What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pistons "made in Poland"???

GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
So I wonder into my hangar the other day and notice my hangar mate bought a new snazzy bore scope. I decide to give it a try on my 0 time SMOH O360 that I recently purchased. I look in the plug hole and see "made in Poland" stamped on the piston (in ink). Poland? Really??? Is this normal??? The rebuild seems to be very well documented with lots of new parts (including the pistons) and was intended to go into a certified aircraft, so I'm guessing this is not a problem. It just seems strange to me. Anyone know anything about these pistons?

Last edited:
My engine pistons were made in Brazil! It's just the direction that manufacturing is going in this country, what a shame.

ECI pistons are made in Poland. I have a very precise chuck on my lathe that was also made in Poland. So no Polish jokes about stuff that's machined there, they make some fine stuff. :)

Not to say that Poland and other Country's don't make good parts but it's just a matter of time before we forget how to do it for our selves.

Not to say that Poland and other Country's don't make good parts but it's just a matter of time before we forget how to do it for our selves.

We are there now in some industries. I find it almost impossible today to find decent petrochemical engineers coming out of the universities, all the old-timers that really knew this stuff have retired and nobody is teaching the kids anymore.

We are there now in some industries. I find it almost impossible today to find decent petrochemical engineers coming out of the universities, all the old-timers that really knew this stuff have retired and nobody is teaching the kids anymore.

I agree. Education is where it all starts (or ends). My wife is Polish, so I have been there many times visiting friends and family across the country. Most of the young people (especially children) that I have met there have a great work ethic and a strong determination to learn. The idea of suing a teacher/school for unfair grading curves (really!?:mad:) would absolutely not be tolerated there. They do some excellent manufacturing too. In fact, my Burton snowboard says Made in Poland. With any luck, the US won't forget everything before we realize what's happening in our schools. Let's cut out the costs for admin and over-regulation, and quit trying to make sure every school has a giant stadium and uber-chic building design. That way, we can pay good teachers what they're worth once again, and start valuing/trusting what they do. End of rant...

ECI pistons are made in Poland. I have a very precise chuck on my lathe that was also made in Poland. So no Polish jokes about stuff that's machined there, they make some fine stuff. :)

I have always had great luck with anything made in Poland.

Off topic- New Avatar, Bob? I just noticed it. TOOO FUNNY.

Sikorsky builds UH-60's there with our tax dollars. The Eclipse 550 jet is also manufactured there. It is no wonder our economy is improving so fast. Not.

Keeping it RV related...I am guessing my RV-10 was built with 90% US mfd parts.

When Vans assembled in the Czech Republic, the build quality and priming were exemplary.

Can't say the same for the current assembly in Philippines - mistakes, smiles, wrinkles, wash primer........

Britain is sadly going the same way though with many of our good Engineers getting older and skill sets dying out when they retire.

Where can you get a starter rewound and tested ?

Who can mill up some widgets for a project ?

Where can you get good aluminium welding done ?

There are places, but most of the fellas are, should we say - experienced, mature and about to retire :(

Trend Underway for decades,

Mahle has produced pistons, good ones, in Brazil for decades. My first encounter with Brazilian mahle pistons was for VW air-cooled engines in the early 70's. They were as good as the German made ones when others weren't.

It's funny, in building this 7, I am buying more $ in components made in the USA, than ever in my life, including all the cars over the years. One exception, my house, and lot.

When I worked at a US engine supplier in the mid 80's outsourcing was in high gear to break the supply chain links and limit liability.

I suppose we are all free to open a business making valves, guides, pistons, rings or other components to reverse this trend, but these are big businesses with low margins. The higher levels of the food chain (assemblers) make the most margins, while typically adding the lowest technical content.

No easy answers.

teach them well...

I find it almost impossible today to find decent petrochemical engineers coming out of the universities, all the old-timers that really knew this stuff have retired and nobody is teaching the kids anymore. - airguy

So, why don't you teach them?

Lots of chinese 4130 tubing and sheet. Very marginal looking stuff. 4130 tubing from Germany is very high quality.

We where just cutting a run of Van's tubing and I took note, about 50% split between these companies, Promoly is made in the U.S.A. and Benteler is made in Germany.

http://www.plymouth.com/products/carbon-and-alloy-tubing/promoly-4130-steel-tubing/

http://www.benteler-distribution.co.uk/uploads/media/PTG700.pdf

At least German steel should be better than Chinese steel...:)

Is the German stuff actually marked 4130? ...or is it their PTG-700 product, which actually sounds a little better than 4130.

Last edited:
Back