- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Default Panel drawing

My grand daughter is a Graphic Artist for a Vinyl Wrap company. We talked a bit about printing on vinyl and I started thinking about a printed panel skin. She thought they could use a CAD file. They print and apply tons of vinyl for vehicles. Mostly 3M1080.

There are panel drawings in the download section here but they have no switch labels.

Does anyone have a 7 Slider panel CAD layout they might be willing to share?
I'm not trying to steal anyone's hard work. A simple early version with some switch labels and maybe some border lines is all I need. I just want to see if they can print or work from a CAD file. DXF please. If it works, I will find a CAD program, start the learning process and create my own file.
The file will tell me of it can be done and it's worth learning another program. I may even have a sample printed just to play.

Please don't stomp all over my plan. It's just an idea and it's my airplane. I don't want comments about how horrible the plan or why I shouldn't do it. Please.

A simple, "Yes, I am happy to share. Sending an e-mail", will suffice.
My e-mail address is in my signature below.
Thanks in advance.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 AM

I think it's a great idea. I worked with a guy (http://www.upnorthaviation.com) to do a panel and he sent me the cad file, and it was perfect. I'm sure he can do the same for you, based off the Van's CAD file.

Last edited by rv8ch : 06-04-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:55 AM

Larry

I have done an RV8 and an RV7 panel. Used DeltaCad to lay out the panel and had it water jet cut for about $100 and then took the file to a print shop for the over lay $50. You can have any back ground color / design you wish. I did carbon fiber background on one. This makes lettering very easy and if you need to change something down the road you can reprint and peal the old one off. If there is enough interest I will build a web page with pictures and files. Will send you an email.
RV-6 sold
RV-8 Flying
RV-14A building
Old 06-05-2021, 04:06 AM

Default Vinyl panel overlay

Iíve been pondering a similar method but experience of others here in cold Scotland is that the sticky back vinyl wonít stay put in any heat. Not sure about 3m
The method I was recommended is a water based transfer over base layer of primer paint particularly for semi transparent overlays such as carbon fibre graphics. Switch labels applied over that and the whole locked in with a lacquer overcoat.
RV14 (partly completed by another builder) in the queue
Dues paid 2021 - keep up the good work !
Old 06-05-2021, 05:24 AM

Default DXF file sent

Hi Larry,
I have emailed you a basic panel layout in DXF format, it is based on the RV-7 DXF file download from vansaircraft.com and then I copied over some of the basic design that is in progress for my RV-6A panel. The CAD program I use is TurboCAD. Screen grab is attached to this post and the DXF file should be in your yahoo inbox.
Regards
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Larry.png
Views:	38
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	12266  
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 06-05-2021, 08:47 AM

I seem to recall that when applying vinyl you use a heat gun to "set" it, the heat softens the vinyl and shrinks it so it pulls out minor bumps and conforms to rivet heads, screw heads, seams, etc. Does that also distort any printing on the surface? or does it not distort enough that it would be noticeable?

I like the idea of printing the panel... It would look pretty slick.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I seem to recall that when applying vinyl you use a heat gun to "set" it, the heat softens the vinyl and shrinks it so it pulls out minor bumps and conforms to rivet heads, screw heads, seams, etc. Does that also distort any printing on the surface? or does it not distort enough that it would be noticeable?

I like the idea of printing the panel... It would look pretty slick.
That Sir is exactly what thjs excercise is about. I did recieve one file and need to call someone about another so I should be set with files. If they ca print from the file, the plan is to print one on whatever 1080 they have and slap it on a piece of scrap to see what happens. I'll post the results of the experiment.
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:45 PM

Default File

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
Hi Larry,
I have emailed you a basic panel layout in DXF format, it is based on the RV-7 DXF file download from vansaircraft.com and then I copied over some of the basic design that is in progress for my RV-6A panel. The CAD program I use is TurboCAD. Screen grab is attached to this post and the DXF file should be in your yahoo inbox.
Regards
Paul.
Thanks. Yes. That will work. I llan to call the other builder to see if his is a 7.
Disclaimer