Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Time in Garage vs Hangar?

Hi,
I'm planning to build most of my -14A in my 5 car garage. Should be roomy enough and has heat, cool, lights. But, presumably, the time will come when wings need to be attached. I have no hangar, yet. When I do, it will probably not be as comfy as my garage shop. So.... how much time, estimated, is needed to assemble this ship, assuming everything that can be assembled in the garage is already assembled? I know it depends on lots of stuff, and not plug and play, but just a ballpark would help me plan for when this happens, cuz spring-summer would be better than freezing my nads off in an unheated hanger in a CO winter.
S
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 AM

It was probably a couple hundred hours for us to do final assembly on the 9A plus the hundreds of other things you end up discovering you need to finish up.

Do absolutely everything you can do at home. Make the wing assembly the last possible thing and only then move to the hangar.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to build most of my -14A in my 5 car garage. Should be roomy enough and has heat, cool, lights. But, presumably, the time will come when wings need to be attached. I have no hangar, yet. When I do, it will probably not be as comfy as my garage shop. So.... how much time, estimated, is needed to assemble this ship, assuming everything that can be assembled in the garage is already assembled? I know it depends on lots of stuff, and not plug and play, but just a ballpark would help me plan for when this happens, cuz spring-summer would be better than freezing my nads off in an unheated hanger in a CO winter.
S
I built my -14A to a point where I could do no more in the garage. I was flying less than one month after move to hangar. Mostly I was doing assembly in the hangar - attaching all the tailfeathers, installing the canopy (final install), putting wings on and fitting the wing root fairings, connecting wiring, testing all the wiring, calibrating avionics, test engine runs, setting prop max RPM, etc. Pretty hectic schedule during that time - not working and pretty much at the hangar every day.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 AM

You should be able to assemble the airplane for test flight in 2-3 months, tops. Probably less, if you have friends to help with wing installation, avionics debugging, fuel tank calibration, fuel flow testing, weight and balance, etc. YMMV.
Miss March 2020
Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 AM

Default Builder group

Scott
I manage a Google Group, Colorado RVs. If you would like to join, shoot me an e-mail (signature below) from a G-mail account. Sorry, Google rules. Please include full name a phone number. We have several members with 14s.
I am building a 7a (Firewall Forward) in Estes Park with a hangar at NorCo. I plan to do everything possible at home
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:16 AM

If your car garage is open, I don't see any reason that you cannot do a complete setup including wings and then reassemble in the airport/hanger.

I did a complete assembly and setup in my house. My garage was not big enough to attached them so it was done in my drive way. The tasks that requires wings to be attached are far less with the 14/14A then 6/7/8/9

Once I took it to the hanger, It was ready for W&B in two days and two days later it was inspected. If I am not mistaking it was two weeks from move to the hanger to the first flight for me.

P.S. A friend and active member here also finished his 14 which was completely assembled in his house. I believe his first flight took even less from the time of move to the airport to the first flight.
Dues paid

Last edited by Bavafa : 05-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM

Basically, do as much as possible in your garage and resist the excitement of moving to the hangar too soon. Being in close proximity, you'll get more done. An hour after work or dinner every night makes a huge difference overall. Once it moves to the hangar, progress will likely slow way down.

We did everything except mount the wings. Time to hanger was 14 months then just a few weeks in the hanger for condition inspection, finishing things up, squawks, etc.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 AM

Lots of good replies so far. My opinion is, about a month if you do most everything you can at home.

My advice on hangars is, if you are going to buy one, buy one a.s.a.p., at least in most regions. Around here, hangars rarely come available, and you don't want to own an unhangared RV. I bought one before I started my kit, and was able to find a renter within a week. And each time that person left, another one wanted it within a week. When I got close to completion I just told the renter that his time would be up soon.

Hangars are so important that I don't think I'd even try to move to the airport until I had one.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM

All good info. Thanks much. Sounds like getting a hangar in early spring will get me in the air by fall, at least. Cool. That's what I hoped.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
I built my -14A to a point where I could do no more in the garage. I was flying less than one month after move to hangar. Mostly I was doing assembly in the hangar - attaching all the tailfeathers, installing the canopy (final install), putting wings on and fitting the wing root fairings, connecting wiring, testing all the wiring, calibrating avionics, test engine runs, setting prop max RPM, etc. Pretty hectic schedule during that time - not working and pretty much at the hangar every day.
same here with my 10. about 3 weeks at the airport full time.