Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 08:27 PM

What is the difference between the new WD-01221-1 and the original design?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:12 AM

Glad there is tremendous oversight by Van's but (sarcastically) I'm now going to need a much larger binder to organize all the Van's SBs on the 12. Is there a part we haven't reinspected or replaced over the last five years?
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 11-22-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBrent View Post
Glad there is tremendous oversight by Van's but (sarcastically) I'm now going to need a much larger binder to organize all the Van's SBs on the 12. Is there a part we haven't reinspected or replaced over the last five years?
As a previous C-177RG owner, and current half owner of a Cirrus SR-22, I would like to offer my point of view that the number of SB's we have received from Vans are very in small number and very inexpensive compared to what I am otherwise used to. I believe that owners of other certificated aircraft would probably say something similar.

The fact of the matter is that aircraft are designed with numerous mutually incompatible goals-- be light, be strong, be fast to build, be fast to fly, be economical, be maintenance free, and—above all—be safe. It's simply not possible to achieve all of these. Engineers make their best calculations and estimates. Professional engineers, such as are at Vans, then monitor their products' peformance in the real world and modify them (sometimes with service bulletins) as reality dictates.

This is simply the cost of owning an aircraft. The RV-12(iS) is a very inexpensive aircraft. Period.

If you'd like some numbers on cost of ownership of my SR-22 or of my previous C-177RG, just PM and I'll be happy to oblige.
RV-12 #0760
Dues paid through 6-2021
Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 PM

Default SB-00023

My question is are there more SB's for the Rv-12 than the other RV models?
Just passed 300 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a Advanced Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
Point taken, and that question is one that I can not answer. Sorry if I came across too sharply.
-dbh
RV-12 #0760
Dues paid through 6-2021
Old 11-23-2020, 10:10 AM

Default Reasons the RV-12 may have more SBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotyoung View Post
The RV-12 is the only RV model designed to a "Standard". (ASTM)

And, in the case of the S-LSA, it is also the only RV model that may be used commercially as in flight schools.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 11-23-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The RV-12 is the only RV model designed to a "Standard". (ASTM)
Compare the number of bulletins from the RV-12 and -14. The -14 has just a handful. Its not that the factory designed the perfect aircraft in the -14.. its just that (I think), the factory doesn't have to issue letters for every single screw or wire that was incorrect in the KAI, etc. A bunch of letters are ones that "allow installation of".. ok lets not even count those.

Most of the expensive bulletins are for important things though.. nose gear collapse.. engine falling off... Even huge certificated mfgs have problems that need to be fixed after the aircraft has left the factory.. and those are even more expensive repairs just due to paperwork and needing an A&P.

Lets not forget that most of us here have an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft and these are not Airworthiness Directives.
Dues paid 2020
Old 11-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
Compare the number of bulletins from the RV-12 and -14. The -14 has just a handful. Its not that the factory designed the perfect aircraft in the -14.. its just that (I think), the factory doesn't have to issue letters for every single screw or wire that was incorrect in the KAI, etc. A bunch of letters are ones that "allow installation of".. ok lets not even count those.

Most of the expensive bulletins are for important things though.. nose gear collapse.. engine falling off... Even huge certificated mfgs have problems that need to be fixed after the aircraft has left the factory.. and those are even more expensive repairs just due to paperwork and needing an A&P.

Lets not forget that most of us here have an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft and these are not Airworthiness Directives.
In the Light Sport world SB's are equivalent to AD's in the Certificated world.
RV-12 Flying
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printbr View Post
In the Light Sport world SB's are equivalent to AD's in the Certificated world.
Mel, can you update us on this? As of 2015, the only thing that was legally mandatory were Safety Directives (SD) for S-LSA aircraft. There are 3 SDs for RV-12 and 2 for RV12iS. SB's were optional, but in either case, only certain certificated persons could perform maintenance on S-LSA (as specified in the SB/SD).

There was supposed to be some rule change that changed or clarified what was legally mandatory. To what, I'm still trying to research.

Are SB's now also mandatory for S-LSA? Are E-LSA completely free from legal mandates, even from aircraft or powerplant SDs?
Dues paid 2020
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLviator View Post
Greg you must have long arms to change oil with just the top cowl off. Two wrenches under the tank to remove the plug, then catch the plug and hold a container for the oil, and thats not counting holding the bottle for the oil test sample.
I installed a quarter-turn quick drain valve on my oil tank. I can reach it to attach a hose to it by reaching up through the openings at the back of the lower cowl. I can also remove the oil filter and magnetic plug with the lower cowl still attached. It is a much easier process to change the oil that way. FWIW.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

The Book: The PapaGolf Chronicles

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The Book: Schmetterling Aviation

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.