- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:27 AM

Default Ipad mini 4 & ForeFlight

Since i have ADSB IN/OUT via EchoUAT/SafeFly WAAS, do I really need a ipad with GPS? Iím thinking of an upgrade of my mini 4 to a mini 6 for increased processor speed, brightness and more memory. I donít fly other planes, and I have an iFly740B as well as GRT SportSX/SafeFly I don't have/need cell service on the new ipad.

What will I loose in function if no internal GPS? Will I still have a icon moving on the magenta line as I do today?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2021, 09:25 AM

I fly with a IPad mini without gps. I have a unit called the Bad Elf Pro and it Bluetooths a gps signal to the iPad. Works great and the blue plane flies the magenta line. The Bad Elf is about the size of a stop watch. I think without some GPS input you will not have the moving Icon. At least mine wonít.

Keith

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2023
Old 11-14-2021, 10:01 AM

Probably don't "need" the GPS version. I just went through this same decision as I only use my iPad for flying and nothing else (not even web surfing, email etc). It stays at the airport.

In the end I realized a $150 wasn't too bad a one-time price for an extra backup GPS location feature. I ferry aircraft on occasion and also have a few airplanes with different equipment so it was easier in my case.

Last week I ordered a GPS version iPad Mini 6 outright from the Apple store without a cellular plan (these have a multiple-week wait for delivery currently). I have no use for built-in data as I am always near wifi andalso my cell phone can hotspot data to the iPad any time I need it. I see the discounted versions offered by cellular carriers but they require a data contract that eclipses the outright price.

Be advised the iPad Mini 6 is a different form factor and so legacy cases, cradles and knee boards may need to be replaced to accommodate the new dimensions.

Last edited by jliltd : 11-14-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-14-2021, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your input Ö..
Old 11-14-2021, 01:59 PM

The first time you have to troubleshoot the connection between the devices you'll wish you just paid the $150... IMO that's not too much to have a backup GPS.

Plus if you ever have to ditch and walk back to civilization sure would be nice to have a built in GPS to your mapping device.

I have the mini 6 cellular and love it.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:04 PM

You DO NOT need a iPad with cell data or built in GPS to have full functionality including location and moving map on foreflight if its input is an Echo UAT with Skyfyx. Echo creates its own mini network and sends GPS, Wx, and traffic to the ipad directly. The cheapest ipad you can find will do the trick. That’s been my setup for ADS-B in and out for the past two years. Works great.

Donation reminder: Jun. 2023

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 11-14-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weefle View Post
I fly with a IPad mini without gps. I have a unit called the Bad Elf Pro and it Bluetooths a gps signal to the iPad. Works great and the blue plane flies the magenta line. The Bad Elf is about the size of a stop watch. I think without some GPS input you will not have the moving Icon. At least mine wonít.

Keith
Itís probably worth noting that an iPad Mini + Bad Elf Pro totals the same cost as the iPad Mini with cellular/GPS built in.

Personally, for $10/month I find cellular capability on my iPads to be very useful.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-15-2021, 04:38 AM

Default Input

Donít have cellular so not sure what works with cellular. I have a Stratus 2S and a Mini 5. I do like that I have the back up gps and moving map info (that comes with cellular I believe), as well as the ADSB In and Wx, but I really like the AHRS. The back op PFD/ADI, is proving to be very accurate and, although I would not want to fly it to mins in crummy wx, it would certainly get me home in case of a full up navigation/electric failure. One more backup, not dependent on ship power, for when times go bad.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:58 AM

Default $$$

Quit being CHEAP Butch and just get the GPS model.
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying ďKĒ
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
900+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018, 2019 & 2022. Petit Jean 2019 & 2021
Old 11-15-2021, 08:54 AM

Note that T-mobile offers no contract prepaid data plan which can be purchased from the Cellular settings page on all the modern iPads with cellular. They have changed the offerings a bit but itís usually about $10 for 5GB - again prepaid no contract and no SIM card required. If you only need cellular data sporadically itís a pretty good deal.