Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Most of the helper requirements are for unskilled labor and most any neighbor can help.
That's my experience so far building a -7, though admittedly I learned most of the skills building a -6 with my dad many years ago. Things like hanging wings are far easier with a couple of helpers, but don't take that long at all. I had some coworkers help out getting the wings on and off, and it only cost me about $20 in beer.

I've found that the required skills for riveting the few places that I can't reach myself (some parts of the wing skins, lower fuselage, and tailcone, so far) can be taught in a few minutes, assuming your helper can follow basic instructions. My wife has helped with the riveting; I've also had interns from work, my brother, and my sister-in-law drive a few. It's easier to have them run the rivet gun than buck, IMHO.

The only other place I really needed assistance was building my engine from parts; I had an A&P friend with Lycoming overhaul experience help me with that--though admittedly most people just buy an engine. I just had to be difficult

In short, the "second person really required" time will be well under 1% of your total build effort. Don't give up on building just because you might need a second pair of hands for a couple hours.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Build by yourself

OK gang- I can't even imagine how to rivet wing skins by myself! PLEASE share your secrets. A picture of whatever you invented / concocted / bought to use as a jig for driving rivets alone would be educational. Have helped a few people build a few RV's so we always have folks around to help but I am really curious to she what some of you have come up with. Thanks- JC
Old 05-30-2021, 10:12 PM

Default Time and ingenuity vs. help

Maybe the RV-4 is different. Easily put wings into fuselage (and removed them) multiple times using cargo straps to pull them in with properly located supports under the wing.

Definitely easier with a bucking partner. But don't forget the back-riveting option. For example on bottom fuselage skins. But a lot of extra work or time having to get in and out to readjust fuselage and/or back-rivet plate support.

I probably had 2 hours help riveting "impossible" last wing skin rivets and rear fuselage top skin. Could probably have done those solo in 2 days to 2 weeks

Finn
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmcdonald View Post
OK gang- I can't even imagine how to rivet wing skins by myself! PLEASE share your secrets. A picture of whatever you invented / concocted / bought to use as a jig for driving rivets alone would be educational. Have helped a few people build a few RV's so we always have folks around to help but I am really curious to she what some of you have come up with. Thanks- JC
Should always be possible to position a bucking bar using wood and foam and/or rubber support. But again, make sure the bucking bar can't drop and ding the skin!

Engine hoist, adjustable height rotary jigs, homemade hoists or cranes...

But is time (and patience) easier to come by than help?

Finn