camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
Todd,

Yes, it's normal. Your efis is likely fed through the ebus diode, which creates a voltage drop. Once you turn on your ebus switch it sees bus voltage.

You can improve the voltage drop by using a Schottky diode on the ebus.

Lenny
Voltage drop from a typical diode is .3 - .4 volts (.1 - .2 on a shotkey). A full one volt drop points to something different. Also need to confirm where the diodes are before making this assumption.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 08-09-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Larry,

That's under no load. Once you start applying some load it voltage drop increases to .4V+ on a Schottky. It can go up to 1.1V on a rectifier bridge.

See Figure 1. for the IXYS Schottky diode, and Figure 3 for the bridge rectifier.

The Schottky is used by Perihelion, and a similar bridge was recommended by Bob Nuckolls.

Lenny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ixys2.gif
Views:	94
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1011  Click image for larger version

Name:	rectifier.gif
Views:	93
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1012  
OnSpeed development team
Old 08-09-2020, 12:06 PM

It's been answered once above, but I'll answer it again.

The ACS regulator part is indeed the same as original, modified with a wire for the OV protection and comes with brushes. It's a good idea to keep one on hand for a spare. I used my spare the last time I had a failure, which was caused by a worn bearing that broke one of the brushes.

The current B&C offerings use a very similar regulator module, but it also is hacked internally to jumper a couple of terminals together to basically just bypass the whole module. The module is only there because it acts as the connector and has the proper terminals to distribute the connections to the alternator in the necessary spots.

While I would recommend a Plane-Power user keep a modified OEM regulator/brush Assy on hand, I think with a little work it would be easy to figure out which off the shelf part would work in a pinch, if you were willing to give up OV protection to get you home when AOG for a bad regulator.

One other note: Alternator shops are familiar enough with these types of alternators that if you can find one willing to help you, they can rebuild them completely, other than that regulator hack. So if you find yourself stuck, see if you can find a shop that will help.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Question

Why not just add OV protection externally like your regulator?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 08-09-2020, 01:03 PM

True, that would be an option as well.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The regulator sold by Spruce is the same thing as the original. It's also a Hartzell part number. I replaced mine with one from Spruce. Looks exactly the same with the wire included. They give you the whole assembly with brushes and everything.

Lenny
Sorry for my lack of familiarity with how an alternator is assembled, but this should be an easy question:
Is the replacement of the regulator/brush assembly something that can fairly easily be done in the field? Could it be done on the airplane without removing the alternator from the airplane? (this would depend on whether the cover is held on with screws that are only accessible from the side that is against the engine, or by screws that go in from the back and nothing else on the engine is in the way (as if that EVER happens))
Does the back cover come off the housing to access the regulator/brush module, so if you can get the cover off, you can easily replace the regulator/brush module?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 08-09-2020, 10:16 PM

Steve,
I am not sure if you could replace them without removing the alternator or not. I would think that with all the right tools, maybe. That said, I think that since you'd already have the bottom cowl off, all there would be to do is pull the large bolt and the adjuster arm bolt and you'd have the alternator off. That would give you a much better look at what the internals look like, and it would probably take less time, in the end. But yes, the regulator and brush assembly is just under the back cover, so it's not hard to get to.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Steve,

The back cover is held on by 3 screws all pointing aft. On the RV-10 there's plenty of room to remove it, not sure about the 4 cylinder engines.
Replacing the regulator/brush assembly is doable but you'll need a mirror or a phone camera to see what you are doing, especially if you haven't seen the internals of the alternator before.

Tim has a bunch of photos on his site, referenced a few posts above.

Lenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Sorry for my lack of familiarity with how an alternator is assembled, but this should be an easy question:
Is the replacement of the regulator/brush assembly something that can fairly easily be done in the field? Could it be done on the airplane without removing the alternator from the airplane? (this would depend on whether the cover is held on with screws that are only accessible from the side that is against the engine, or by screws that go in from the back and nothing else on the engine is in the way (as if that EVER happens))
Does the back cover come off the housing to access the regulator/brush module, so if you can get the cover off, you can easily replace the regulator/brush module?
OnSpeed development team
Old 08-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The regulator sold by Spruce is the same thing as the original. It's also a Hartzell part number. I replaced mine with one from Spruce. Looks exactly the same with the wire included. They give you the whole assembly with brushes and everything.

Lenny
Photos of Hartzell P/N 11-1043 Plane Power Regulator, Aircraft Spruce P/N 07-17968 $80.75
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	1195  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1196  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	1197  
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 08-13-2020, 07:16 AM

I suspect the YR6621 is merely a YR662 Toyota regulator clone with an added jumper wire. Apparently it is common worldwide, from a bunch of different sources.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-NEW...-/221848016822