Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2021, 06:51 PM

Default wait

Try to keep your excitement in check and don't start the engine yet.
I won't comment on what your hardware store bolts will do or not do when you start your engine but my concern is unnecessary engine run up. Checking for leaks in the fuel system is better done by pressurizing the lines than making engine noise.
My concern is based on my own experience where I couldn't wait for a reason not to start the engine and consequently glazed the cylinders during one of those unnecessary run ups which led to burning excessive oil as long as I owned the airplane.
On my second RV, I waited until the very end when all was assembled at the airport and previously tested short of running the engine. I did 2 run ups before first flight and none was more than a couple of minutes and within 2 weeks of first flight.
Do as you wish but I would wait.
Running on 91 Octane E10 mogas since 2011
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM

It is a whole lot easier to paint with the wings off. If that isnt a concern, go for it.

I must have had my wings off at least a dozen times and it was with extra ground down wing bolts that I had. I think you will find even the hardware store bolts will take some sanding to make them go in easier. Having fit them - including the gas lines with easy bolts and replacing them one at a time made worked well for me.
Flying N376E
Old 11-23-2021, 11:42 PM

Just recall that the wing is stressed for something like 6g plus 50% at max gross weight. Negative g is less but still substantial. The load from it sitting in the ground is a teensy weensy fraction of that. You wonít damage the structure with temporary bolts.

Having said that, I have never seen a good reason to run an engine in the middle of a build other than to satisfy an irrational urge. I have seen guys run their engine in their driveway at home, pissing off the neighbors, creating a safety hazard, then because they are mid build they donít fly for another 2 yrs. They have then burned off the assembly lube which is great corrosion protection. Pretty much all of the systems can be checked out without running the engine. Pressure sensors, temp sensors, fuel pumps, tank and system leak checks etc. Starting the engine should be just about the last thing you before you fly.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 11-24-2021, 12:14 AM

Let me chime in with another vote to wait. These engines are meant to be used and the first start starts the clock on negative effects of not being used. An unused engine will collect moisture as it sits and moisture isn't your friend.

My engine builder was adamant that the initial oiling and first engine start be done as close as possible to the inspection, time from pre-oil to first flight should be weeks, not months or years. I understand the urge to see what that expensive beauty can do, but the reality is that there is no good reason to rush to start that engine the first time.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 11-24-2021, 06:39 AM

i just went the insurance thing. my insurance would cover an engine start as not in motion [builders] but any taxi was in motion and you had to be checked out in my type of plane. after a lot of conversation i was covered for motion but only taxi until i got my check ride.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
RV-12 airworthiness cert. 11/30/2021
Old 11-24-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Engine start or no?

Thanks, everyone. Pretty convinced there is nothing stopping me from just getting these bolts done now and checking them off my list. I do plan to get the airplane painted but it will happen after I'm flying. I don't plan to take the wings off to get it painted.

This thread has transformed into a "should I start my engine as soon as I can" discussion. To be honest, I never considered waiting until the very end to first start it up. I just assumed you do it as soon as you have FF done. But looking at my list, most of the project's remaining steps can be done without the spinny thing spinning. I won't be flying until April at the earliest (after transition training), so I suppose there is no hurry.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for engine-start and airworthiness!
Old 11-24-2021, 09:47 PM

Default be careful on the -A model

I recall taking it real slow removing the temporary bolts and installing the permanent bolts on my -9A and glad that I did.

The bolts were so tight I had to (air) hammer them in. as soon as the threads appeared on the opposite side i threaded the nut on and drew them up the rest of the way. Had I rammed them in too far, too fast before getting the nut started, the end of the bolt would have been too close to the landing gear bracket to get the nut on, and virtually impossible to drive it back out the other direction (blocked by the bracket). it was a moment of ďholy crapĒ their was a very high probability of this not going good!
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold
Old 11-24-2021, 09:52 PM

Yeah, installing the final wing hardware on the -7A really sucks. You canít complain about it too much however, as it means you are very close indeed to first flight.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
Yeah, installing the final wing hardware on the -7A really sucks. You canít complain about it too much however, as it means you are very close indeed to first flight.
Wow, you aren't kidding. Well they're in. This Thanksgiving I am thankful I will never have to do that job again.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for engine-start and airworthiness!