Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2021, 09:34 AM

Default Any thoughts on aviation grease?

Someday soon Iíll be packing the wheel bearings for the first time on my 10.

Looking at the Shell aviation grease website there are at least 6 greases for aviation. Thatís just Shell, Iím sure Mobil and a few others have their selection too. Iím trying to wrap my head around what makes aviation grease so special besides the price. Iíve packed a lot of trailer wheel bearings with good quality grease and never a problem. Greased a lot of heavy equipment as well. In fact when you think about the abuse a small trailer wheel gets vs a short burst of speed on a RV wheel ...I wonder. Also there are a few other grease fittings that are bushings not tapered roller bearings...nose wheel for example. Do I need a special grease for that too?
Iím not suggesting using a $3.00 tube of Walmart grease.

Please school me.

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 12-08-2021, 09:54 AM

I don't think there is any magic to the wheel grease. I know I routinely drive my car in excess of takeoff and landing speeds for most GA aircraft, so whatever works for that car should work fine for a plane in practice.

That being said, if there was ever an issue (wheel fire, brake fire, landing mishap with a seized bearing or axle, etc), would you rather have the report say that Aeroshell 5 was packed in the bearings or an unapproved substance was packed in the bearings. I think that's what it would come down to. Frankly, seems like that's true of a large fraction of the stuff we talk about, right? Cars tend to have a lot more hours on them than planes, handle much rougher conditions (rough roads / off road vs light turbulence), and get inspected a lot less (no one is doing a complete bolt by bolt inspection of my car every year), yet lots of auto part equivalents (electrical connectors, aircraft grade hardware, etc) are frowned upon in the aviation world.
Hoping to fly in April 2022

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 4 for 2022
EAA and AOPA member
Old 12-08-2021, 09:58 AM

I will probably take some flak but there isn't anything special about airplane wheel bearings. The Walmart grease will work fine especially if you use waterproof grease. I use some high dollar lithium based moly grease made by Schaefer?

The important thing is not to mix different types of grease. Find something and stick with it or clean the bearing completely before regreasing with a different type.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Just do it

I have been Greased and greased a bunch of stuff in my life.
Packed thousands of wheels in a past life.
But, the one that gets me is the one that doesn't grease something because they can't decide which to use. Or don't think it is the right one.
If it worked on a trailer that gets submerged it water, I am sure it will work on a wheel bearing that only rotates on ground runs.
It ain't that tough.
I bought an RV-6A a few years back and opened up the front axle to do a proper service on it and found corrosion on the axle cause the guy said he didn't have the correct grease. So he didn't do anything.
Any grease is better than none. Now I'm no suggesting you use shortening or the like. But some nice sticky gooey grease is nice to have.
NO need to spend $$$$ on some special what ever on a wheel that turns very little.
My three cent worth Art
Old 12-08-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
I have been Greased and greased a bunch of stuff in my life.
Packed thousands of wheels in a past life.
But, the one that gets me is the one that doesn't grease something because they can't decide which to use. Or don't think it is the right one.
If it worked on a trailer that gets submerged it water, I am sure it will work on a wheel bearing that only rotates on ground runs.
It ain't that tough.
I bought an RV-6A a few years back and opened up the front axle to do a proper service on it and found corrosion on the axle cause the guy said he didn't have the correct grease. So he didn't do anything.
Any grease is better than none. Now I'm no suggesting you use shortening or the like. But some nice sticky gooey grease is nice to have.
NO need to spend $$$$ on some special what ever on a wheel that turns very little.
My three cent worth Art
I think you nailed it....lack of maintenance is a huge factor and often overlooked both in aviation and otherwise!

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2022
Old 12-08-2021, 10:24 AM

I'll add that many of the Aeroshell grease products are still on backorder from ACS. Though Amazon has it for twice the price
2022 Dues Paid
Old 12-08-2021, 10:25 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Just a thought here, take it for what it is worth. $0.02 at best.

It seems like a lot of the specified stuff in the aviation world is derived from what was used when something was first built/done. Then they just wrote down the name of the product in the certification process and it got carved in stone.

It is not that there is nothing else or better, it is what was used for the original cert and never was updated.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Grease

I can’t speak with expert knowledge by any means but I use this and the grease is as clean on the 2nd condition inspection now as it was when I changed over.

My 2 cents

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=4255

Old 12-08-2021, 11:31 AM

I like boat trailer wheel bearing grease. Similar rotation rates, loads and it has the ability to withstand occasional wet grass or running through a puddle. Or complete immersion, if it comes to that.

That said, all the wheel bearings on my RV-3B project are sealed. I don't really enjoy greasing wheel bearings.

Dave
Old 12-08-2021, 02:45 PM

I use Aeroshell 22 on wheel bearings.
Paid dues yearly since 2007

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN