-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:21 AM

Default How hard is Engine Installation really?

I'm building my first plane (RV14A) and I have very little engine experience. I managed to keep my lawnmower running and I've read Mike Busch's series of books. That's about all.

I just watched Flight Chops latest build vlog (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Xu9NvXkto) where they get the engine installed and tested. Seems pretty complex.

I'm wondering how much of that is documented in the instructions and how much is just experience from guys who know their way around these things?

Also, I'm building fairly remotely and don't have a EAA chapter or any home builders nearby.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:39 AM

Not complex at all. Maybe a little cryptic for those who have never done it before....

Just four bolts attaching the engine to the mount. (Definitely need an engine hoist and a second person would be helpful but I installed mine by myself.)

One cable each for throttle, mixture, propeller governor (optional), and one for alternate air (highly recommended). Additionally, make sure you have a ground cable to an engine bolt (I recommend one of the bolts on the oil pan).

Fuel connections are mapped out in the plans and electrical connections to starter and alternator are fairly straightforward.

While it's useful to consider the project as a whole try not to get bogged down in "everything" you have to do. Concentrate on JUST the next step. Keep pushing forward.

Good luck!
Frederic.magare "at" gmail.com
RV-9A Finishing
Old 07-12-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMagare View Post
Not complex at all. Maybe a little cryptic for those who have never done it before....

Just four bolts attaching the engine to the mount. (Definitely need an engine hoist and a second person would be helpful but I installed mine by myself.)

One cable each for throttle, mixture, propeller governor (optional), and one for alternate air (highly recommended). Additionally, make sure you have a ground cable to an engine bolt (I recommend one of the bolts on the oil pan).

Fuel connections are mapped out in the plans and electrical connections to starter and alternator are fairly straightforward.

While it's useful to consider the project as a whole try not to get bogged down in "everything" you have to do. Concentrate on JUST the next step. Keep pushing forward.

Good luck!
Thanks Fred. Just the response I was hoping for
Old 07-12-2021, 04:59 AM

There are RV builders at Smith Falls and Carp, I am sure that if you reached out you could get help.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-12-2021, 05:18 AM

i was asking myself exactly the same question years ago. firewall forward looked overwhelming in first place but turned out to be no drama at all.

just take your time and do it step by step... attching the exhaust, airbox, engine controls, running fuel/oil hoses, ignition/sensor wires etc. etc.

a lot of work but nothing undoable. just don't put yourself in a hurry a get a second person to check what you did.

attaching the engine itself was (with the help of some other guys and an engine hoist) a no brainer.

Last edited by KayS : 07-12-2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
There are RV builders at Smith Falls and Carp, I am sure that if you reached out you could get help.
Indeed yes. I am a member at 245 in Carp.

I'm building in Cape Breton near CYQY. There is an EAA in NS about 220nm flight away.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayS View Post
i was asking myself exactly the same question years ago. firewall forward looked overwhelming in first place but turned out to be no drama at all.

just take your time and do it step by step... attching the exhaust, airbox, engine controls, running fuel/oil hoses, ignition/sensor wires etc. etc.

a lot of work but nothing undoable. just don't put yourself in a hurry a get a second person to check what you did.
Good to hear. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 05:40 AM

The drawings from vans are very good. It's not at all complicated. A carbureted Lycoming is about as complicated as a 1950's car engine. Electronic fuel injection/electronic ignition makes things a little more complex, but still nothing crazy, just more time you have to spend reading manuals and looking at drawings.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 07-12-2021, 08:03 AM

Nothing unique to a RV engine installation. You can get many usable install tips by looking at a Cherokee or similar certified plane. Get friendly with the local mechanic, ask him to oversee your installation, or offer to pay for his time, money well spent.
Donít over think the task, itís just 100 small relatively easy steps.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:04 AM

Hardest part is the adel clamps
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy