What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purchasing Tools - T0o kit or not too kit?

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
I have a few WTB ads out there and doesn't seem like to many people part with tools and when they do, they seem to go fast.

Clevealand seems to have some decent kits and from what I read they have great CS and are very good to work with.

If i piece part buy kits I might be able to save a few $$, but that might be more time than its worth.

Anyone have an experience with either of the below kits? As far as the squeezer goes. Can you get away with just a pneumatic? Any recommendations on other good sources for tool kits?

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Complete-Airframe-Tool-Package-2014/productinfo/COMPKITW/#.VhrEhLShbYA

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Get-Me-Started-Tool-Kit/productinfo/EMPKITW/#.VhrFBbShbYA

Thanks,

Roger

I use their dimple die sets and they are very good. I have a pneumatic squeezer and a frame and guns and those are all worth having. I never use a hand squeezer.

I've bought tools from Cleaveland, Avery, Brown, the Yard Store and ATS. They are all excellent resources.

Personally, I prefer the Acat brand of rivet guns to Sioux. The triggers are every bit as good and they seem to be more reliable; The Yard sells these. Get more than one hand drill to minimize bit changing.

Good luck and have fun!
Dave

Get a kit and then add from there as needs arise. I've purchased 95% of my stuff from Avery. I love dealing them as they have great service and are a good ole' American "Mom n Pop" type business. They have kits set up based on which particular kit you will be building.

You do occasionally see listings from people who are abandoning their build and selling their whole kit on this site, typically about one or two days after you've purchased your new one!

Get a kit

Get a kit and then add from there as needs arise. I've purchased 95% of my stuff from Avery. I love dealing them as they have great service and are a good ole' American "Mom n Pop" type business. They have kits set up based on which particular kit you will be building.

You do occasionally see listings from people who are abandoning their build and selling their whole kit on this site, typically about one or two days after you've purchased your new one!

+1 - Get a full kit it will allow full focus on building.

If your time is important, and you get frustrated when you have to research, find, price, order, wait for arrival for a tool to do a job, or botch it without it.

I got the full Avery kit, and was very pleased with its completeness. It had a quantity of replacement bits - not just some, but a quantity appropriate to the use in the kit. The Cleaveland kit looks high quality as well.

I have added to it with other items as they showed value to the process.

It's one of the toughest decisions - all of the previously mentioned vendors provide great tools and have very good customer service. I've had the best of luck with them all.

That said, I've found over time that I tend to prefer the Cleaveland tools.

As to squeezers, I wouldn't build without a pneumatic and wouldn't part with the one I have. But, I also wouldn't build without a hand squeezer.

Dan

I'd get a good kit, double the #40 clecos, and fully expect to add to it as needs arise. Special bucking bar, a nutplate jig, misc drills, etc. I probably put in a small order at Avery or Brown about once a month. You will keep acquiring tools, or you'll be making some; it's the nature of the job!

My favorite tool by far is the Numatx pneumatic squeezer. I have the 3060, which can be used as a squeezer and also be attached to a Cframe. (http://www.numatx-tools.com/index.html). Numatx will send you the plans to make the C-frame. I have a hand squeezer--still have yet to use it.

Next up would be the pneumatic cleco tool ($92). http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Pistol-Grip-Pneumatic-Cleco-Tool/productinfo/CLN12/#.Vhr-NrS1nww
I have no clue as to why someone would used the cleco pliers.

Then a pneumatic pop rivet puller. Although the -14 does not have a lot of pop rivets, it was still worth the money. ($70 from Harbor Freight). I should have bought this at the beginning of the build.

I just looked at the pictures for the tool kits for both Cleveland and Avery. I did not buy either. I sent both a list of tools that I wanted from each company and got a discount on the bulk order. I liked more tools from the Avery list versus the Cleaveland. For example I really like the hole deburring tool from Avery.

Email me at [email protected]
I have finished my RV6A and have some of the tools in that kit plus stuff I don't even know what they do for sale. Have to go through things in my hanger but happy to do so and take pics you tell me what you want has I did finish my plane with all the things I have for sale.

Roger,

Cleaveland and Avery both make excellent tools. You can't go wrong with either company and there is some good advice here.

Most of my tools came from Avery and for the most part, I prefer Avery over Cleaveland, but that is a personal preference and not one based on the quality of the tool. The exception to that being Cleaveland's edge forming tool and Cleaveland's hand rivet squeezer. Cleaveland's Main Squeeze is an amazing tool and I wish I had one over the Avery's hand squeezer I do have.

Either kit I would delete all the bucking bars except the tungsten bars. It's really the only bucking bar you'll need. I'd also delete the C-frame and buy a DRDT-2 instead. The DRDT is awesome! On Avery's kit I would delete their angle drill attachment and just buy a surplus DOTCO off ebay.

Finally, yes, you will really enjoy the pneumatic rivet squeezer. Avery's usually has a better price on rivet squeezers over Cleaveland.

Other items you'll want to add: a "no hole" squeezer yoke, pneumatic cleco pliers, extra clecos, and a pneumatic angle die grinder.

Yes, you'll have a small fortune in tools, but they really make your build easier and produce a higher quality product.

I am a big fan of Cleveland Tool. I bought their RV tool kit and some upgrades plus a number of other items along the way. Good quality tools that they stand behind and their customer service is second to none!

Cleveland vs Avery

Can't go wrong either way.
I had a problem with a Cleveland dimple die. I was not the original purchaser. No questions asked. Replaced.
I had a question about an Avery tool. I was talking with the daughter. I heard her say something to another person in the office. Next thing I know Mr. Avery is on the phone and spent a good 30 minutes helping me.
I can't imagine building a plane without either company.

I bought the Avery kit and deleted a bunch of the tools that were a part of the kit that I already had. Still got the package discount! I have several tools I bought later from Cleaveland. Buy quality tools for the important stuff. Harbor Freight works great for many tools. You can never have too many tools!

If you are worried about spending money at this point, don't build an airplane! It seems like a big bunch of money just to get started, but it is nothing compared to buying the rest of the kits, engine, avionics, etc...

Cleveland Main Squeeze, If it comes down to one or the other I'd do this over the pneumatic,you'll have enough left over for a tungsten bucking bar(just don't drop it on your toes!)
RHill

Back