- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 PM

Default Trimming Stiffeners

Just working on my practice kit, but figured I'd ask the dumb question before getting to the empennage...

The plans say to trim the stiffeners by cutting to the middle of the holes punched in the angle. That leaves kind of a sharp and awkward hook on the stiffeners though. Is there a reason not to just trim so that you take out the hole completely so it's a perfectly smooth edge?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:46 PM

Default Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelrad View Post
Just working on my practice kit, but figured I'd ask the dumb question before getting to the empennage...

The plans say to trim the stiffeners by cutting to the middle of the holes punched in the angle. That leaves kind of a sharp and awkward hook on the stiffeners though. Is there a reason not to just trim so that you take out the hole completely so it's a perfectly smooth edge?
I hope it's ok cuz that's how I trimmed mine.
Technically I cut per instructions then filed till the sharp corners of the hole were gone.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 06-11-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I hope it's ok cuz that's how I trimmed mine.
Technically I cut per instructions then filed till the sharp corners of the hole were gone.
For something like stiffeners I kind of figure it’s no big deal either way, but I like to push the envelope of “there are no stupid questions.”
Old 06-12-2021, 05:39 AM

i cut mine from hole to hole then smoothed the remaining half holes on the 3m wheel.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:17 AM

Default Make a go-no go wedge gauge.

I tried to make them perfect- - - - lesson learned is perfect is what fits not what my interpretation of the instructions say.

So - make a wedge the same angle as the internal rudder/elevator cavity and test the stiffeners in there. My stiffeners touched the opposite skin, so some rework was needed.

RV-7
Old 06-12-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslow2 View Post
i cut mine from hole to hole then smoothed the remaining half holes on the 3m wheel.
Same here.

If you don’t have a grinding wheel with a big 3M wheel you will want one.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:59 AM

After you do two or three you will get it. Cut them per the plans then grind them to shape. I have a grinder with a metal grinder on one side and a scotchbright wheel on the other. You will use both.
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2021 donator
Old 06-12-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post
After you do two or three you will get it. Cut them per the plans then grind them to shape. I have a grinder with a metal grinder on one side and a scotchbright wheel on the other. You will use both.
Cautionary here - Not advisable to use a stone ‘metal grinder’ with aluminum. The grinding wheel tends to melt aluminum & if that buildup on the wheel gets too hot, has the potential of exploding off in your face.
Better to do your cuts & use a bench belt sander (or sanding disc) to shape your part, than clean it up on a scotchbright wheel or deburring tool.

This & many more safety topics are the first items we cover in our Sportair courses.

Lots of Best Practices discussion on this forum lately...

Last edited by Ralph Inkster : 06-12-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:06 PM

I believe the reason they tell you to cut in the middle is so you don't accidentally remove material from the meat of a piece. I cut them then filed the left over tab even with the main piece and then deburred. The "remove" areas usually show you completely removing the tabs if you zoom in on the pictures. See enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remove areas.png
Views:	21
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	12539  

RV14A Tail kit 95%
Wing kit 95%
Fuselage QB stuck in China virus corrosion purgatory

RV 14 WIKI in Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

please purchase the thumb drive Vans offers. I DO NOT want to take away from sales flow or get the WIKI Killed.

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.

EAA 1300
Donation Paid 18,19,20,21 Military exempt
Old 06-12-2021, 04:03 PM

Default Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post
Only took one hit on my steel grinding wheel to take that off! I put a polishing wheel in it's place. Not saying it's wrong, just that I forgot it was there and caught a part on it. Had to buy a replacement. When I need to grind steel, I swap it.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.