- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Lightbulb Pressure testing lines

I see nowhere in the plans to test the brake and/or fuel lines for leaks. Is anybody doing this? If so, what method are you using? vacuum? pressure ? thanks ,
Ace

rv10
Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
I see nowhere in the plans to test the brake and/or fuel lines for leaks. Is anybody doing this? If so, what method are you using? vacuum? pressure ? thanks ,
Ace

rv10
I think you will find that most folks step on the brakes and fix what leaks

For fuel, turn on your pump and see what leaks. On the fuel, you can cap off the line at the engine and turn on the pump.

Low tech, but works.
Best,
Old 10-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Ace
I had the local A&P test mine. Cost me 10 dollars total for all my oil and fuel lines, he even remade one fitting. Getting to know the local A&P works out very well for both parties. They usually have some good advice on engines and you can teach them some metal working tricks. If they know they can come by your hanger and get the odd bolt of rivet, they will probably be quite generous when you need a hand.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:29 PM

I have a hose testing rig I built out of a hydraulic screw jack. If anyone wants to come to Cartersville, GA on a weekend, we can test (or destroy) hoses until youre heart is content.

Since I built my own hoses, I tested them to 150% of the value I expect the hoses to see in use.

The interesting issue (for me, anyway) was "Where to stop with the pressure testing?". For instance, if an oil hose might see 100 psi in service, but the hose is rated for 1,000 PSI, do you test to 150 PSI or to 1,000 PSI? Hypothetically, the hose end fitting might hang on just fine to 500 lbs, but might blow off at 501 PSI. Does that really matter to me in my 100 PSI application???
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-08-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Pressure testing the fuel system, not just the hoses.

Before buttoning up the fuel and brake lines with covers, hoses and the forward fuselage , I wanted to check my entire system for leaks. I am less worried about the hoses as they were tested by the supplier, http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/

I am much more concerned about the fittings connecting them all together.

I have 2 electric fuel pumps, fuel filters and a duplex Andair fuel valve. Is it advisable to pressure test this as a system (not the tanks) from wing root to firewall. The working pressure will be 35 PSI.

If I do pressure test them, what is considered acceptable? An obvious leak is easily recognizable. What pressure should I test it to? How long should it be tested for and what, if any is an acceptable pressure loss over x hours.

Is the Andair fuel valve able to be pressure tested? I just sent them an email.

Thank you.
Tail Kit delivered 6-2013
Finished QB wings on September 2018
Moved to Port Orange Florida November 2018
Tailcone mounted to Fuselage on 3-1-2020
Finished Fuselage April / May 2020
Working working working on Doors
Engine Ordered (BPA/Fly-EFII 8/1/2020
Dues Paid through 2021
Old 04-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MElstien View Post
Before buttoning up the fuel and brake lines with covers, hoses and the forward fuselage , I wanted to check my entire system for leaks. I am less worried about the hoses as they were tested by the supplier, http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/

I am much more concerned about the fittings connecting them all together.

I have 2 electric fuel pumps, fuel filters and a duplex Andair fuel valve. Is it advisable to pressure test this as a system (not the tanks) from wing root to firewall. The working pressure will be 35 PSI.

If I do pressure test them, what is considered acceptable? An obvious leak is easily recognizable. What pressure should I test it to? How long should it be tested for and what, if any is an acceptable pressure loss over x hours.

Is the Andair fuel valve able to be pressure tested? I just sent them an email.

Thank you.
If I were to go to that level of testing, I would plumb in a 1/4" NPT fitting and apply an air hose connection. Pump up the regulator to 50-60 PSI and use soapy water on each connection. Could also plumb valve soe that you could see if the rig holds the 50 PSI for a few minutes. A rapid drop in pressure points to a leak big enough to need addressing. When my servo was fresh back from O/H by AFP, at ICO, my fuel pressure would be 15 PSI one hour after engine shutdown; a pretty good indication that I had no leaks in my system.

Don't pressure test the valve, as it is not installed in a pressure environment. It is possible that it is not designed to handle any significant pressure, as it sits on the suction side.

Last edited by lr172 : 04-08-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 AM

Is the Andair fuel valve able to be tested?

I applied shop air to the line that connects to the tank and capped the line at the mechanical fuel pump and checked for leaks with soapy water. Andair valve and AFP pump did not leak at 80 psi.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:48 AM

I put 120 psi on my hoses with my compressor and two AN4 x 1/4"MIP fittings. 4 times working pressure with no leaks seemed like enough safety margin. Could have gone higher but this is already above my air hose working pressure.

Use caution, a blown hose could cause some damage. Strap it down!

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse complete 6/20 Finish kit Complete 8/20 Electric/Avionics complete 9/20 Engine hung 2/21 Moving soon for assembly 4/21 - truckin' on...
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 04-08-2021, 10:08 AM

Default Work

If i wanted to stress test my hoses i would bring them to work with me and have them listen to my boss for an hour. They still might leak, but at least i will have something to consul while flying.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-08-2021, 12:26 PM

Funny. Hopefully he doesn't have an interest experimental planes.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete