Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Question

Very close to giving these a shot, but the lack of a dedicated music input gives me pause. Yes, the ship's intercom has a music input but my wife and I have distinctly different tastes in music. At home we can strike a balance, but when flying I like really hardcore metal and industrial to keep me awake... she does NOT appreciate this form of music EVER.

Have not explored the various adapters mentioned in the OP, but wondering if they have the same priority muting that my Lightspeeds have? If so, then my issue is likely resolved.

Can anybody advise a work around or perhaps this feature is coming on CQ1 2.0?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 02-17-2019, 10:20 PM

Not sure if the Bluetooth adapters from Crazed Pilot would accomplish what you are looking for but they do allow each headset to be connected to a different Bluetooth link. I use one to link the Foreflight audio into my headset. I have also connected one to a separate ipad for that person to listen to music.

Bluetooth Headset Interface for ForeFlight & Garmin Pilot AUDIO ALERTS
https://www.crazedpilot.com/bluetoot...-audio-alerts/

This adapter for a hard connection might also work:

Music Player Adapter for Pilot Headset (Aircraft)
https://www.crazedpilot.com/music-pl...dset-aircraft/

there are several other solutions like these out there as well.

-larosta
Old 02-18-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Can anybody advise a work around or perhaps this feature is coming on CQ1 2.0?
Michael,
I'm actively working on a lot of ideas, but I can tell you that music input integrated into the headset isn't one of them right now. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat, but I understand your hesitation.
We have a unit here for you if you do decide to give it a try.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Default Independent volumue control

I would like to suggest independent volume control for each side as a future feature. I have hearing loss, more in the left than the right. It would be great to control the volume independently for each side.

For those of you thinking about this headset let me say it is incredibly comfortable. The mic stays where you put it and your head is no longer stuck in a vise. Add to that the additional clearance from the canopy so no more scrapping the canopy when I turn my head.

But just as important as producing a product that works, the Cards also provide excellent customer service! Many companies produce good solutions and some also provide great customer service. My experience with CMW proved to me they do both.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Scott, thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrens View Post
I would like to suggest independent volume control for each side as a future feature. I have hearing loss, more in the left than the right. It would be great to control the volume independently for each side.
There is balance control on the board to allow for non-symmetrical volume output when in stereo mode. It just requires popping off the back of the control box and a little twist of the balance pot to set it just the way someone wants it.

Last edited by tcard : 06-02-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Hear ye, hear ye!

The noise level in my 7A cabin is so high that I not only use Bose A20?s, I first stuff in foam ear plugs, and I also slide foam wedges over my sunglasses temple arms ro create an unbroken seal for the Bose earcup. The Bose ANR technology and crystaI clear amplification make this possible. It is a bit more of a pre-start ritual than I care for, but the only way I have found to prevent tinnitis after long flights.

It is difficult for me to imaging ANY in-ear solution to even come close to the brute force dB reduction I obtain this way, and I cannot imagine flying with less without causing gradual hearing loss. What am I missing here?- Otis
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2019 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Give them a try and find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartstoc View Post
It is difficult for me to imaging ANY in-ear solution to even come close to the brute force dB reduction I obtain this way, and I cannot imagine flying with less without causing gradual hearing loss. What am I missing here?- Otis
I'm one of those converts who flew ANRs for 14+ years until Scott shoved one of these in my face and said "Here, fly these to Oshkosh and let me know what you think!"

Now I would not be inclined to go back to my big, bulky (and sweaty in the Texas summer!) ANRs.

However, you MUST have the eartips inserted properly for the noise reduction to work. There are a couple of helpful Youtube videos on how to get them right. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get good at it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they work, and how much more conformable you are in the airplane.

Their return policy is very generous, so if you are the least bit curious about all the hoopla, I'd say give them a try! You can always send them back if you don't like them.
RV7A - Flying!
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Well, the music adapter device seems to be a low cost partial solution, but apparently it does not feature priority muting. My long cross country trips are almost always using flight following and coincidentally are the flights where I listen to music... Inconvenient conflict right there.

On the other hand, the times I find the Lightspeeds inconvenient is formation and aerobatics, and since I dont listen to music on these missions pehaps I just keep both types around and select the most "mission appropriate".

From a consumer perspective, external audio input should be a standard feature on ANY new headset design, IMHO.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 02-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Way to try

My wife is asking for a new headset. She likes my Lightspeed Zulus. She tried them and likes them. But she wants a headset that doesn't mess up hair doos.
these in-ears look great for that requirement.

I wish there was a way to try them so she could see if they work for her. Will they be at any shows this year were they can be tried?

thanks
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 PM

How long are the cords from the headset to the controller and the controller to the jacks?