What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with prop control cable

DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
I am not sure what I need to hook up my prop control on my -7. I am using a center quadrant and have a PCU5000X governor. I rotated the governor control so it points up. The control cable exit is toward the left side of the firewall. I tried using ACS A-960 cable with an Aurora bearing end fitted on the 1/4-24 threaded end. The other end of the cable I used a wire grip with 10-32 threads and a clevis to attach to the quadrant arm.

The cable has to make a very tight turn as it exits the firewall on the engine side to bend over the the governor. I thought the solution would be to use a smaller diameter Bowden but all I see listed at ACS is .078 wire.

Can anyone offer advice on how you did this?

Last edited:
I am not sure what I need to hook up my prop control on my -7. I am using a center quadrant and have a PCU5000X governor. I rotated the governor control so it points up. The control cable exit is toward the left side of the firewall. I tried using ACS A-960 cable with an Aurora bearing end fitted on the 1/4-24 threaded end. The other end of the cable I used a wire grip with 10-32 threads and a clevis to attach to the quadrant arm.

The cable has to make a very tight turn as it exits the firewall on the engine side to bend over the the governor. I thought the solution would be to use a smaller diameter Bowden but all I see listed at ACS is .078 wire.

Can anyone offer advice on how you did this?

I just installed mine this week. I used the standard Vans control cable. It indeed has a seemingly sharp bend, but the operation force does not seem to suffer at all. Be sure you exit the far left hole in the firewall per the plans.

I brought the cable out between the engine mount and installed the cable on the governor out where I could reach it easily. I adjusted for full travel then, before torquing the jamb nut and sheath, mounted the governor to the engine, rechecked the travel then jammed the sheath and rod end nuts.

Knuckle skin intact.

Back