Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawrzynskivp View Post

There is also the opportunity now to hire an experienced RV pilot to fly along with you on your first few flights if you are willing to do the paperwork.
Though I was current (in Citabrias/Decathalons), I flew my first ~20 hours with a local, super seasoned experimental pilot under the AC 90-116 additional pilot program. There is an authorization section that needs to be in your AW cert and the additional pilot needs to be on your insurance - both easy to do. This was all done gratis, so no for compensation or hire issues.

During all my flights, he didn't need to touch the controls at all (fortunately!), but it was very helpful to have an experienced eye watching the engine/traffic/etc early on and to help to interpret performance while stretching the envelope.

We finished up Phase 1 with a full aerobatic sequence to really shake down the plane -- and log it in Phase 1 for future adventures in Phase 2.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:01 PM

Smile Inexpensive considerations...

Consider these inexpensive ways to gain great experience while you are putting the finishing touches on your 7A:

1. Sporty's Learn to Fly Course
My son is doing flight training right now and it looks like a great interactive course with attention keeping videos and graphics. As a CFI I look for ways to stay on top of changing regulations and reminding myself of things I've forgotten. I think this course will allow you to go back and review things in the future too, which comes in handy.

2. Ride in as many RVs, and other airplanes as possible.
Time is limited. Honestly, it isn't always feasible to fly half way across the country to find that one guy who teaches that one thing. By riding along with other guys going up for a quick flight after work or a trip to the pancake breakfast on Saturday morning, you'll see a lot of things. Remember your training, watch for good habits and bad ones. Immersing yourself in the flying environment will make the books learning and ground school videos come to life.

3. When you are ready to focus, find a transition training course that works for you and your insurance company. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat. If you are going to do your maiden flight there is a much more robust training path ahead than if you are going to use a friend/test pilot to fly the first few flights on your newly minted 7A.

4. Use an EAA Technical Advisor to go over your build several times during the last year of construction. You might be pleasantly surprised at how many things can be sorted out by having an experienced eye look over your work. Document the EAA Technical Advisors visits.

5. Check out the EAA Test Flight Manual. Take a step by step approach to Phase 1 by following a well thought out program like this one with the help of an EAA Flight Advisor familiar with the RV-7A. This will be a rewarding process and promotes safety beyond your transition training and flying with your local RV pilots on the weekends.

6. You are at the perfect stage in your flying experience to take advantage of all these programs that have been put in place to make sure you are successful. On the other end of it, after you've completed Phase 1 with your new 7A, you'll have a great deal of experience to pass on to the experimental community around if you take a step by step approach.

Enjoy, have fun, this is a great community and you've already taken one of the most important steps in reaching out here on VAF. Now to sort out all the options!

Launching from SC45
Old 06-12-2021, 09:36 PM

Definitely will be reaching out to the local KLVK EAA guys. I donít go to many chapter meetings because Iím so busy with work but it might be time to start. Really need a thorough look over.

Regarding the AC 90-116 additional pilot program, that seems like a lot to ask of someone but Iíll look around locally. Someone also graciously reached out here offering to help so I guess some people are ok with going up in some random builderís project!
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Everything done that can be done at home. Waiting for hangar to finish up.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Funny you mention this. In addition to my glass, I also installed a steam altimeter and steam airspeed indicator into my panel
I have a similar setup in my -9A, and I find I'll use the EFIS' moving tape display for airspeed but the steam altimeter for altitude.
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart