Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Caution: Everyone (me too) loves the choices they made. Only you can decide what’s right for you and your budget. Fortunately it’s hard to make a bad choice. For the record, I thought GRT was best bang for the buck.
And yes, buying one-generation-old can save money. Self-installing can save money.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ My recommendation is to define your mission first. THEN buy/equip your panel appropriately. As BobTurner posted; "Only you can decide what’s right for you and your budget."

FWIW, I went full DYNON Skyview and absolutely love it! For me it was the best decision.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Panel 2021.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	9953
2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 04-03-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:07 AM

Considering that an airplane is an investment/asset, I look at it from the perspective of value added.
The demand is high for nice IFR equipped RV's if some day you decide to sell which we all will eventually.

So if you load your aircraft up with budget avionics the value of your craft won't reflect the $$ spent.

Load it up with an IFR Garmin panel and the value goes up significantly.

Airplane value on avg. = 1/3 airframe, 1/3 eng/prop, 1/3 avionics.

So IMO, load it up to the max, enjoy the ride while you own it, enjoy the high price when you go to sell it.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 04-03-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:56 AM

Best bang for the buck? What kind of bang are you looking for?

* What's your mission?
* Most people will tell you that what they've got is the best. This opinion really means that they like the selection process they went through, they like having mastered the system, they like the flights they've made with the system. Very few comments will be objective, and very few comments will objectively compare one brand with another. Read endorsements carefully.
* Beware of mixing different systems. There can be software incompatibilities and there can be user interface incompatibilities. Those latter can strike you when you're tired and least able to deal with them.
* There are popular systems out there that I would not have in my plane for IFR.
* If your VFR panel is doing what you need it to do, why upgrade?
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 AM

Default Only doing this once

I am planning to do my panel only once. So I chose accordingly. But tried to keep it simple. No VPX, but good systems that interfaces with the pilot (G3X, XM radio for the GIB, etc)

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-03-2021, 10:48 AM

Yep - always a hard process as there are many choices, and even more opinions on what to do.

What I recommend:
- Decide now if it will be VFR only or IFR. There is no such thing as “light IFR”.
- Assuming IFR, design your panel. Get a blank panel from Van’s, cut out the components from full scale printouts, then move them around like paper dolls. Much easier and faster than doing CAD stuff.
- Now divide that panel into “now” and “some day”. The now will be a nice VFR glass with full ADS-B in and out, two axis autopilot and such - everything you need.

In other words, don’t spend a penny on anything unless it supports your end state panel. Here is where EFIS integration shines. For example a very nice VFR panel that would support full IFR later would be:
- One SkyView 10” EFIS. This would included the SkyView 2020 GPS receiver/antenna that makes you ADS-B out compliant using the SkyView integrated XPDR (for $2130 this XPDR is a steal).
- One Dynon COMM radio.
- If your end state calls for a full featured audio panel, look at the PS Engineering. PDA-360EX.
- Both roll and pitch AutoPilot. The integrated SkyView system cost $1650 for the servos and mounting kits.
- The integrated SkyView ADS-B in receiver.
- For this intern panel consider installing your current Airspeed and Altimeter instruments for backup. This may require a new piece of panel aluminum to get to the end state, but for ~$30, some time cutting holes and paint this is a cheap option.

From this VFR install, incremental adds to a first class IFR install is now straight forward - just add money, cut some more holes and a weekend (or so) of wiring. The hardest and most frustration thing will be to, at some point, bite the bullet and buy an overpriced TSO GPS IFR navigator.

PM me if you like on how to make this approach as easy as possible - as there are things to do now to help you later.

Carl
Old 04-03-2021, 05:43 PM

Mission? To have an awesome panel with minimal investment 😂.

I ended up getting the plane for a pretty screaming deal. It’s got the bare minimum original panel. Not sure if I’m going to keep it long term etc. mainly VFR but wouldn’t be upset to get it up to IFR snuff just to keep things easy for cross countries. Have experience with Garmin, Honeywell’s commercial side of things, Apex, G3000/1000/600/500/TXI, And GRT. Only thing I haven’t flown behind at this point is the dynon stuff. I’m open to anything really.

Everyone thinks their panel is the best, I get that. Im perfectly fine flying behind a 6 pack or a full glass suite. Just looking to spruce it up a bit. The attitude indicator is starting to fail from all the aerobatics and such.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJDriver View Post
Mission? To have an awesome panel with minimal investment ��.
Ahhhh, a flying mission, not MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.
2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 04-03-2021 at 08:02 PM.