What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Magnetometer Wiring

Jeff A

Well Known Member
I searched old posts, but all I found were mounting questions. My question is what size wire to use (and shielded or unshieled) for the Dynon magnetometer. Also, any problems routing the magnetometer wiring in conjunction with the electric pitch trim servo? I'm trying to wire the aft end of my RV-8 with the anticipation of installing the EDC-D10 at a later date. I couldn't seem to find the info in the Dynon manual available on-line. They only reference the pre-made wire harness. All help is appreciated.

Jeff,

Call Stein, he makes the wiring harness for Dynon.

They are unshielded wires and the DSAB wires are twisted pair. In my case, I spent the cash and bought the wiring harness as it was much easier.

My wires run right next to my flap motor wires and the compass doesn't flinch when running that motor so I don't think (but don't know) you will have a problem.

Last edited:
Mine is a shielded 4 conductor cable. Here is a quote from the installation guide.

"The EDC cable in the harness supplied by Dynon consists of 4 conductors, surrounded by a metal shield and white insulation".

You can download the installation guides from the Dynon Web site.

I searched old posts, but all I found were mounting questions. My question is what size wire to use (and shielded or unshieled) for the Dynon magnetometer. Also, any problems routing the magnetometer wiring in conjunction with the electric pitch trim servo? I'm trying to wire the aft end of my RV-8 with the anticipation of installing the EDC-D10 at a later date. I couldn't seem to find the info in the Dynon manual available on-line. They only reference the pre-made wire harness. All help is appreciated.

The magnetometer wiring in my RV-6 is CAT-5 computer network cable. It has worked flawlessly since 2000. Some have pointed out that this cable has solid-core wires and might be prone to break........but I haven't found that to be the case.

Stein harness

The OEM/Stein harness (Spruce sells Stein harness also) is stranded wire, 18 feet, fm D10A to EDC-10A. It is 4 wire, each approx 22-24 gauge, plus a shield.

While we're on it, the OAT wire is also 4 wire, same gauge, plus a shield, plugs into EDC-10A DB9 connector as do cable pins fm D10A.

With the OEM harness, you will likely need extra DB9 fem pins, and a suitable crimper, unless you retain the extra lengths. Also fine tip solder iron, solder.

Of course, a teflon wire stripper, suitable for 22-24 gauge teflon, is a must also, even if buying the OEM harness.

Also, I think it's on the Dynon forum, they talk about separation distances proportional to amps thru wire, i.e. 2 feet away from a landing light/other high amp draw wire, but as little as 6 inches fm say a strobe wire (high V, low A). I'm near coax to Comm antenna at one point, guess I'll find out how that works as well, although RF (AC) and DC RFI are two different issues and solutions if need be.

Presently in the install phase for all this.

Last edited:
The wire can be basically any size. There's no real current. Practically this means 26 gauge or higher. Shielding is not a big deal if the two data wires are twisted (they can be twisted with the power as well), and even without twisting or shielding, chances are 99% you'll be fine.

You can run the WIRES in parallel to other wires, except maybe the high voltage strobe wires. The physical magnetometer box needs to be away from ferrous stuff and high current wires (but ironically, it's OK to be near high voltage stuff like the strobe wires). RF wires tend to be fine in all cases.

We do have full pinout instructions in the manual for building your own harness, but I guess we might not cover wire sizes and types. This is partially because it basically never matters what you use, because all the currents, voltages, and data rates in the system are so low that any practical wire works.

Back