- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 PM

Default vinyl wrap

Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash
Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Anyone know of any vinyl wrap companies that are still wrapping planes? I searched the forums and called/emailed all of the named companies and yet to hear one response. Looking to get a quote on my RV8. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Flash
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!
Hoping to fly in April 2022

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 4 for 2022
EAA and AOPA member
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 AM

Default I know a guy

My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
Maybe consider doing it yourself? Even if you have to replace a few pieces, thatís cheaper than hiring someone. There are lots of threads here and videos on YouTube about how to do it.

Iím planning to use vinyl. Never did it before. But I also never riveted before. Or sanded carbon fiber. So, lots of new skills to learn!
Thanks, I am looking into it. Not 100% sure I want to do vinyl so was looking for quotes to see the overall cost.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
My next door hangar neighbor does wraps, although he doesn't do a bunch. His business is more signs and logos, ect. I saw a -9A he did with 100% 3 color coverage here in NC that I had to double take on to validate it was vinyl. He also trimmed out his Zenith and several RV's. Really looks good, wheel pants and all. I could probably get you in touch with him about details if your interested.
Thanks for the offer! PM sent
Old 10-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Default Vinyl wrap

Just had the unpainted portion of my RV6A wrapped. My painter said it looks better than silver paint would have. You may need to find someone that does vehicles and be their first. I was their second. I havenít flown it yet as I am changing over from EFII to the new system 32 upgrade, doing conditions inspection and I wasted unneeded effort of removing flight controls.
M71-Greensfield, MO near St. Louis
USMC combat exempt but dues gladly paid April 2021
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvator4twa View Post
Just had the unpainted portion of my RV6A wrapped. My painter said it looks better than silver paint would have. You may need to find someone that does vehicles and be their first. I was their second. I havenít flown it yet as I am changing over from EFII to the new system 32 upgrade, doing conditions inspection and I wasted unneeded effort of removing flight controls.
Great advice! Thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Flash
Had same experience with no reply from 3 supposed airplane wrap companies. Contacted TNJ engravers in Kerrville who said they would do it. They do cars but haven’t done any airplanes but we’re willing. Still waiting on a quote. I may do it myself. Considering doing invasion strips on the wings for a trial and if it works I may do whole plane. 3M makes vinyl wrap as well rvinyl. Cost starts at about $6 a square foot for material. 3M quality vinyl about $16 sq ft
Old 11-02-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderDoc52 View Post
3M makes vinyl wrap as well rvinyl. Cost starts at about $6 a square foot for material. 3M quality vinyl about $16 sq ft
I just finished vinyl wrapping my RV10, try "Metrostyling.com" for 3M vinyl, it is about $3 sq-ft for 3M 2080 Gloss (multiple colors) 5' x 60" piece is just under $60.

Steve

RV10 - Flying (Jan 2020)

RV8 - Built 2006- Flown 800 hours Sold 2021

RV4 Kit Purchased 2021
Old 11-02-2020, 07:43 PM

So what's the consensus on wrapping vs painting? Do most people wrap or vice-versa?