-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:21 PM

You'll need a second set of hands for about 2-3 hours total on the entire airplane, or at least I did. I usually saved up a few items that required a second set of hands and when I had the opportunity - "Hey, you got a minute? I need a quick hand in the shop for a couple things."
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:58 PM

Total Solo?
I am envious of those:
-who can reach all those rivet holes, buck & gun in each hand (long arms, ambidextrous).
-that can balance those big bulky and awkward assemblies without crashing them. (ballerina/weightlifter strength)
-those that can crawl into & get out of tight spots without getting stuck (like a snake)
-those who have the ultimate skills that don't need that extra set of eyes to QC your work.

Other than that, yes you can build solo but in actual practice you need a second set of hands/eyes only a small fraction of the build time.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:42 PM

Default 128 rivets

I needed help with 128 rivets in my -9A. Most were in the bottom wing skins, more left than right due to less confidence and finger strength in my left hand. I have slow build wings and a quick build fuselage. Iím 5í 11Ē and average span, about 190 lbs. tungsten bar helped a bunch in control. You just donít ever want to drop it.
2011-2021 VAF contributor
Old 05-20-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcthree View Post
I needed help with 128 rivets in my -9A. Most were in the bottom wing skins, more left than right due to less confidence and finger strength in my left hand. I have slow build wings and a quick build fuselage. Iím 5í 11Ē and average span, about 190 lbs. tungsten bar helped a bunch in control. You just donít ever want to drop it.
When I first read this I read "about 190 lb tungsten bar" 🤣
Old 05-20-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslow2 View Post
When I first read this I read "about 190 lb tungsten bar" 🤣
That would mesh well with advice not to drop it, though. If you do, try to drop it on your foot. Bones heal but tungsten is brittle and expensive.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
Bones heal but tungsten is brittle and expensive.
And wing skins are ductile and expensive - don't drop them in there either!
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
And wing skins are ductile and expensive - don't drop them in there either!
Good tip! I made a lanyard for my tungsten bar. Saved several dents!

I know all too well about broken bones. Six so far. Last one was two at once. Tibia has a 12mm Titanium pin. Fibula didn't require it. ER Dr thought it was funny.
He said, "Tibia and Fibula are broken." I said the Fibula didn't hurt. He said, "Want me to make it hurt?" Gee thanks doc. They thought I was nuts cuz I wouldn't let them cut my new jeans or my snow boots. Bones heal. Hard to find a good pair of jeans and even harder to find a perfecf pair of snow boots!
That was back in 2015. Built the tanks with a broken leg.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_Joe View Post
Has anyone or is it even possible to build a 9A without any assistance? I have built 100+mph racing go karts, custom motorcycles, and hot rods, my favorite being a '50 Chevy sedan delivery with a dual quad 409. I have done all of these without assistance but none of these involved bucking unreachable rivets. Would it be wrong to use blind rivets in such places? I can use hoists to move and position heavy items. Is it totally not possible or would it be the first?
I personally know a builder who did 100% work solo on his 9. There are places he would do better with help thatís what he said. I completed 99.9 % myself the airframe is still holding together after 5K+ hours

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
On the -10, joining the tailcone to the fuselage was the one place where I could not work with tools in hand, solo. I built a "backriveting stand" out of wood and carpenters shims that held the backriveting bar exactly in place. Each rivet took several minutes to adjust the stand for exactly the right height and location, but it worked fine.
I did exactly the same thing.
I believe I did the whole -10 QB solo, except I had my wife help with a half dozen firewall rivets where my arms were nowhere near long enough. Solo can add a lot of time, but also a certain amount of satisfaction.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:45 AM

Default Thanks

First of all, I want to say thanks for all of the replies. I have been monitoring this board for over a year and I am very impressed how responsive and helpful y'all are

Now my take away from your responses is that just about all of it can be done solo but there are a few places that assistance is just about required. And also having done woodworking I know that jig and fixture making makes hard tasks possible with precision, even though the time spent making the jig takes X-times long than the task itself.

I have not reached out to the local EAA, which i am a member, but if I get a fraction of the enthusiasm as I have gotten from here I'm sure a helping hand might be available.

Another thing I have discovered is that when I come up against something where assistance is absolutely required, and none is currently available, is to move on with another tasks, which there will be plenty, and accumulate several so when help is available they can all be knocked out at once since each usually doesn't take much time. My wife is actually quite handy and helpful, this question was more of a "can it be done" question because I am out in the shop by myself 99% of the time. I have also discovered that sometimes when I can't quite figure out how I'm going to do something having a second set of eyes look at it, even though it's usually me explaining the problem to them that I come up with the solution myself.

I would also like to thank Wirejock Larry for already volunteering to help. Thanks Larry but I don't have a kit yet, so I don't want to waste your time, but maybe in the future I might put out a request for help. And, Rjcthree Rick I am impressed that you kept track that there were 128 rivets that you needed help with. I can only imagine the details in your builders log.

One other thing that I have discovered monitoring this forum is that when a builder has a question or problem many builders have already been there and done that so multiple solutions and opinions are available to ponder.

Thanks again for all of your insights, opinions, and building experiences.