- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:00 AM

Default Its time for a change

I have been in turmoil for a few months trying to decide the direction to go. I started my RV career in an 8a put about 400 hours in it and worked on it making changes the entire time, enjoying every minute. As the family grew I decided to move into a 10 which I have really enjoyed flying and upgrading it along the way. I looked at picture of a past memory in the 10 and it was 9 years ago, amazing how time flies. The kids are now grown and Can't remember the last time I had 4 people in my 10. I still carry a lot of gear or supplies in the 10 but the 8a use to handle my carrying supplies just fine. Pulling the trigger to sell my 10 is the hardest part but I really miss flying an 8, I really love the centerline flying so that's why a side by side just wont work. I'm turning 60 next month and the safe thing to do is go back to an 8a, but there is a lot larger market with the 8 and you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. . Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70? I also might find out that the tail wheel guys just have big ego's. (just kidding) Telling my wife will not go well, but the other problem I solve is my screen name will once again be correct.
RV-10 Purchased flying.. Panel upgrade complete.
G3X/Dynon/TT
All new interior complete.
Flyin like a dream.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 8-A View Post
I have been in turmoil for a few months trying to decide the direction to go. I started my RV career in an 8a put about 400 hours in it and worked on it making changes the entire time, enjoying every minute. As the family grew I decided to move into a 10 which I have really enjoyed flying and upgrading it along the way. I looked at picture of a past memory in the 10 and it was 9 years ago, amazing how time flies. The kids are now grown and Can't remember the last time I had 4 people in my 10. I still carry a lot of gear or supplies in the 10 but the 8a use to handle my carrying supplies just fine. Pulling the trigger to sell my 10 is the hardest part but I really miss flying an 8, I really love the centerline flying so that's why a side by side just wont work. I'm turning 60 next month and the safe thing to do is go back to an 8a, but there is a lot larger market with the 8 and you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. . Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70? I also might find out that the tail wheel guys just have big ego's. (just kidding) Telling my wife will not go well, but the other problem I solve is my screen name will once again be correct.
If I can learn to fly a tailwheel, anyone can! Get good training and it will open up a lot more aircraft. I used a VR simulator to "train" my feet, even though I had a TW endorsement I picked up 100 years ago. The VR simulator made it like riding a bicycle - I can still fall on my face I'm sure, but my feet just do their thing without me thinking about it.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 06-23-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
... The VR simulator made it like riding a bicycle....
Details please
Old 06-23-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Do the TW 8!

My bet ,since you have a ton of RV8A time already is you will have no problems with a TW 8 just having someone give you a few hours of transition/TW training in an 8. I have 2 friends that were low time pilots with no TW time buy an RV-8 and an RV-4. I put the rear rudder pedals in the -8, and he did a few hours with an instructor and got his TW. The RV-4 guy did a weekend with an instructor in a -6 and got his endorsement. Both happy TW pilots now.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. .
I would never make such decision for the above reason. Honestly, I believe those who badger others for the tail dragger, they either have some ego problem or some thing else wrong. Once in the air they both fly the same and on the ground all the advantages are for the nose gear, not to mention the insurance which becomes even more relevant with age.

So Build or buy what you like.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 06-23-2022, 09:53 AM

Tim,

Iíve been down this road - twice. I built the 8A and sold it shortly after the 10 was flying as I decided I did not have time for two planes (day job got in the way). The 10 was everything I could ask for - but I sold it when my wife fell ill as it no longer had a mission. I built the 8 as the last plane Iíd fly.

Guess what - I was wrong. I now find I have flying to do that the 10 is very well suited for. Iím now building another 10 to fix my mistake. This time around I have a son and son-in-law, both Naval Aviators, that will soon need access to a plane. I figured the pool of RV-8 and RV-10 fits the bill for all three of us.

My point - donít be so fast on the trigger to sell the 10. You may regret doing it.

Carl
Old 06-23-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
Details please
http://www.rv8.ch/vr-flight-simulator/

It's getting a bit old, but works well for tailwheel training.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 06-23-2022, 10:04 AM

I've had both an -8 and an -8A.

The -8 was more fun to fly, what with raising the tail on takeoff and lowering it on landing, three points, wheel landings, etc. It was also stunningly beautiful, inside and out.

On the other hand, the -8A basically didn't care about crosswind landings and was easier (safer) to taxi because you could always see over the nose. (And those who say just S-turn or give other lame excuses, I will do my best to ignore you.)

In flight, of course, there was no difference.

But I did have one CFI buddy along in the back seat of the -8A in very, very light chop, and the Dutch roll translated into side to side motion in the back seat, and he requested that we terminate the flight.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
I would never make such decision for the above reason. Honestly, I believe those who badger others for the tail dragger, they either have some ego problem or some thing else wrong. Once in the air they both fly the same and on the ground all the advantages are for the nose gear, not to mention the insurance which becomes even more relevant with age.

So Build or buy what you like.
There is something wrong with people that badger about the tailwheel. It is a personal choice and they are not thinking about the advantages of a tricycle gear. Be an egotist if you want but quit badgering. I really liked my nosewheel the day I encountered a 24 knot gusting to 35kts at 60 degrees to my heading. I learned later some people use the taxiway to get the proper heading in those conditions.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:39 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70?
We don't like to admit that insurance carriers can pull our strings but the sad truth is you may have problems as a new 70 yr-old TW pilot getting coverage at a reasonable (any) cost. Best option might be to make the move to whatever RV you are most comfortable with now and just ignore us obnoxious tailwheel guys.