Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Waxed Lacing cord vs TyWraps?

Good day fellow RV aviators,
Iíve never been a fan of the nylon Ty Wraps and prefer to use the waxed lacing cord. I know that you can use the Ty Wraps under the cowling but over time those Tys become brittle and depreciate. Can the lacing cord be used in the engine environment. Apart from the longer installation time, whatís the down side of using lacing cord? Thanks for your time.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%
AeroSport Power IO-375 M1S 195hp
(Looking for a prop)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

I have used the lacing cord under the cowl without any problems.

There is also a newer design zip tie made for aircraft use, has cushioned edges and is releasable as well as high temp use. Grip Lock brand. Amazon has them. https://griplockties.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 12-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:55 PM

John - to put it as bluntly as I can... There is NO down-side to using lacing cord. Only up-sides.

To answer your specific question, yes, lacing cord is rated for firewall-forward use. Clearly one needs to turn the brain on before using it. It takes really special materials to live happily beside a glowing hot exhaust pipe - neither lacing nor zip ties will be happy there. Some common sense, when liberally applied, will guide where you route wire bundles, so keeping them away from hazards will generally keep them located in areas where lacing cord is a perfect choice.

Just for fun, make up a bundle of wires using zip ties. Any bundle of tefzel wires. Heck, you can even zip tie a coil of wire you've just purchased. Now leave those zip ties in place and tie a good lacing cord not beside them. You'll be amazed to see those once-tight zip ties will now be loose. Lacing cord is just better than zip ties when it comes to holding a wire bundle together.

For those who say "but Boeing uses zip ties", yes, that's absolutely true. But Boeing also bills for every person-hour of labour that goes into their product. We don't have that concern with our amateur-built airplanes, so lacing cord is the way to go.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:01 PM

Default ...and

I would like to see a video of y'all doing lacing while on your back in the footwell of a -10, working on a 1" diameter bundles of wires with a flashlight in your mouth...

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 12-13-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I would like to see a video of y'all doing lacing while on your back in the footwell of a -10, working on a 1" diameter bundles of wires with a flashlight in your mouth...
Never will happen!

I have enough problems seeing what Iím lacing with bifocals and my hands are busy lacing, flashlight in my mouth, so Iím not sure how to aim the Video camera.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:09 PM

Default Oil Soak

One down side to lacing cord in the engine compartment is that it does soak up oil over time and tend to loosen. If it does, I usually end up replacing it with some new lacing cord while the cowling is off for it CI.

At least that's my experience with my RV6 over the last 20 years and 2000 hrs.

Laird
Old 12-13-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Is it tougher than a -7? I don't have a video, though, so....
Old 12-13-2021, 05:16 PM

I like lacing cord for NEW installations where it is easy to get at. I use TyWraps typically on rework or where it is just too hard for lacing cord.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 12-14-2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-2021, 05:23 PM

Default The word of the day is....

The word is Esoteric! Intended or likely to be understood by a small number of people with a specialized knowledge......like builders!

Forget all of the easy installation issues...the fact is lacing cord just looks COOL to me...like it took time, effort, some skill, etc..

It may sound silly, but lacing cord on a build reminds me of the nostalgia factor surrounding airplanes and the early days of aviation...not unlike goggles, silk scarves, etc....

Yeah, I may be crazy..but lacing cord rules!...Cheaper, better, cooler...Just do it....
N433BM "Dastardly" RV-12is EMP, FUSE, WINGS, Done...FINISH and POWER PLANT in PROGRESS
Official Repeat Offender
"Maintain thy airspeed...Lest the earth arise and smite thee..."
Old 12-13-2021, 05:35 PM

Lacing cord holds up much better under the cowling than even the high-temp ty-raps. Takes more time to install, but it's worth it.
Once you tie a few hundred of them you can do it with your eyes closed, upside down, under the panel with a flashlight in your mouth. Wait. Whaat?

Lenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ehguy View Post
Good day fellow RV aviators,
Iíve never been a fan of the nylon Ty Wraps and prefer to use the waxed lacing cord. I know that you can use the Ty Wraps under the cowling but over time those Tys become brittle and depreciate. Can the lacing cord be used in the engine environment. Apart from the longer installation time, whatís the down side of using lacing cord? Thanks for your time.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A QB 85%
AeroSport Power IO-375 M1S 195hp
(Looking for a prop)
OnSpeed development team