Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 PM

This is my first post on VAF. I?ve had a pair of CQ 1?s for a couple of weeks now flying in a spam can while starting my rv7 build. For those of your who have hearing issues and have questions. I have issues in both ears with loss and tinnitus. I also wear hearing aids but find them difficult and uncomfortable to use with over-the-ear headsets. I can tell you my experience with the CQ 1?s is as stark of a change as it was when I switched from passive to ANR. The CQ?s deliver a very clear voice signal direct to my ear without all the external background noise. Simply put they?re amazingly clear! Personally I wouldn?t trade these for even the most expensive over-the-ear ANR?s. The addition of Bluetooth music is not of concern to me, there are other ways to achieve getting music through my intercom panel. Of utmost importance to me is voice communication to my hearing challenged ears. In my opinion you will not be disappointed if you decide to try these out. For those who are located in the San Diego area. If you are on the fence or interested contact me through VAF and we?ll make arrangements to meet up so you can check them out. Besides it gives me a chance to meet more people in the local RV community.

Let me just end with this. When it comes to customer service CMW is head and shoulders above all others in my opinion. After purchasing my headset Tanya reached out to make sure I wasn?t having any problems with headset or fitting the ear tips for a proper seal. She also reached out again when a suspected problem popped up to make sure if I was to have a problem we?d get it resolved quickly. When was the last time you?ve had a company do something like this? The personal touch is most certainly noted and appreciated!

I haven?t had the opportunity to meet Scott & Tayna yet. Hopefully in time I will. Until then, I just want to say thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Guy,

Are you interested in getting rid of your failed Lightspeed II experiment? I am interested in another set for the right price.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
Will they be at any shows this year were they can be tried?
Specifically, will these headsets be on display at Sun-n-Fun this April?

George
Old 02-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up Headset

I've tried just about all headsets in the last 50 plus years in everything from single seat to airline aircraft. I waited two months and several flights to pass judgement on the Cards headset. I'm very pleased, I have a lot more head room. I can use more than a one inch cushion in my RV, the sound is great and the mic is the best. It takes a little practice to get the foam ear pices correct, but once you do it correctly, you won't go back to the heavy headset. My wife likes them because her hair doesn't interfere.
RV6A owner N6711
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
My wife is asking for a new headset. She likes my Lightspeed Zulus. She tried them and likes them. But she wants a headset that doesn't mess up hair doos. These in-ears look great for that requirement.

I wish there was a way to try them so she could see if they work for her. Will they be at any shows this year were they can be tried?
Steve, in-the-ear headsets are great for not 'mussing' up hair. We are not intending to have a vendor booth, but we will be at Oshkosh and are always happy to talk or show off headsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth6 View Post
How long are the cords from the headset to the controller and the controller to the jacks?
The cord from the headset to the controller is about 4 1/2 feet, and the controller to the jacks is about 10 inches. The machinist just approached me with a micrometer, but I don't have the 10X Loupe handy to read it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Got to test fly my new headset today. I?ve got a pretty loud cabin, especially during takeoff and climb out.

I?ve got a set of Bose X that are going on 10 years old and could probably use a refresh. I debated getting some A20s to replace them but holy cow they?re expensive.

These things are great. Better noise reduction than I get from my ANR headset for sure. I?m going to take the wife up and have her try mine out and we?ll probably buy her a set as well.

I?d also like to see a Bluetooth option in the headset electronics for music in the future. I?ve got a mono audio panel (music quality reduced) and have the same situation with differing music tastes for cruising than my wife.

Customer service is top notch, and I?d recommend these for both the product and the company to anyone that?s asking.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
This is my first post on VAF.
Scott, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Did you get any cookies with the headsets??

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuyshondt View Post
Guy,

Are you interested in getting rid of your failed Lightspeed II experiment? I am interested in another set for the right price.
I almost said yes, but it?s a great guest headset. It?s no fun sharing ear cooties.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM

I understand. I have an original Lightspeed Zulu and a Zulu 2 factory upgraded to a 3 and really like them. I could use another one for passengers in my Cessna 182. i have passive David Clark?s for now.

I have never been able to get used to sticking anything in my ear. I dislike ear plugs and ear buds. The only ear attachment I tolerate are Bose?s silicon ?butterflies? used in some of their ear buds. They don?t really stick into the ear, but rather hold on the the ridges of the ear lobe. Anything that sticks further in is very uncomfortable for me.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 PM

Default Discounts for VAF members?

Wow, sounds great and I'm tempted to buy [yet another headset]! Too bad I didn't hear about this until now. I just spent $900 for a DC-One-X, which in general I'm very happy with for normal flying, but for aerobatics, the weight of it makes it move around too much. I have the Clarity Aloft headset and it's very good, but is not adjustable and doesn't fit well around my head. I need to use velcro to stick it to the back of my cap which is a bit annoying.

So... now I'm tempted to give this one a try. Any discounts to help nudge me in that direction??

Dues Happily Paid