Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
More questions

Second question
I was planning a B&C 24x24 Forest of Tabs.
24 inside X 24 FWF. That looks like it will fit somewhere around the battery Starboard side to keep the ground as short as possible. Thoughts?
Ooh, another thing, Larry, I don't know what kind of avionics you are planning, but consider a 48-tabber on the cabin side if you have a lot of electronic goodies. My fairly complete All-G3X system used every single tab--not an exaggeration. When I ran the 48th circuit, I broke out in a cold sweat hoping I didn't forget anything.

Since I have few electronics on the firewall side, I did not put a tab forest on that side. Simply didn't feel I could justify it. Still have the block sitting on my shelf unused.

Also, pay attention to where you mount the forest. I just picked a convenient spot on the right side, right above my battery box. Of course, this means I can't slide the battery up and out of the box anymore. I need to take the whole battery box off the firewall to remove the battery. Don't do what I did.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass. Fuselage, wiring, and canopy complete. IO-360-M1B mounted. Cowl, baffles, induction mostly done.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:42 AM

Default FOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Ooh, another thing, Larry, I don't know what kind of avionics you are planning, but consider a 48-tabber on the cabin side if you have a lot of electronic goodies. My fairly complete All-G3X system used every single tab--not an exaggeration. When I ran the 48th circuit, I broke out in a cold sweat hoping I didn't forget anything.

Since I have few electronics on the firewall side, I did not put a tab forest on that side. Simply didn't feel I could justify it. Still have the block sitting on my shelf unused.

Also, pay attention to where you mount the forest. I just picked a convenient spot on the right side, right above my battery box. Of course, this means I can't slide the battery up and out of the box anymore. I need to take the whole battery box off the firewall to remove the battery. Don't do what I did.
Hopefully 24 is enough. Pretty basic glass. However, I'm using the Advanced Control Panel. It has power and ground and handles the power, audio and data circuits. FOT is installed roughly center above the recess. Area above the battery is pretty clear. Hopefully the battery will go in and out!
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:52 AM

You can double up grounds on similar low amp circuits. My harness from stein had many avionics grounds going to singular fast on connectors.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:16 PM

My location seems to work as far as battery removal. I was just working on adding the ground wire yesterday. I'm still not sure if I'll leave any of the forward side tabs but for now here is a picture of a test fit of what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_ground.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	10292  
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 04-12-2021, 01:29 PM

I did the 24/24 fwd and aft of the firewall. Lots of tabs available inside but I also doubled up on several. Nothing connected to the fwd tabs but they are there if needed for future.

Off topic: My engine has a horizontal induction but I opted to install a 90 elbow for the AFP fuel injection. Was fairly easy to get all cables hooked up and keep clear of the Vetterman trombone exhaust. I have a video of the installation on Google Drive, if anyone wants to see it.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)