- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 PM

Default Best Stickum

OK, what are you guys using to glue the little squares for zip ties for hoses or wires inside of aircraft? And, do you need to sand down to raw aluminum to make it stick?
Thanks
Empennage Finished (except fiberglass), Wings Finished (except FG), Fuselage in progress. Restarted project 6/15/2020
N776DD (Reserved)
2021 Dues Paid

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Goop or Shoe Goo is what I remember using.

MEK or acetone clean the alum surface.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-18-2021, 01:29 AM

Default 3M

Just get the commercially available ones with 3 M adhesive back ...never had one pull off ....or buy 3 M emblem tape at auto parts store and make your own . Clean with Alcohol ......stick on over primer
Old 01-18-2021, 07:22 AM

The ones I bought with the tape on it (not 3M) wouldn't hold. I scraped the tape off, roughed up plastic and aluminum where it was attaching with 80 grit. Then used JB Weld Plastic bond for adhesion. It has a quick set time. I did find the aluminum needs roughed up for it to stick really well.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-5013.../dp/B009EU5ZMK
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 01-18-2021, 08:38 AM

Pro Seal or urethane adhesive - but scuff and clean with denatured alcohol. I would put 5+ into a small yogurt cup cover (all sitting on the bottom) with lighter fluid and cap. They would be clear of adhesive the next day.

edit: where possible I did the center-hole-pull-rivet method as the build progressed as it is a pita to pro seal them.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Last edited by BillL : 01-18-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:48 AM

I sand and clean the plastic after removing the provided tape. Then use 3M VHB or similar high strength tape. Has worked very well so far.

Larry
Old 01-18-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Best Stickum

Appreciate the help guys!
Empennage Finished (except fiberglass), Wings Finished (except FG), Fuselage in progress. Restarted project 6/15/2020
N776DD (Reserved)
2021 Dues Paid

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I have used Shoe Goo in the past and don't ever recall having one of those pop off (unlike the ones with foam tape - I consider those temporary....). But my current favorite stuff is ClickBond adhesive - it is a two-part concoction that is used in military and commercial aircraft and just doesn’t fail. I like it better than Shoe Goo because it cures in about twenty minutes.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-18-2021, 09:09 AM

You can purchase the ones that do not have the adhesive on the bottom.
I like to:
Rough up the bottom of the squares on a piece of sand paper.
Rough up the spot where you are planning to put it with a piece of sandpaper.
Clean both with alcohol.
Attach with some 5 min epoxy. (I use either the clear Gorilla stuff or JB WEld)

I typically put a tie wrap in the slot, not zipped, as a handle and to keep the epoxy from getting in the slots when installing.

On one plane I was working on, the builder bonded them to the airframe, but didn't remove the adhesive and covering. Just bonded the paper to the aluminum and they all came loose in the heat. Right idea, bad execution. A gooey mess!
RV8
Old 01-18-2021, 09:09 AM

There is a "heavy duty" thick, white, double-sided tape for hanging pictures etc that works well. The backing tape is red as opposed to the white backing tape for the "regular strength" tape. The clear tape didn't seem to work as well and it's the devils work to get the clear backing tape off of it. The fittings like you describe that I have used it on have stayed stuck. WalMart, I believe. Scrape the old stuff off and put this on, cut to size.

Loctite makes a clear adhesive called Power Grab that STICKS things. The wiring, including the power cables and GPS antennae cable that comes from the aft area of the fuselage, has been stuck in place along the underside of the stringers with something similar and, changing the antennae cable recently, had to work hard to PRY it off of the stringer and curved underside of the bulkhead. I put it where I did not want to diminish the strength of the stringer by drilling holes and all aft of the baggage compartment, not in the cockpit. The Locktite stuff sticks NOW and cures in 24 hours. Be prepared to work on it if you have to relocate the cables you use it on.

ClickBond is wicked strong as well. Especially if the part is never going to move.......!
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Subscriber!

Last edited by Roadjunkie1 : 01-18-2021 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Additional information