-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-02-2021, 03:50 PM

If my memory is correct, there were about three or four different setups sold over the years. I think the best idea would be to make the plug over size to accomidat the biggest of them and allow for trimming to fit the smaller ones. Some had the angled back style for the nave strobe como. And there was the 90 ones van sold. A bigger lens should be able to be trimmed for any of them.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:53 PM

Default New tips

I know the OP said he didn't want to change wingtips, but one solution for this lens issue is to switch to the new short wingtips from HP Aircraft LLC. Non-lighted tips are shipping now, and tips with lens and pocket for lights will be shipping very soon. The first set is going onto my RV-8 this weekend.

https://hpaircraftblog.wordpress.com...-through-rv-8/
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 12-02-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
Hello all. I'm working with Airplane Plastics, manufacturer of RV canopies, to produce the wingtip lenses for an older style lens kit that is not longer available.

I'm trying to help Airplane Plastics assess the need, how many to produce, and the cost. I should add that... How much would you be willing to pay for the PAIR? They used to be available in the Vans catalog for $45 each. Flyboys had a pair of lenses available for a different wingtip for $249.

PLEASE let me know if you have any information concerning the Airtech Lens kit and the whereabouts of the builder and the tooling used to produce these kits! Thank you! Jerry
I hope you find the tooling. They are really nice. I had the kit on my RV-4 I built and sold. Keep in mind you make both at the same time. It looks like a simple mold will work. From the image you cut in half to make two. It looks like the may have pressed or used vacuum to pull or pressure to push into the mold.
https://store.vansaircraft.com/rv-7-...-va-172-1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
I know the OP said he didn't want to change wingtips, but one solution for this lens issue is to switch to the new short wingtips from HP Aircraft LLC. Non-lighted tips are shipping now, and tips with lens and pocket for lights will be shipping very soon. The first set is going onto my RV-8 this weekend.

https://hpaircraftblog.wordpress.com...-through-rv-8/
If the price is right for the short wingtips, it may be a way to go, but stall speed I expect to be a tad higher (less wing area) and top speed MPH or two more? Look forward to some flight reports. I hope they take some flight data before and after. Wingtips already fitted and painted are not as desirable to change just because of plexi cover for light. The old W-415 is a good wing tip aerodynamically. Also if they have the large recess for lights with landing lights it will make the switch even less convenient

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 12-02-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:24 PM

The lenses for the Airtech kit as installed on the older W-415 Hoerner wingtips are now available from Jeff at https://www.airplaneplastics.com.. If you're interested in these lenses, call him ASAP as he is getting ready to produce a batch.

Last edited by RV8Squaz : 01-20-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Broken link
Old 01-20-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
The lenses for the Airtech kit as installed on the older W-415 Hoerner wingtips are now available from Jeff at https://www.airplaneplastics.com.. If you're interested in these lenses, call him ASAP as he is getting ready to produce a batch.
Hello All,

Airplane Plastics has a couple of pairs of lenses that went unclaimed. They are available for sale at $225 per pair. The lenses are beautiful and optically perfect!

Again, these lenses will only fit the old style, W-415 Hoerner, flat-topped wing tips. The lenses were sized to fit the Airtech fixture as described in my post, Msg #1 in this thread. They are supplied slightly over-size and will require some trimming. The are marked with rough cut Sharpie marks, but be sure to trim to fit. They may trimmed to fit a smaller opening. Please ensure the lenses fit your application before ordering.

Here are a some shots after trimming, before drilling for the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4823.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	21228  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4824.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	21229  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4825.jpg
Views:	32