- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Default GRT

I have an HX screen from GRT and it is a very nice system. I also have been flying a friend's plane with the Garmin setup. My take is that the GRT is similar to Android in the cellphone world. It does an enormous amount of things and is very cost effective. Exciting, fun additions such as heads up displays and heads up glasses come out and are affordable. I really liked the ability to use an Android screen as a wireless repeater for rear seat instruments. That was a nearly free way to get info to the rear seat. No need to buy second screens.

Garmin, on the other hand, is much more refined. Probably because their system was taken from the high end jet flight decks and adapted to fit the experimental world rather than coming from the experimental world (ultralight engine monitoring for GRT) and working up. I feel that difference for sure when using it. I'd say the Garmin is more like the iPhone in that it's not as open and I can't imagine them giving you any extra capability for free, but everything just works and works well.

My biggest problem with the GRT system is the interface with the flight director and autopilot. I've gotten used to it and use it all the time, but their lack of a dedicated control panel is a big downfall. The Garmin autopilot control panel interfaced to a G3X system and any of their IFR navigators feels rock solid and mirrors system functionality in much higher end equipment. I am very impressed with it.

My GRT system is awesome considering where it came from but doesn't feel like the Garmin and someone new to my plane who had flown with any system using an autopilot control panel would be cussing the autopilot inputs horribly. Trying to make quick inputs as you're getting clearance changes during instrument approach maneuvering takes a lot of practice. I've got over 1000 hours with mine and sometimes I still utter, "What's it doing now?" EFIS Nav versus GNAV, heading mode that won't change to approach mode even with ILS armed because it isn't in EFIS Nav anymore, auto selecting of a new mode with a screen timeout even though that's not what I selected, the list of oddities goes on and on. With all that said, it's still a fantastic system but it's very different from others. I'd recommend GRT for the pilot who wants flexible functionality, cost savings, and fun add-ons. If they ever fix the autopilot controls then I'd say they're top notch.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:04 AM

Default Touchscreens are really nice, BUT, in turbulence

they will really frustrate you! That is the main reason I went with the AFS5600T, with all the buttons and knobs. I have flown the other systems, (all great), but I am glad I went the direction I did. Support from AFS is second to none!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 11-04-2020, 01:48 AM

FWIW I've been flying with an MGL iEFIS for quite some time now..... in a Pitts.

Fastest bootup, alignment and acquisition time I've ever seen, and a very reliable product. They have a decent worldwide dealership (MGL USA support is excellent and I've used it a lot, and I don't even live in the USA!) but to be honest, if PCBs and chips aren't coming out of China, then it affects pretty much everyone's product no matter where you are.

They do a free USA nav database. While it is touchscreen, it is also controllable in the traditional way with soft-keys and knobs. Dealer's choice.

Common and understandable complaints are documentation, which is a bit all over the place (though there's generally good forum support, and tech support from MGL USA), and some people complain that it's "too customisable", which is true in that it is arguably more customisable in the way the screen displays information and the peripherals it will work with than many competitors, but you don't have to customise it if you don't want to. It does ship with stuff that "just works". Compulsive tinkerers like me just get suckered in.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
The one thing to keep in mind is that Garmin’s repair philosophy is one price to fix anything wrong, and can be expensive, also the Databases are somewhat pricy, if that matters to you. Dynon’s database is free and the Seattle Avionics database for the sectionals and plates is something like $100/ year.
Garmin exchange/repair prices on G3X equipment is very reasonable, folks always say Garmin repair is expensive but they are generalizing it with the higher cost of certified equipment repair costs like the IFR navigators.

Garmin G3X yearly databases, for everything, is $149/yr.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 11-04-2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Walt - just wait 'til you get outside the USA... Database prices are a much larger variable, thus a much stronger influence on total cost of ownership.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Garmin exchange/repair prices on G3X equipment is very reasonable, folks always say Garmin repair is expensive but they are generalizing it with the higher cost of certified equipment repair costs like the IFR navigators.

That sounds a lot better than the databases ever were from my 496. If I wanted monthly updates for all databases it was something like $749/ year. Crazy. I selectively updated twice a year due to the cost.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 11-04-2020, 02:56 PM

Another reason I love my DYNON SkyView, the database subscription is.... FREE! Then get my IFR charts/plates on FltplanGo... also FREE! I only pay for the subscription to my G430W which makes me GPS IFR legal.

2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-04-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:38 PM

There's commonly confusion on the database and pricing structure from Garmin. I just wanted to provide this database pricing link, where you can select your device and view the pricing options as a quick resource. Many of these are a yearly subscription that gives you 28 day cycle updates.

GPSMap 496 Americas (Including Canada): $299/yr. There is a $49 NavData one-time option as well.

G3X Touch: $149/yr Canada or US IFR Bundles, $49/yr for the US VFR Lite Option

Best Regards,

Brad
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 11-04-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
GPSMap 496 Americas (Including Canada): $299/yr. There is a $49 NavData one-time option as well.

G3X Touch: $149/yr Canada or US IFR Bundles, $49/yr for the US VFR Lite Option

Best Regards,

Brad
Walt,
Agreed they are a lot cheaper now than they used to be. I think competition drove them to become more reasonable.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 11-05-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Another reason I love my DYNON SkyView, the database subscription is.... FREE! Then get my IFR charts/plates on FltplanGo... also FREE!
Note that the "free" Dynon databases do not include any charts.