Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2020, 06:52 PM

A glider gear up/belly landing at this most inopportune time is now the thing I fear most in aviation.

#nogrommet
Old 12-28-2020, 02:11 AM

thanks for the hints about freezing. a tube blocked by frozen liquid is probably not so cool when you wanna use it. solution could be to flush the system with a small amount of antifreeze, the stuff we use in our cars, prior actual use. pee entering the tube has around 98 F, that temperature should do the job then.

as some mentioned, the trailing edge of the rudder or rudder fairing is not optimal. i'm going to try to exit the tube somewhere at the tail wheel. what could be an augmenting feature at the exit?
Old 12-28-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
thanks for the hints about freezing. a tube blocked by frozen liquid is probably not so cool when you wanna use it. solution could be to flush the system with a small amount of antifreeze, the stuff we use in our cars, prior actual use. pee entering the tube has around 98 F, that temperature should do the job then.

as some mentioned, the trailing edge of the rudder or rudder fairing is not optimal. i'm going to try to exit the tube somewhere at the tail wheel. what could be an augmenting feature at the exit?
NO, the freezing will happen in real time. My tube was only 2 ft long, with a funnel to pee into. About half way through, the funnel filled up because the tube stopped draining. I had to hold the funnel until I got to a lower altitude where it was warmer, and then it drained.

Do not exit the tube upstream of the rudder hinge. I have seen severe corrosion issues where liquid runs back on the underside of the fuselage and gets sucked up into the rudder cove, resulting in corrosion, all the way to the upper hinge. (again, this was on a glider).
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 12-28-2020, 02:27 AM

Default flush after use

After using the relief tube, just flush with a bit of water. If you stay reasonably hydrated, a bit of backspray on the tailwheel shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Or, just use something like this:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Disposabl...dp/B087931PPB/
"Hello, world!"
Old 12-28-2020, 04:00 AM

you could of course have a heating blanket around your disposal tube, as well as an electrical pump to provide positive evacuation pressure. An additional battery for full redundancy being a must

in the meantime I'll stick with my device...
https://www.amazon.com/EasyComforts-...9153073&sr=8-1

www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 12-28-2020, 05:52 AM

what about to use the trailing edge of the wing tip as an exit for the tube?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
what about to use the trailing edge of the wing tip as an exit for the tube?
Something like this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F677A57B-C8B8-4E7B-AE6B-40C1B12DFA99.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	6293  
Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 AM

Personally, I'd invest in a Gatorade bottle before I'd go to all this trouble. ;-)
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-28-2020, 08:47 AM

Will all this work whilst inverted?
Old 12-28-2020, 09:26 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Decades ago, we took about 25 NASA flight controllers on a trip in the KC-135 Vomit Comet (not to fly parabolas, it was a transport trip). The airplane was configured with just that many seats in the very back of the cabin, and the the rest was basically gym mats. There was a very rudimentary Lavatory in the rear, with a urinal that went to a hose out the aft stinger of the airplane.

Probably due to the early morning nature of the flight, there was more use of the Lav than usual for the airplane, and the urinal started to back up - the crew determined that the heater on the stinger was failed, and the thing had frozen up. Yup - it happens!

Fortunately, the fact that we had 25 of NASA’s top “failure is not an option” flight controllers on board saved the day. The airplane had heater ducts running the length of the cabin, and there were bins of spare parts on board because anytime the airplane left the vicinity of Houston, they loaded to be self-sufficient. Before you know it, hoses had been rigged to route hot air from the ducts to the appropriate locations to begin a thaw. There might have been electrical drawings spread out on the floor in an attempt to recover the heater as well .... the memory fades after all that time.

What I do remember is that we recovered the Lav capability, and I personally decided that I’d always just carry gelling “piddle packs” in my airplanes - they work great with no trouble! And yes - adult diapers for an all-day exercise in a pressure suit.....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com