What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wanted: Beta Testers for new Whelen lighting systems

Kahuna

Moderatoring
Interested in becoming a beta tester for some new Whelen LED Light kit systems for RV's? Well here is your chance. Here is what I need...
Volunteers for various models of RV's to purchase (at a significantly reduced rate) Landing Light kits, and/or nav/strobe system kits. All lights are certified Whelen systems. All will come with their 5 year standard LED lighting warranty.
Both Leading edge and Wing tip landing light systems are available.
Retro kits to existing lighting systems are available. (maybe you have halogen landing lights round or square and want to convert to LED. Or maybe you have Flash power pack Whelen strobes and want to change over to LED.)
Must be willing to:
1. Provide constant feedback on the buying experience
2. Be a fast installer. Systems to be installed in a weeks time (usually only takes a few hours per Light) upon receiving the system.
3. Provide pictures on your installation
4. Provide feedback on your installation documentation
5. Install the systems in the next 30-60 days.
6. Be detail oriented and flexible during the process
7. Sign a beta test confidentiality agreement

If you have interest, please head over to our team page and fill out a 'contact us' form. Let me know in the message what you have for an RV model, current light system if any, and what your interested in and we will start a dialogue. First come first serve basis.

If you have any questions you can ask them here.

Last edited:
Whelen

Kahuna,

I volunteer. The 'Borrowed Horse'

RV8.

Equipped with now.

Whelen Strobes / recognition lights on wing tips. Model A600 PG/PR. Series
Dual Strobe Power pack mounted on tip ribs. Model A90ATSC Series

Whelen white light on rudder. Model A500A Series
Duckworth 3" round landing lights in wing leading edge.

Thank You
Jay 'J bird' Pratt

Last edited:
I'm game. Was thinking about replacing my Whelen conventional nav/strobes with a home-brew LED system to save weight and power during the next few months anyway.

Landing lights are homebrew MR-16 LEDs. Two lamps per side (wing LE).

Bryan Jones
RV-8
Houston

Last edited:
Landing lights

The Doll has Duckworks square landing/taxi lights and I'd love to install the Whelen landing lights, and report progress. Already have Whelen postion /strobe/tail-light.

Last edited:
Im getting a lot of requests for retro fit folks.(owners looking to convert from this or that). Where are the builders?
Looking for folks who have not made any cutouts either in their leading edge and/or in their wingtip. Need an RV 3, 9,10 & 12EAB volunteer!

Im getting a lot of requests for retro fit folks.(owners looking to convert from this or that). Where are the builders?
Looking for folks who have not made any cutouts either in their leading edge and/or in their wingtip.

Would love to volunteer my RV8 build for this. I tell everyone that asks that it will be ready for Oshkosh.....I just don't tell them in which year. In my case probably not ready to take this on in a timely manner. Sounds like a tremendous opportunity for those closer to completion.

Oh Me! Pick Me!

Those of you with kids know that's from Shrek :) My 9A does not have the wing tips or the tail light touched yet. All installed on the airplane and wires run but no cutouts on the fiberglass. I do have duckworks leading edge lights installed in both wings.....round bulbs...which I intend to change to LED at some point. I was looking at the Whelen microburst set but maybe you have something even better....
Cheers.
Evan
530-351-1776
[email protected]

Would absolutely love to help ya Kahuna. But my 9A's still over a year out from being done. :(

Would absolutely love to help ya Kahuna. But my 9A's still over a year out from being done. :(

Bill, I dont need done! In fact I want not done. Your in the right place to do a light install. This is about installation not flying.

I have a -9A under constructions. The tips are mounted but cutouts are untouched. I have an old school strobe pack installed and wired, but have no nav light solution as of yet. Am I a candidate?

While you didn't list an 8, I'll be flying by summer and haven't made any decisions or holes in my tips yet!

I have a -9A under constructions. The tips are mounted but cutouts are untouched. I have an old school strobe pack installed and wired, but have no nav light solution as of yet. Am I a candidate?

David yes. Send me a note following the original post please.
Thanks

RV-10 new cut outs

I submitted your form, but our -10 is flying, but with no leading edge cut outs, so it could work for a new construction option for pictures.

Where are the builders?

Kahuna,
I am interested in becoming a beta tester for the new Whelen LED Light kit systems. I am a builder of a RV7. I have not made cuts into the wingtips although I have prepared the leading edge for Duckworks. I have completed the contact at teamaerodynamix.com.

I may be flying by OSH 2014. I have installed the vintage Whelen box and wiring in fuse but nothing more. No holes in wing, nothing in tail, nothing in wing tips.

I am certainly interested, but thought you implied flying for feedback of performance, and fast installation to match.

Full disclosure, one glitch, I have the wing tips with the 1" smaller notch. I would love to get a well engineered, complete, LED system at substantial discount!!

Thanks!

VAFers,
I have closed the registration for the beta program. Thank you all for your interest and participation. I did not get any RV-12 builders.:confused: I still need one of them. If your a 12 builder, Id love to hear from you. We are off to do some testing! Ill holler back if if I find I have a hold in my beta group.

Blast! Misread, didn't subscribe to the thread so I didn't get flooded with replies, and I lost. Oh well. My loss. :( Back to putting the AeroLEDs nav/strobe kit on this year's Osh shopping list.

Kahuna, if you have a slot for a 9A again for whatever reason, let me know. Been in many beta programs (for software, admittedly). And if push comes to shove, I can always hound Mutha/Badger the next time I'm at the airport. ;)

Status on the Whelen RV Kit?

Hey Kahuna,

I sent an email (too late) to be a beta tester. I got the notion that an RV kit with these lights will be coming out pretty quickly. I want to install them in my RV8. I am rapidly reaching completion and hope to finish up and install the wing tips shortly. Any idea when the kit will reach market? I could buy the three lights from ACS but thought they might be less expensive and better organized in a kit from you guys.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon,CA

Hey Kahuna,

I sent an email (too late) to be a beta tester. I got the notion that an RV kit with these lights will be coming out pretty quickly. I want to install them in my RV8. I am rapidly reaching completion and hope to finish up and install the wing tips shortly. Any idea when the kit will reach market? I could buy the three lights from ACS but thought they might be less expensive and better organized in a kit from you guys.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon,CA

Buy 3 lights from ACS? NOOOO dont do that. Buy from me! Stay tuned for our announcement on Monday. You will be able to order away then.

Orion Lights

Hi All,

I probably got the first non-beta install kit from Team AeroDynamix. It came UPS, good set of instructions and everything I needed for installation except for connectors for the tail light. Mike Stewart was extremely responsive with the few questions I had and seemed to listen to my feedback about improvements I suggested.

I tested the lights before install. Bright does not really describe it. The package insert says wear your sunglasses. Should have paid attention.

At any rate, they are very classy looking. Wiring was pretty simple and the lack of central generator and high voltage should keep the radios nice and quiet. The main advantage to getting these from AeroDynamix was really the customer support. Responsive, really helpful, part of our community.

Regards,
Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing

Back