What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick length question

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
Just looking for a bit of info on stick lengths on the RV6. When the grip is fitted ? and to ensure that the stick can be moved fully in the square cut out (as I have control surfaces connected I assume that the stick should move fully in the floor pan cut out ??)

fjomf7.jpg

Simply put - do you end up with 14 ? inch from the top of the trim switch on the stick grip to the floor pan .. or do you trim it down a bit to ensure you do not hit the instrument panel or the throttle cluster ? To short a stick is not so good .. I understand .. but how short is to short ??

The top of the stick, including your thumb if there is a switch on top, must clear all other components of the aircraft in all possible positions.

If you're skinny, you can also add an "S" bend to effectively shorten it and move it to a more comfortable position.

I'd hook everything up and have the seat cushions installed before I'd do anything major.

Like Sam said, make sure it clears everything.

rant on Not related to the original post, but while we're on the related topic, make sure the rest of the control system clears everything too. I can't count the number of RVs I've looked at that had obvious squeaks, scrapes, clunks, and other interference in the controls. The only thing that the controls should touch are the CONTROL STOPS.

And, yes, you need to install the control stops properly too! rant off

Thanks for the comments Mel and Vince - I am cool with not hitting anything :) .. But how short is to short ? I have seen some very tall panels .. and people have had to cut several inches of the stick to not hit anything .. i.e. if the panel was not so tall .. the stick would not hit .. right ?

Just looking for a bit of info on stick lengths on the RV6. When the grip is fitted ? and to ensure that the stick can be moved fully in the square cut out (as I have control surfaces connected I assume that the stick should move fully in the floor pan cut out ??)

Simply put - do you end up with 14 ? inch from the top of the trim switch on the stick grip to the floor pan .. or do you trim it down a bit to ensure you do not hit the instrument panel or the throttle cluster ? To short a stick is not so good .. I understand .. but how short is to short ??

It depends on if you are using Van's standard panel or not. A lot of people have extended the bottom of the Van's panel for switches, etc. and ended up having to cut a lot off the stick (As you stated, not ideal to do)

With that said, I did cut off about 3/4" because I have a Laird Owens composite panel and needed the clearance. I can't feel any difference in the control force between my stick and several other RV-6's I have flown.

If I was at the hangar I would measure and actually answer your question... :D

Thanks Gary ! ... approx 3/4 off the standard steel tube and no difference in feel / handling ... good to know... What type of stick grip do you have ?

Thanks Gary ! ... approx 3/4 off the standard steel tube and no difference in feel / handling ... good to know... What type of stick grip do you have ?

Standard MAC with a single PTT button on top.

Photo taken during the build process.

28cq43m.png

The top of the stick, including your thumb if there is a switch on top, must clear all other components of the aircraft in all possible positions.

Mel, is thumb clearance preference or a requirement?
Bob

After flying in transition training, I concluded that no thumb clearance was needed, and that the only time the clearance was needed was checking free and correct controls. Just enough that if gust caught it the switches would not be broken off. YMMV

Mel, is thumb clearance preference or a requirement?
Bob

It's a requirement if you want my sign-off. You never know when you might have to use maximum control input. If you think you will never need max control, then adjust your control stops to match what you think you need.
Maximum control deflection is set by the aircraft designer for a reason.

I would not set the stick height until the seats are in and you are sitting in the plane. I cut mine down so that my forearm rests on my thigh while flying. This gives a very comfortable flying position. Prior to cutting it down I found myself holding the stick below the grip.

As long as possible.

Hi Jan

I was originally going to fit a baggage tray under the panel on my 4 so cut mine back to clear that. In the end I did not fit the tray but did fit an extended panel but have a lot of clearance. Now obviously the shorter you go the more the stick forces increase, also a small stick movement has a big effect.

I left my nine with long sticks.

What I have found is that with the long stick on the 9 I flew at full stick length for take off and landing, in the cruise my hand was on my lap 6 inches down the stick. With my 4 and the very short stick landing and takeoff is less forgiving. I much prefer to have the long stick in the TO and landing phase.

I think at some time I will re lengthen the stick but am putting this off till we get through the windy season we are having.

So my advice and its worth what you paid for it..... is leave it as long as you can with clearance.

I had to cut my stick twice.

I have Vans std panel and engine control subpanel. I did mount the subpanel such that the three engine controls (Throt, prop, mix) were centered in the cabin. ( I can't remember if that is per plans but I did mount it such that my fuel pump switch to the left of the throttle is off center to the left)

I used a Tosten grip and cut the stick to put the top of the Tosten where the top of the old stick was.

When nearly finished (rigged), I checked per Mels comments and found interference between the stick and the throttle knob when the throttle was pulled out.

Cut the stick again and all is well. No issues with "control stick being too short"

Tosten grips.

Jan, you mentioned maybe Tosten grips. I have those. Here's some dimensions for you to consider. The grip has bushing that inserts in stick. The grip is 6 3/4 from it's top to the stick. It can raise 1/4 to 1/2 additional height inside the bushing before you tighten the set screw, but I would suggest leaving it flush against the bushing. The grip cants forward by design so at the forward top of the HAT switch you are 2 inches forward of the stick shaft c/l. Your index finger wrapped around on the PTT is 3 inches forward of the stick shaft. With my panel, I need to cut 8 3/4 off the stick for my thumb to clear the idle throttle position. So, with a 6 3/4 grip, that means the end product is 2 inches shorter than the end of your measured stick. Long way of saying the vertical measurement, like your photo, was 12 1/4 inches. Idle position throttle was my limiter.

Thanks to everyone who has commented - I will do no cutting until i have the seats in place.

Wendell - interesting that you are at 12 1/4 inch - How many inches below the longeron is the bottom of the panel ?

I had to cut 1" off both sticks before my DAR would sign off on my RV-6A. The pilot's stick hit the throttle when it was pulled out, and the passenger's stick hit the mixture control when it was in the idle/cutoff position. I didn't think it would amuse him to note that I seldom fly with the mixture control pulled all the way out :)

I had to cut 1" off both sticks before my DAR would sign off on my RV-6A. The pilot's stick hit the throttle when it was pulled out, and the passenger's stick hit the mixture control when it was in the idle/cutoff position. I didn't think it would amuse him to note that I seldom fly with the mixture control pulled all the way out :)

I know it would be rare, but it is possible with an engine problem requiring shut-down.

Tosten grip

Jan, my panel bottom flange is about 3 3/8 below the longeron. My throttle/prop/mixture/cabin heat is offset to my side, putting the throttle 3" left of center, Prop 1/4" left of center and mixture 2 1/2 right of center. Pulled out to idle, the aft side of the throttle knob is 3 3/4 from the panel and 4 3/4 from the (1 inch) recessed control mounting bracket. The controls are all centered 1 1/4 below panel bottom in that recessed bracket. I could have made the cut at 1 5/8 but 2 gave my fat thumb some margin.

I had to cut my stick twice....

I used a Tosten grip and cut the stick to put the top of the Tosten where the top of the old stick was.

When nearly finished (rigged), I checked per Mels comments and found interference between the stick and the throttle knob when the throttle was pulled out.

Cut the stick again and all is well. No issues with "control stick being too short"

My experience (and A/C control figuration) are identical. In one of my last checks before the DAR visit, I pushed the stick full fwd and right, and found it hit the throttle knob when it was pulled all the way out. Had to cut another 1/2" to 3/4" off the stick (even thought the chances of having the throttle full off when the stick is full fwd and right are darned slim.)

you will discover that you mostly fly with 2 fingers holding the base of the stick, hand resting on leg. ham-fisting it from the grip is a good way to overcontrol [PIO]. I do hold the grip on take-off and landings. definitely want clearance for thumb. what I learned SO many times is don't make a cut until required. guessing usually comes out wrong, or imperfect.

Back