Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2022, 02:22 PM

I am 68, 5'11", 180 lbs. Had left total hip replacement in 2018, and right earlier this year. In both cases, up walking same day as surgery. Do the rehab faithfully and you should be back in the saddle in a matter of weeks, not months. My experience is 50% normal at 30-days, 90% at 6 months. 100% at 2-years. You can do it!
Old 08-27-2022, 03:30 PM

Advances in joint replacement surgery over the last 3-5 years…hip, knee, shoulder, elbow…have been truly astonishing. For the most part, postoperative pain, patient recovery, and joint longevity don’t bear much resemblance to those same operations done five years ago.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 08-28-2022, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Anterior approach surgey

Doug, make sure you choose a surgeon who does the anterior approach surgery. It is much less invasive than the traditional method and the recovery is much shorter. Dr. Crawford at Texas Hip and Knee does them. Hope you get back in the plane soon.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I am having left hip replacement surgery next Tuesday. I can imagine this will put a crimp in my flying. If you have had this done or know someone who has, can you share your experience with recovery and the process of getting back into the front seat? I will talk with the PT folks tomorrow. Stepping up on the wing is the most strenuous thing I do with that hip, and lately it has been quite sporting. But oh so worth it once I'm in. Maybe I need to practice stepping up on the wing with my right leg until things heal back.
I had my second hip replacement Jan. 10 of this year. I flew my RV6 64 days after my surgery date .

I had the more common posterior procedure. My hip precautions included not exceeding a 90° bend on the operated hip for at least 90 days.

I attached a cord to a small plastic step stool allowing me to pull the step stool up after getting on the wing and taking it with me. I could reverse the procedure after landing (it might take a couple of tries to get the stool located upright). My RV6 is a tip-up. Getting up from the setting position means most of the lift must come from the non-operated leg. Stepping over the side with out exceeding the 90° limitation is doable.

My first hip replacement was 17 years ago while I was still building my RV6. Both knees done between the two so now I'm kinda "titanium" man and much more pain free with the "store bought" after market parts.

RV-6 Flying
Old 08-28-2022, 12:31 PM

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your experience and perspective. Day after tomorrow I'll know more about how things turned out. I was hoping to get a bit more quality time with Athena before the surgery but the weather is not cooperating.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
You didn't mention the type canopy you have but if tip-up taildragger you may find pushing yourself up out of the seat to exit may be the most challenging. That first slide up the backrest requires pushing with feet and upper body strength. A slider is easier because you have handholds on the roll bar.

In any case, best wishes for a speedy and total recovery!
Cut your seat back shorter, just enough to clear the brace. You can then lift yourself out with your elbows.

It also makes it much easier to reach things in the back. The amount that you cut off is useless for back support... you will never miss it.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 08-28-2022, 02:59 PM

I had my right hip replaced a couple years ago. You never mentioned what type of surgery. There is a world of difference in recovery time and restrictions between the traditional posterior approach and the newer anterior approach.

I had the anterior approach done. Out patient procedure, no PT required. Doc wanted me walking as much as I could. First week was kinda miserable due to the surgical recovery, but after that was just getting used to the new hip. Medically cleared as a 747 cargo pilot in 4 weeks. Zero restrictions and two years later my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. YMMV

John
Old 09-01-2022, 07:02 AM

I'm home from the hospital and it's all pain and stiffness. The good news is I don't need to be concerned about the hip joint. It's solid, no matter what the surrounding muscles feel. The hospital staff said the pain and stiffness would increase in the days after surgery. I'm doing the OT and PT therapies, getting a few more aids to ease life at home, and generally moving about rather than being sentient. Onward through the pain.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:28 AM
been here awhile

Wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery! The RV-6 is patiently awaiting....
Old 09-01-2022, 11:55 AM

Doug needs to add joint replacement manufacturers as advertisers on this website.