Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Can RV flying replace motorcycle riding?

I sold my Honda Gold Wing when I got serious about buying an airplane. My family was very concerned about the safety of motorcycles, and I thought that flying an RV would replace motorcycle riding for me. Long story short, it hasnít. I miss riding.

I believe that many pilots also ride motorcycles. Certainly, I cannot be the only one thatís been at this crossroads. I would enjoy hearing whether flying has (or has not) replaced riding for you, and any ideas or thoughts that you may be able to share.

As it stands today, I very well may buy myself a BMW R1250RT and ride more as I fly less. I just feel like Iím missing something that flying isnít giving me.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
I sold my Honda Gold Wing when I got serious about buying an airplane. My family was very concerned about the safety of motorcycles, and I thought that flying an RV would replace motorcycle riding for me. Long story short, it hasn’t. I miss riding.

I believe that many pilots also ride motorcycles. Certainly, I cannot be the only one that’s been at this crossroads. I would enjoy hearing whether flying has (or has not) replaced riding for you, and any ideas or thoughts that you may be able to share.

As it stands today, I very well may buy myself a BMW R1250RT and ride more as I fly less. I just feel like I’m missing something that flying isn’t giving me.
R1200RT owner here.

I haven't been able to ride much since buying an airplane, plus the day job, plus flight instructing on the side. Simply not enough hours to do everything. My bike is currently languishing in the hangar. I keep telling myself that I need to sell it, but I keep not wanting to do that. I miss riding too.

Between the flight school and the other pilots non-in-the-flight-school I know, I'd say about 40% ride.

Flying and riding scratch different itches for me.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:17 PM

I usually ride my motorcycle to go fly my RV. In fact, most of the times I ride, its to go fly. I'm on my third bike and I regret selling the previous 2 bikes I had.

It's about a 25 minute drive to the airport. When I drive, the drive feels like a chore. When I ride I enjoy the whole thing. Sorry I'm not helping your argument

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 04-11-2021, 01:22 PM

My wife and I both ride (Harley Softail Slim for me, and a Harley Softail Lowrider for her). I would say one doesn’t necessarily replace the other as they are both loads of fun, but outside of air shows like Osh or Sun-n-Fun flying for me tends to be more isolated and more transportation oriented. Some of that is due to the aircraft I own which is more SUV than sports car. I also boat and motorcycling is by far the cheapest both in acquisition and operating costs by a huge margin for these 3 hobbies.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:53 PM

I do both and usually alternate years with long x/c trips on each.

PS- go for the GSA!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:39 PM

Exclamation Ride to fly

Riding to the airport to fly is quite common among motorcycle owners.

If you do or not do something for someone else, you'll likely be unhappy. Do what you need to do for yourself...probably not what you want to hear.

So many people need the permission of others to do what they love, must be challenging.

Launching from SC45
Old 04-11-2021, 02:53 PM

Yamaha R6 and I love flying, but neither can replace the other IMO. It is a cool feeling to ride to the airport and then fly.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM

I haven't had a bike since I've owned airplanes... not necessarily cause and effect, I just got bored riding. I'm still having a blast with airplanes.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Motorcycle

I miss my Goldwing. I could drag the pegs on that bird. It just wasn't practical anymore. Buddys stopped riding. Most of us switched to off roading. Sweetie didn't ride with me anymore. We put 50K on that bike. She loves off roading. I own two Zuks now. I also drove a race car for five seasons so I really miss the speed and handling. I'm hoping the 7A scratches my turn and burn itch. Finally on the last 90%
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:14 PM

I got my first enduro bike when I was about 10 years old. I'm 54 now, so those roots run pretty deep.

Since I started building the RV I haven't ridden much at all. I tell myself I need to sell my Triumph to help fund the airplane project, but it's the best road bike I've ever owned and its a special edition with only around 100 shipped to North America in this configuration, so I can't bear to sell it. I tell myself I'll ride more and can totally see myself riding to the hangar. Time will tell.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=