-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:02 PM

If you are willing to travel to Louisville Kentucky area, we can get you some air time behind Dynon to evaluate, and as much ground time as you want.

If you choose Dynon we can help with that as much or as little as you want also.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Of the other systems, which is the most complete, being closest to plug and play (easiest to build)?
Advanced. They build you a complete panel and you install it in the plane. Great customer service too.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 10-30-2020, 11:07 PM

GRT has one of the best EIFS, hands down.
Dues paid
Old 10-31-2020, 02:24 PM

I'm hoping to be able to get there sometime next week. I'll let you know in a couple of days. Thanks,
Rob

Vans RV-6a N543RV owner
Disabled Vet, but my paid dues are worth the minimal cost.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:36 PM

FWIW; I went with the DYNON SkyView system and after 7yrs I am convinced it was the right decision. YMMV

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 10-31-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:44 PM

One of my airplanes has a legacy Dynon EFIS - D100.

My other airplane has three GRT EFIS, a Mini-X, an HX and a Sport EX.

My only beef with GRT is their technical documentation is weak.

The flexibility of their equipment and its ability to support third-party devices is phenomenal.

Simplicity of installation tips the scales in favor of the GRT gear for me... and of course there's also a significant price advantage for my configuration.

I recently had an opportunity to fly as PIC behind both a new MGL EFIS and an AF5600. I found the MGL symbology and "buttonology" to be somewhat non-intuitive. By contrast, I found the AF5600 pretty much brain-dead-simple to use and I really enjoyed its symbology. Both the MGL and AFS screens offered excellent visual quality - stunningly crisp and clear.

This really is a choice you are best to make after getting some real "screen time" in a flying airplane. There's nothing quite like seeing the equipment perform in flight - that's when you might discover that you like the buttons on one box better than on another, for example.

You'll note I haven't mentioned Garmin. My favorite avionics brand is ABG... Anybody But Garmin. I really don't like their "big dog on the porch" business practices, always dipping deeper into your wallet for the feature or functionality that other vendors either include in the base price or offer for significantly less up-sell costs.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:22 PM

Dynon Skyview is one of the best EFISs, hands down.
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
600+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018 & 2019 & Petit Jean 2019
Old 10-31-2020, 09:37 PM

Default GRT

I bought my -7 with a GRT HXr installed. I have previously flown behind Garmin and AFS-both touchscreens. I like the GRT but haven't bonded with the buttonology of putting in waypoints or programming the autopilot. The touchscreens were more intuitive for me. I wish that there was more information on their web site about an upgrade. I need OSH!

They are all good.

John

Last edited by John Owen : 10-31-2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: needed to add
Old 11-01-2020, 03:38 AM

Default no bad choices

I think without flying your mission behind each of these it will be a hard decision. No matter which one you choose, it's probably going to be awesome. The competition today is intense, and the competitors are working hard to stay in the game.

I have a GRT Sport EX mainly because I originally bought their engine information system as part of an engine package. They work well together, and the GRT is well-supported by the team in Michigan. Not to mention, the value is excellent. I also have the pitch and roll autopilot servos which work great.

Wiring it was easy, diagrams are clear. Config takes an investment in time, because there are so many options. You just have to methodically go through the manual item by item. Took me several hours, with a bit of fine tuning after flying.

From what I've seen of my GRT and the other systems, you simply can't make a bad choice.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:21 AM

I didn’t see where you said whether this is to be a VFR or IFR panel. The main reason I ask is that all will require a separate IFR navigator, which could be either ILS or GPS. If the IFR navigator is going to be a Garmin GNS or GTN, I think the human factors are more consistent if the panel is all Garmin. BTW in my opinion, Garmin human factors are poor, but once learned it applies across their various systems. If you are just doing an ILS, or using Avidyne for the navigator the HDX or Advanced would be my choice.

If the airplane is VFR only, my personal choice is HDX, but Advanced is equally good.

The one thing to keep in mind is that Garmin’s repair philosophy is one price to fix anything wrong, and can be expensive, also the Databases are somewhat pricy, if that matters to you. Dynon’s database is free and the Seattle Avionics database for the sectionals and plates is something like $100/ year.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA

Last edited by RVDan : 11-01-2020 at 06:23 AM.