Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2020, 03:44 PM

Switches, USB and knobs arranged in a logical order, in six groups.

First group. All on for takeoff and landing — Eight up on the checklist:

Master - Avionics -Alt field. - Ignition - Trim - AP Servos - Strobe -Fuel Pump -Fuel PP Run light
Avionics is a 4PST, ignition is the single Lightspeed

Second group, knobs. Cabin heat, Pilot - Rear Seats

Third group, U S B sockets
10” display - 7” displace

Forth group - Lights
Landing (3 positions, landing, wig-wag, off) - Dimmer - instrument - running

Fifth group
Alt instrument air (switch to a normally closed solenoid valve opening to cabin) - alt engine air (knob) - pitot heat

Sixth group
Seat heaters, pilot, copilot - alternate endurance buss feed

MOST IMPORTANT. Money, bags and bags of money!
HP-18 5596S flying since '83
RV-10 996S flying since 2014, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:22 AM

Like what Bruce said...I always desk fly my panel and see how the flow goes for startup / t/o / landing. Have you tried that?

As a result my switches flow from left to right and then right to left based on the stage of flight. Do you have a smooth flow? Imagine your hands on the throttle and stick and practice each stage to see if you cross-hands or have to search for which comes next and find yourself crossing and moving across the panel multiple ways?

Building - Zenith 750 [11323] CruzerDuty27.5
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
Old 12-25-2020, 10:58 AM

How about a windshield to look out of when flying
Old 12-25-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Windshield had to go..

Wolfrv6...The windsheld had to go to make room for the 2nd G3x.

I really like what Josh mentioned about chair-flying in front of a mockup from start to finish. Sorta seems like an obvious thing to do now that I've heard it.

Thanks for starting the thread...good stuff.
Waiting on RV-8 QB Fuse/Wing
currently (over) analyzing the options.
2021 donation…check
Old 12-26-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Wouldn't a "ball" not really help in IMC? You really need the needle or turn coordinator to let you know if you're turning, and which way to level the wings. The ball alone will just keep you coordinated as you spiral out of the sky.
Absolutely true, it won't do squat all by itself. I just like the idea of one that's nice and easily visible up high on the panel for general use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbardell View Post
Like what Bruce said...I always desk fly my panel and see how the flow goes for startup / t/o / landing. Have you tried that?

As a result my switches flow from left to right and then right to left based on the stage of flight. Do you have a smooth flow? Imagine your hands on the throttle and stick and practice each stage to see if you cross-hands or have to search for which comes next and find yourself crossing and moving across the panel multiple ways?
Yes, I have done some chair flying in parellel with checklist development. Might swap nav and strobe lights. Otherwise, I'm mostly happy with where things are now.

Switching hands for stuff on the left should only take place prior to engine start, and then during runup (checking ignitions and fuel pumps). Otherwise, there should be no need to touch them till shutdown, short of an engine fire or something like that.

My layout and checklist flow tries to duplicate the one we use in Dad's carb-and-mag -6 as best I can manage it, given the very different systems, and I think it'll work quite well actually. Starting and runup are very different, but the pre-takeoff, post-takeoff, and landing checks are basically the same, and follow the same pattern through the cockpit. Biggest difference is flaps and trim being on the stick instead of between the seats.

I kept the complicated parts to "on ground stationary" conditions, and the critical flight phase checks are short, simple, and limited to safety-critical items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrv6 View Post
How about a windshield to look out of when flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam@riddlehill.com View Post
Wolfrv6...The windsheld had to go to make room for the 2nd G3x.
Haha! No worries, plenty of visiblity even out of a slider
Second screen really is intended for the right-seater--most of those that'll be flying with me are savvy enough that they'll be able to make use of it. From firsthand experience, crew coordination on a single screen can be awkward.

Of course, there's also an element of "now or never"--I might as well fit out as best I can now, while I'm not flying and am still in "saving for building" mode. I'm probably not going to want to stop flying later for extensive upgrades, and I've promised my wife the required cash flow will go down once it's flying

Quote:
I really like what Josh mentioned about chair-flying in front of a mockup from start to finish. Sorta seems like an obvious thing to do now that I've heard it.
If you're going to sit in the cockpit and make airplane noises, you might as well do something useful while you're there

Quote:
Thanks for starting the thread...good stuff.
Thanks! My biggest reason for posing the question was to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything--I'm probably going to get the panel laser cut soon so I can start wiring things, and didn't want to come back later and have to add something I'd forgotten. A deliberate upmajor grade several years down the road is one thing; forgetting something I'd need from day 1 like the ELT remote and having to find space on a brand-new, freshly-painted panel is another.

I've gotten a couple of good suggestions for inexpensive but useful items already, so it's worked well.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Default Combine

You can combine some of those switches. Have you considered using 2-10 switches for nav/strobes or land/taxi lights?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQ..._as=subscriber

Steve "Stu"
Cold Lake, Alberta
7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
8 #82842 - C-FSBG - Fastback - built - sold
4 #2723 - building
Old 12-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhurlbut View Post
You can combine some of those switches. Have you considered using 2-10 switches for nav/strobes or land/taxi lights?
Yes, Icould combine one or two more... but I don't want to. I'm happy with the functions as they are.