Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
I thought about going that route but have never used anything like what Scott and Tonya offer. I’ll go back a take another look.

Thanks,
A thumbs up for both LightSpeed and the in-ear headsets. I have a LightSpeed Mach-1 (one of the first in-ear headsets) and still use it. The day it craps out I'll be checking out Scott and Tanya's CQ1.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 06-13-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
If one reads my past posts you'll realize I've had some considerable experience in maintaining headsets for commercial helicopters, likely the most challenging environment for a headset. High noise is one of the challenges. Plain old brute force abuse by flight crew and uncaring passengers is likely the greatest challenge to the survival of a headset.

With that little back-story behind me, I'll opine that active noise reduction (ANR) is definitely NOT necessary in our light aircraft, IF and ONLY IF you can get enough passive noise reduction (PNR).

The in-ear headsets excel at PNR - they provide several dB more attenuation than the good old passive green David Clark mickey mouse ears. Plus, as mentioned by others, those mickey mouse ears require clamping force to produce a noise-tight seal between the headset seal and ones noggin. After a while, that hurts. Plus they are heavy, causing pressure on the top of the noggin. Again, that hurts. The in-ear headsets don't have these comfort drawbacks.

I own two pairs of Halos. The one in my Glasair Sportsman runs custom-moulded earplugs. The comfort is outstanding. The other Halo is in my other airplane, a very noisy Davis DA2A. That Halo runs the standard yellow Etymotic foamies. The custom earmoulds used to live in the Davis until the Sportsman started to fly. These custom plugs win the noise attenuation and comfort races hands down.

I've never been impressed with the durability of the Halos. They appear fragile. As a guy who made his living repairing literally a half dozen headsets a day, I take care of my headsets. So far I've never broken the Halos, nor the 38 year old David Clarks they replaced. Still, I'd like to try Scott and Tanya's CQ1. This summer that was high on my Oshkosh "to do" list. Oh well, maybe next year!

Now for the other parts of my opining... I own a Bose X headset. It has been disappointing because of its poor reliability, both electronically and mechanically. Simply put, Bose puts plastic in structural areas that should never be plastic. Bose also dead-ended support for the Bose X headset when mine were only four years old. I'm NOT impressed. Still, if anybody has a set with working dual-GA plug electronics, I'd welcome the opportunity to take two busted Bose X headsets to make one serviceable one.

Last summer at Oshkosh I picked up a David Clark One-X. I thought I'd have me a lovely shiny new headset. Nope... My wife got to them before I did and claimed them. She is kind and sometimes lets me borrow them. For her they are the hands-down winner in comfort and audio performance. She has industrial hearing loss so her needs are somewhat specific.

I've worn the One-X for extended periods and have to say it is far more comfortable than the Bose X it replaced. Noise attenuation is better, both passive and active. I would rate the noise attenuation of the DC One-X as being at least on par with the custom ear moulds on my Halo - that is, very good. The headset looks like it is built to last, with no plastic in key structural areas. It also folds up to a relatively compact size. Battery life is a bit of a problem though. DC claims something like 40 hours of duration on the AA cells. We're well past that and those batteries show no signs of slowing down. I have no clue how long they will last, but at 60+ hours I'm definitely impressed with how they're working so far.

With respect to service, I've had one instance in which I contacted DC for warranty service on the One-X. I had lost the belt clip for the electronics module. Don't know how or where - it's just gone. My call to DC was placed at the outset of the hard COVID-19 lockdown. I expected zero response. I left a voice message and received a callback the next morning. Two days later a replacement belt clip was delivered to my door - no questions asked. DC's service was excellent (as usual) even during the most difficult times for a business to function. That means something to me.

If one is looking for an ANR headset, the David Clark One-X deserves consideration.

I don't listen to music in flight and I use my PS Engineering audio panel to handle Bluetooth for phone calls so can't provide any feedback on headset performance in these areas.
Mark, if your yokes are broken on your Bose X's, you might try these.
https://centralsound.co/products/bos...hoCCFUQAvD_BwE
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 06-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Default DC One X vs Bose A20 ?

I've used many different headsets over the years (Zulu 2 & 3, Bose X, Clarity Aloft). My current headset is a Bose A20 which I like a lot, it's also the one that I have kept the longest without switching to something else.

I have a set of CA's for my wife but I would like another ANR headset as backup for my A20's and for passengers.

I had never given much thought to the DC One X until I read the comments on this thread. If you've flown with both A20's and DC One X, I love to hear your comments / comparison. Thanks.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 06-15-2020, 09:49 PM

I find it hard to believe in the ear has the sound reduction of a full cup headset, but they look cool..... but I flew piston airplanes for a long time without Noise Cancelling headsets.... passive only...

2020 Dues Paid
Old 06-16-2020, 05:59 AM

Default Love my Halo's

My wife and I both have Halos, and I will never go back to a headclamp even if the best most expensive type is given to me. There is just no better comfort than an "in ear" type. I can take my glasses or hat on and off as much as I want, never smack an ear cup on the canopy, zero heat or sweat issue, stows in any spot you want, the chord is the size of a piece of spaghetti and the noise blocking is as good as I need it to be. I'm not an ear Dr., I'm already half deaf from working around jets for 40 years, and I may not be the best test person, but it has been explained before to me the cup type has to keep sound from getting into your ear, and the in ear type does just that, but somewhat internally. I use the yellow foam "buds" and have at times started getting out of my plane forgetting they are in. Try them, you'll love them!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
I find it hard to believe in the ear has the sound reduction of a full cup headset, but they look cool..... but I flew piston airplanes for a long time without Noise Cancelling headsets.... passive only...
George, no belief is necessary, we all create our own truths. I can tell you that a CQ1 with the right eartips inserted correctly into an average ear canal absolutely does do as good, or better, than any full cup clamped on your head, ANR included. The precedent in industrial applications is well established as it is a simple matter of mechanics. OSHA has entire training programs on the topic. It is too bad that not everybody can spend a month in a noise chamber with every common headset on the market.

However, I'll be the first to acknowledge that not every pilot feels like learning how to properly insert an ear tip. That is ok, and sometimes "good enough" is good enough. I've also seen exceptionally rare cases where an ear canal is such a crazy shape that an in-the-ear headset such as a CQ1 isn't really a good option. For all of the rest, 5 minutes of talking about proper noise attenuation through ear tip insertion usually makes a big difference for those pilots that are really in search of something better.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
George,
I also was reluctant to believe an in the ear set would work as well as my $1000 Lightspeeds. I came close a few times and just could not bring myself to do it. Then one day I decided to experiment. I went for a flight high and out of controlled airspace. I pulled off my headset and inserted standard foam ear plugs. Amazing, no better but no worse.
After years of flying with the Halo's I now wear the CQ1's. No more hated head clamp.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 06-17-2020, 03:20 AM

Default CQ1 - Clarity Aloft Differences

I planned to buy a Clarity Aloft in-ear headset, when I learned about the CQ1. I would be very much interested to hear of the differences and experience from someone that used both types...
VAF donation 2020/11/26
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouddancer View Post
I planned to buy a Clarity Aloft in-ear headset, when I learned about the CQ1. I would be very much interested to hear of the differences and experience from someone that used both types...
Andreas,

Keep in mind that I am biased since we are manufacturing the CQ1...but part of the reason the CQ1 exists is because I flew a Clarity Aloft for years and knew there were things that could be improved.

One difference is the frame of the Clarity Aloft is not adjustable. If the frame fits your head out of their mold, then you are good. If your noggin is larger or smaller than their design, it'll be either a bit tight or loose. Mine was so loose that I used a hair clip to hold it steady, or else I was always chasing the microphone because it was just a mini-teeter totter on my ears. I needed a third point of contact for the stability I wanted.

Another major difference is the sound delivery method. The CQ1 uses sound tubes, so the speakers themselves are firmly attached to the frame. The Clarity speakers are at the ear and attached to the frame with very small wires. While there are many happy Clarity Aloft users that have never had a problem, I had to send mine back to Cliarty Aloft every 300 hours or so as one of the wires would eventually fail at the speaker. The sound tubes on the CQ1 do need to be replaced every so often as moisture can build up, but they are field replaceable, and you can simply purchase a new set that can be mailed to you with no down time.

The ear tips on the Clarity Aloft have a helix core that screws onto the speakers. There are many folks out there that have had to dig an ear tip out of their ear because it came unscrewed. Plus, you only have the choice of those one type of ear tips, although they are very good quality. With the CQ1, we have several difference choices (including those that are used with the Clarity Aloft), and you can always build your own ear tips from your favorite pair of ear plugs. (We are homebuilders after all.)

The microphone on the CQ1 is also longer than the Clarity Aloft. The picture below is with the headsets aligned where they would sit on top of the ear, although it may not appear so with the angle.

Last edited by tcard : 06-17-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 AM

When I started flying the RV, it was time to replace my old DRE ANRs. The cables had turned to dust. I went back and forth quite a bit between the Card's in-ear and the Zulu. I ended up with a 2nd hand refurbished Zulu2. It works great and is comfortable for about 2-3 hours.

I still wonder if the in-ear units would have been better. I have chronic headaches and after my last 6-hour flight the headache was debilitating.

to the Card's: How about a loaner program? Users pays for two-way shipping and a set of speaker tubes and ear plugs. Gets to try it for 30 days and then sends it back. The replacement tubes and plugs should keep it sanitary. It is a big change for people, so it is easy to get cold feet and just go with what they know, that is what happened to me.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.