Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 07:47 AM

Default Securing iPad and overheating

Iíve seen older posts, but looking for good ideas for mounting iPads in the cockpit and dealing with overheating issues. I currently own an RV10. Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 07:58 AM

I have my mini on a RAM Xmount with suction cup on bottom corner of front window. Been there for 2 1/2 yrs with no overheating issues.
Garmin G900X
First Flight 2/14/2019
Old 04-15-2021, 08:08 AM

In my experience, the two best ways to cope with overheating are to avoid direct sunlight on the screen and to use a minimalist case. I have had good success with the RAM cradle cases which snap on at the corners and leave a good portion of the back exposed. Thicker or all encompassing cases can trap heat between the case and the device.

I generally use a yoke mount, which obviously won't work in the RV-10, but perhaps you could try mounting the RAM mount on your panel if the window isn't working out? They sell all different shapes and sizes.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 AM

Default Same here

I use a RAM spring-loaded "X" mount that hangs the ipad mini from my panel edge. A good solution and no overheating problems.

Incidentally ForeFlight will give you a verbal warning if your ipad starts getting too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaden View Post
In my experience, the two best ways to cope with overheating are to avoid direct sunlight on the screen and to use a minimalist case. I have had good success with the RAM cradle cases which snap on at the corners and leave a good portion of the back exposed. Thicker or all encompassing cases can trap heat between the case and the device.

I generally use a yoke mount, which obviously won't work in the RV-10, but perhaps you could try mounting the RAM mount on your panel if the window isn't working out? They sell all different shapes and sizes.
2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-15-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Arkon

I use one of these and it's surprisingly solid, and works perfectly in my RV-8 with an ipad 10.2.

https://www.arkon.com/product/TABRMA...nt-screws.html

You might want a different arm length in the RV-10 - they have just about every size imaginable. I like the screw mount - it's simple and solid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3636.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	10411

Last edited by rv8ch : 04-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:45 AM

I had that issue on the 6. On the 10, I made a custom mount that leaves the ipad very close to the inst. panel. WIth this approach, the dash overlap shields the ipad from most sunlight and I have not had a single overheat issue yet.

Larry
Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

VAF member makes these.

https://www.falkenavionics.com/flightdock-ipad-mount/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-15-2021, 12:30 PM

Default iPad Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitdog43 View Post
Iíve seen older posts, but looking for good ideas for mounting iPads in the cockpit and dealing with overheating issues. I currently own an RV10. Thanks
I also have an RV-10, and btw live in southern Arizona, so there is plenty of heat and sun. My iPad has a 9.7" screen--what I describe below may not work as well for a larger iPad, e.g. 12" Pro.

Basically, I use a RAM mounting system, attached to the Center Cabin Brace (p/n WD-1043).

RAM components include:
0.75-1.0" Handlebar Mount (from RAM's motorcycle aisle)
Double Socket Arm
X-Grip Universal Holder (ball on back--I don't recall if that was included with the X-Grip or ordered separately)

Between choosing how far up on the brace to affix the handlebar mount, and adjustability on each end of the arm, you should be able to find a position that works best for you. I use my iPad in portrait orientation. I use it for my EFB, including Wx, moving map/traffic (WiFi from a stratux box), as well as approach plates. For me at least, I prefer that to the PFD (too much real estate lost on an older EFIS with a 7" screen) or GPS Navigator screen (tiny display in the center stack).

I like the positioning because it's not a big transition from looking outside for traffic, or from an instrument scan to cross check an approach plate. Very easy to tap, scroll, etc... without going "head down". As positioned, my view of the upper left corner of the co-pilot side MFD is blocked. Basically for me (GRT Sport SX), I can't see fuel flow on the screen most often used without leaning to my right. Not a big deal as fuel flow is also shown on the PFD.

If I were to completely lose the electrical system (incl. B/U batteries), split screen mode would let me have a pseudo PFD, with GPS altitude and groundspeed instead of airspeed with this arrangement, and a chart or plate below it, again without a lot of head movement. I've shot a practice approach with that configuration, using the PFD/GPS info on top and the geo-referenced plate below (or left/right if rotated to landscape view). Not how I'd like to regularly fly, and of course not "legal", but in what would clearly be an emergency situation...

This has been my setup since 2018. Bottom line, I've never had an overheat situation while the iPad has been in the mount. I assume that the back of the X-Grip blocks some of the heat transfer. Taking it out of the mount and setting it on the seat before or after the flight is a different matter.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:41 PM

I also use a RAM ďtypeĒ mount I bought over Amazon attached to my panel but extending out towards me. However to help block the direct sunlight and heating you get in direct sun I made an iPad sun shade using stiff colored thick paper which is then laminated at Office Depot. This sun shade is placed on top of the iPad mount totally shading the iPad.

A cheap simple solution to protect it from direct sun and provides the additional benefit of keeping sunlight from washing out the iPad screen display. It does inconvenience the passenger a little but no one has complained.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level & auto-trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 04-15-2021, 02:51 PM

Ipads are fairly cheap. at least compared to avionics, so I have 2 in case one conks out or overheats. Also mount it down by the vent outlet so outside air can cool it somewhat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	10421