camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 07-27-2022, 06:55 AM
unfluencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJackson View Post
Thank you for the update Doug.And thank you Keith for flying the rudder up here! I'm gathering up pop riveting tools etc. today. I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Now I have a worry free day to enjoy the show!
Good morning Larry (I set this same text to Keith in an earlier reply, then found your reply further down). The replacement rudder should arrive sometime Thursday. Could you reach out to me via email and let’s exchange contact information?

Kindest regards,
dr
  • Part time: G450/550 and Phenom 300 seat support at CAE (KDFW).

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 07-27-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:18 AM

Default RV7A Rudder closer to Oshkosh

I have the first rudder I put on my RV7A that I replaced with the new larger one.
I'm located 2 1/2 hour drive south of Oshkosh. Monroe, WI (KEFT)
Don't think you could fly down in an RV and be able to put it inside!
Phone number 608-966-3425 (Home number)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Hi Bill- It's wonderful to know that I have many options now to get me home. I was feeling fairly anxious over the weekend before I had a plan! Thank you for providing this second good option...
Old 07-27-2022, 09:45 PM

Default Gust Locks

I was at OSH on Saturday when the big blow came through. There were several A models damaged in my row along with more in the row in front and back of me. I have now gone through 2 - 50+ mph winds quartering on my rudder and survived no issues. Having a 14 at the show draws a lot of questions (Seems there are many in the build stage) and I show them my set-up and others around that did not do so well. I would be sick if mine was damaged after 5 years and 3,000 + hours of build time. One builder told me he would not return to OSH in the future. I would highly recommend rvplasticparts. My first gust locks I 3 D printed also with similar design, but these are much better. Mine is a A model.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 07-27-2022, 11:05 PM

For those of us who couldn't make it to Oshkosh, it would be much appreciated if someone went around and compiled a quick list of the types of rudder locks which DID work as intended. Please?
wings complete
fuselage in progress
Old 07-27-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I was at OSH on Saturday when the big blow came through
Same here… still don’t understand why 99% of the HBC aircraft park tail into wind, i.e. tails West, when prevailing strong winds are westerlies… every year

www.aerofun.ch
YLL On Tour... the blook:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=210564

RV-6.9i #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder

Last edited by Dan 57 : 07-27-2022 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
list of the types of rudder locks which DID work as intended
Went around… of those mostly exposed RVs, all the ones having the rudder TE held by an angle linked to both sides of the HS held. Same for the ones having padded strings slung on the VS/rudder.

Most failures were noted on self made fuselage rudder stops.
Noteworthy is that the Gizmo type of the title aircraft held good, but the rudder just bent due to it’s size and the very strong winds. Good luck with the replacement Larry, nice talking to you.
On one aircraft I was told by the owner that the anti-splat just broke…

www.aerofun.ch
YLL On Tour... the blook:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=210564

RV-6.9i #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder

Last edited by Dan 57 : 07-27-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:50 AM

Default ULTIMATE GUST LOCKS FOR RVS

The one that I saw the owner looking at in his was the ULTIMATE GUST LOCKS FOR RVS with a damaged rudder. He made the comment it was tight or as tight as he could get it. I did not want to ask anyone what they were using as they were already upset as one can imagine. Maybe someone from the OSH ground volunteer group can comment on why we were marshaled facing east. It's a good question.
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 07-28-2022, 08:07 AM

Iím in the same row as the bent rudder. My Anti splat Ultimate gust lock worked just fine on my 6A.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 donor and happy to do it.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
I was at OSH on Saturday when the big blow came through. There were several A models damaged in my row along with more in the row in front and back of me. I have now gone through 2 - 50+ mph winds quartering on my rudder and survived no issues. Having a 14 at the show draws a lot of questions (Seems there are many in the build stage) and I show them my set-up and others around that did not do so well. I would be sick if mine was damaged after 5 years and 3,000 + hours of build time. One builder told me he would not return to OSH in the future. I would highly recommend rvplasticparts. My first gust locks I 3 D printed also with similar design, but these are much better. Mine is a A model.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/
This is really the only way to gain the leverage needed to hold the rudder. While this is very simple to make, Iím sure many would rather buy it. However, I strongly recommend not using bungee cords. You do not want any momentum from the rudder whipping around in the wind.

Carl