What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best terminals for spark plug wires?

Plopper

I'm New Here
After spending months and months of (re-)searching, re-checking, even re-doing all grounding, dismantle and re-install generators, ordering and installing new ignition cables and better spark plug wires, even exchanging ignition coils for new ones and upgrading to newer ECUs, and spending a couple of thousand dollars on that and a technician I hired, we finally found out what causes the terrible ignition noise we had on the radio: the terminals of the spark plug wires on one ignition coil (I have dual EFII electronic ignition) were not tight enough and keep coming (too) loose. We keep crimping the terminals, but after a while they come a bit loose again.

The engine runs beautifully, but at some point you will hear the crackle in the radio again (up to a point you really are not enjoying the flight anymore, because of the tremendous ticking noise).

Simple (hopefully) question therefore is: does anyone know of better terminals I can install or some other solution for this problem?

We are 100% certain the problem of the noise is the connectors that go to the ignition coil. When we crimp them the noise is 100% gone (for some time). The cables we use are (as far as we know) one of the best out there: Taylor Wire# 60651 (HF carbon core wires). Before I used the Taylor Spiro Pro, which probably were just as good, but that was before we finally discovered the noise was caused by the connectors.

Any help in finding the best connectors (or other solution for them coming a tiny bit too loose) is really appreciated - it is the last thing that is keeping my RV from being totally perfect!

Last edited:
If you’re using automotive spark plugs, such as the BR8-ES, make sure that you buy the ones with the solid (non-screw-on) terminals (the end you clip the ignition wires on to). The screw-on ends will get loose and cause radio noise - the solids can’t loosen, so maintain good contact with the plug wires.

Before you go to the trouble of changing wires, check to see which plugs you have!

Paul

Getting a reply from the 'King of Kitplanes' (my favorite mag) already was a treat, but Paul, you guessed right: I thought I made sure to have solid spark plugs, but looking closer I found out that I have the screw-on tipped plugs (and one of the tips was indeed loose)! I am now waiting for new solid spark plugs to come in. Will report back after I've exchanged and tested them!

Thanks a lot to all for the great tips (on wires also)!

Roel

A

We are 100% certain the problem of the noise is the connectors that go to the ignition coil. When we crimp them the noise is 100% gone (for some time).

I have never had a problem like this before. On these type of wires, the carbon core is folded over and touches the terminal and doesn't really need to be overly tight to work well, though if not tight, it is easy to pull the whole wire out of the terminal. I suggest using a purpose built SP terminal crimper tool for the terminals (not very expensive and leave a more concentric shape with better pressure - best to avoid the simple blocks they give you in the package, as they can be a challenge) and maybe a YT video on best practices, as wondering if you are putting the core in an area that promotes the poor connection. The terminals are designed with a specific area where the core is supposed to go, usually 180* from the opening. The insustry has been using the same type of crimp terminal for decades with good results, so have to assume something is off in your process if must re-crimp every so often.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem like this before. On these type of wires......for decades with good results, so have to assume something is off in your process if must re-crimp every so often.

Somebody skims over threads as badly as I do.

I read this because I lost a terminal and have a bag of 20 on the way (which means the lost one will turn up in the dryer lint filter). Was going to offer up some Taylor locking ones as I'll have 19 or 20 spares. Story of my life.

Read the post by Ironflight. If this turns out to be the issue, I would have lost that bet. Gonna follow this one to see if it again appears to be the case.

Somebody skims over threads as badly as I do.

I read this because I lost a terminal and have a bag of 20 on the way (which means the lost one will turn up in the dryer lint filter). Was going to offer up some Taylor locking ones as I'll have 19 or 20 spares. Story of my life.

Read the post by Ironflight. If this turns out to be the issue, I would have lost that bet. Gonna follow this one to see if it again appears to be the case.

I did read the thread. The OP stated the issue was the crimp loosening on the coil side of the wire and each time he re-crimped it, problem went away, confirming diagnosis. Paul suggested loose caps on the plugs. Not challenging his opinion but tried to give an answer that better matched the OPs issue/diagnosis. FYI, I just use red loctite to hold them on and save the hassle of finding the solid tipped plugs.

Last edited:
I did read the thread. The OP stated the issue was the crimp loosening on the coil side of the wire and each time he re-crimped it, problem went away, confirming diagnosis. Paul suggested loose caps on the plugs. Not challenging his opinion but tried to give an answer that better matched the OPs issue/diagnosis. FYI, I just use red loctite to hold them on and save the hassle of finding the solid tipped plugs.

I just crimp mine in 2 places..... never had a problem.

Back