apply it to lock it in. My panel turned out great. I used a printing company to print mine out. I used Adobe illustrator to make my panel design.