Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Vertical Stabilizer Alert - Drawing 27A

I was talking to Van's today and we got on the topic of the vertical stabilizer. Kevin Miller encouraged me to share with EVERYONE to look at drawing 27A before fitting your VS and specifically the VS-702 TRIM DETAIL in the lower left corner. The drawing calls for the removal of 5/8" of material from VS-702. DON'T DO THAT.

Instead, fit the VS and remove only the amount needed to fit, if any. Removing 5/8" of material is probably too much and will likely require you to fabricate a doubler to add back what you just removed.

Hope that helps.....and arrives in time for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27A.pdf
Views:	605
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	5815  
Tail - Done
Fuselage - In Process
Old 12-17-2020, 05:14 PM

Default New mount

Yep. Common problem on the 7 as well. I encourage builders to search for part numbers before cutting critical components. I cut less and still had to make a new F781
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:35 PM

Yep that instruction to trim got me too about 18 months ago. You'd think Vans would correct this type of erroneous information. In the scope of things it wouldn't take much effort to edit it to be correct, apply a big brightly colored sticker on the plain page alerting that it's a trim to fit situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2020, 06:20 PM

Angry

Bummer, I just made this mistake today.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:26 PM

Default Not understanding - 7 or 8?

I am having a hard time understanding this. Confirming that you are talking about RV-8? The drawing 27A you attached is for RV-7.

I looked through my drawings and for the -8 the drawing is 78 and it says remove 9/16", not 5/8". I have marked a note in plans to verify the removal when I get to that point.
Waxhaw, NC
Based KEQY
Dues paid '21
Old 12-24-2020, 08:42 PM

I ended up removing quite close to 5/8ths on my 7A and it worked perfectly. I did however follow what Vanís mentioned and didnít trim anything until I knew how much after test fitting.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:02 AM

Default VS Spar Trim

It’s been a few years, but I recall following the plans for trimming the end of the VS forward spar and it worked out fine. Are you sure that you have the HS incidence correctly set and that you are properly setting the height of the VS and the VS leading edge by ensuring proper rear-spar and rudder hinge line alignment?

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 12-25-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:51 AM

Default Wrong ISO/Page/Airplane

Agree with A36Lee. pg78-8 is for the 8 and not 27. Could you and Miller have been talking about the 7?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pg 78-8.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	6170  
Old 12-25-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Kit Versiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTARM1 View Post
Agree with A36Lee. pg78-8 is for the 8 and not 27. Could you and Miller have been talking about the 7?
This depends on which version of the 8 kit the OP is building. If itís the original ďnon matched-holeĒ fuselage kit, then drawing 27 is the correct drawing. If heís building the ď-1Ē fuselage then drawing 78 is the correct one.

On the older fuselage kit, itís a bit tricky to set the correct height of the rear spar and this can affect the amount that the forward spar needs to be trimmed.

Skylor
Old 12-25-2020, 01:57 PM

Skylor, I'm new to the vernacular used in this forum and I don't know what is meant by OP could you let me know it's meaning? Also - I'm wondering - the plan posted by vomatic is labeled for the RV-7 and it doesn't say (anywhere that I could find) that it's for the RV-8. I understand some of the components are shared amongst different RV models, but is it normal to go by plans written for another airframe? Thank you...