Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Angry Postage: why do companies charge so much??

Hi All,

Maybe people could give me some explaination on why particular businesses feel it necessary to rip off customers on postage costs when it is clear that the costs are significantly less.

My scenario relates to a potential wire purchase from a well known web based company for us geeks of the sky that tried to charge $250 for postage for a $450 order. When asked if they could check and confirm the actual postage costs have effectively lead me on a wild goose chase with comments about working on the problem.

The problem began on 25 November 2011. I have since sent 10 emails requesting detials and made 3 international phone calls. The last phone call was passed through to Jeff, who did not even talk to me, just put me to voice mail. I have been nothing but professional I can assure you (emails back me up), however, the customer service is basically terrible.

I personally want to warn people about these companies as the customer service before you purchase is bad, however, I shudder to think what post sale would be like.

For some information, the postage for the same article, on the expensive side from USPS was $140 (i.e. rapid delivery). So I can only think that because it is computer calculated they only care about themselves.

My personal opinion is that this sort of greed is a major cause of the worlds current economic crisis and if we cared more about each other and less about the profits, the end results would be better.

This may seem like sour grapes, however I am passionate about honest value for money supply and service and make it my mission to highlight were extremely bad examples of this exist. I just hope this email helps other from making a bad choice of supplier.

Thanks to all the other quality suppliers and to all have happy holidays.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Get a UPS or Fedex account, and ask them to ship on your account number. Then you can only pay actual, direct to the shipper... Goes over a lot better if you present it as "just the way I do business" not "I think you are ripping me off".

Granted packaging/crating may factor in, but I don't mind paying that from a company that is honest about it.

Of course, be prepared...occasionally, you might end up paying more.
-Rick Greer, VAF #2492
Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Default shipping

I live in Canada and to ship anything up here even from the Northern US the prices are through the roof. Anymore unless I have absolutely no other option I won?t order. It is cheaper to ship to Alaska from the southern states and they have to fly over or pass through us. I know customs and brokerage are eating up part of it but that has always been the case.

And UP$ are the worst.

Tim
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM

This will be tough to answer without going into the political world...

Just leave it that there are extra requirements on any shipments which have been deemed hazardous by certain organizations which wield the force of law. The little tubes of inspection lacquer are considered "hazardous". I had an overnight quote of several hundred dollars to get two tubes sent. I went with ground for 6 bucks.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Default international shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by riobison View Post
I live in Canada and to ship anything up here even from the Northern US the prices are through the roof. Anymore unless I have absolutely no other option I won?t order. It is cheaper to ship to Alaska from the southern states and they have to fly over or pass through us. I know customs and brokerage are eating up part of it but that has always been the case.

And UP$ are the worst.

Tim

Tim, feel your pain....not to hijack this, and there are other threads on shipping of course, but in addition to the comments here, I often have to try 3 or more scenarios with ACS to get the lowest shipping. One can never assume they know or care much that the real cost to get a $5 part to your door is more like $15. Usually, if the seller will ship USPS ( postal) then it arrives at my local P.O. with NO brokerage and only rarely is there tax payable. ( don't know why, maybe under $50 or something they don't collect? hard to believe!) Alot of guys do the border pickup thing also, ( no brokerage, and often no tax) but not sure where you are in Alberta.
I guess we're all in a hurry for our stuff, but the vendors need to be accountable, and QUOTE shipping costs. ...it's not that hard!
I admit to wondering how some online-only retailers can offer such low prices; now it becomes more evident.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Default as a small business-

I had the same issues of not only higher costs for incoming stock, but the outgoing shipping costs to customers was getting out of hand. Nothing against UPS, but I found on the same size and weight package, that they were 30% higher than USPS, and was a day later. So, even though I have a commercial UPS account, saving me and my customers $$ outweighted any loyality towards UPS.
As for shipping to Austraila, I dont know----but to the UK and South Africa was pretty steep.
Gee-----maybe some of us should start branch companies there??
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Only a guess here, I suspect it is a way to make extra $$$ as part of their business.

We see this often on e-bay where the actual price is unseasonably low but the shipping cost is high enough to offset the low offered price and then some. Some folks won?t pay attention to that fact and only to find out when they have committed to buy. It is like when you go to a restaurant and they charge $4-5 for a soda or in a hotel room where they charge $5 for a bottle of water.

I have learned to check the shipping cost and not buy if it is a rip off.
Dues paid
Old 12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Moved thread

I put this in "Test", not really a review.........

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Without the details of what was being shipped and the amount of handling by the company shipping the product it would be impossible for anyone to rightfully agree or disagree with you. For instance, a few years ago I shipped an ECI engine that I'd assembled and then shipped via Pardain. Frankly had I charged for preping it for shipping I would have charged quite a bit more, make that a h*ll of a lot more than I did. Actually I lost money on the deal but I've learned that that's what people expect.

P.S. Shipping by Pardain was awesome.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

A great pity this has been moved to the Test area as it will disappear in a short time.
This is an important issue for non US people.
There is a large market in the non US area for vendors, especially those that treat non US buyers fairly.

Last edited by rjtjrt : 12-21-2011 at 06:05 AM.