- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:08 PM

Default Tracking Down Oil leak - Looking Like a Stud

Pun intended...things were getting too oily so I decided to hunt it down. Here's what I did...
  1. I washed down my O320-E2D really well with Aviation Simple Green and low pressure warm water to get most of oil and grime off.
  2. Finished wiping off any residue really well with avgas and shop paper towels
  3. Inspected engine under UV prior to running to ensure no oil was detected and engine was clean
  4. Ran engine for 5 minutes
  5. Inspected in dark hanger with UV flashlight

I possibly have a drainback tube leaking but I certainly have a cylinder stud or two leaking. Below is a picture of the worst offender. This is only after running for 5 minutes with a normal run-up.

You can see that the oil glows much better than I was expecting. I had read the Aeroshell glows under UV, but the this is Phillips XC without any dye added. In case someone wants to duplicate my process.

Im wondering what the best way to try and seal this up without pulling a jug??? Loctite 290 or low strength 220??? Permatex Spray Sealant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1516.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	6983  
2019-2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by avrojockey : 01-14-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:46 PM

Good question,

Mine is on the bottom of the cyl thats weeping.

Tim
Old 01-15-2021, 02:50 AM

Default UV light

Hi Tim, I too have a leak on my E2D. Had it since I had the engine tore down and upgraded to 160 hp but canít figure out where it is coming from. Is the UV flashlight you are using just a small one or does it have to be one of the larger ones? There are a lot of different ones to choose from.

As far as a cure for your stud leak, have you ensured it is at the correct torque?

Thanks
Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM

Default UV Light

Buy the 30 or 50 bulb lights on Amazon. Less than $20......
An oil leak will show up as a lime green. Pull your dip stick and shine the light on it to see the color you are looking for.
RV12 - Flying - Sold
Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
Pun intended...things were getting too oily so I decided to hunt it down. Here's what I did...
  1. I washed down my O320-E2D really well with Aviation Simple Green and low pressure warm water to get most of oil and grime off.
  2. Finished wiping off any residue really well with avgas and shop paper towels
  3. Inspected engine under UV prior to running to ensure no oil was detected and engine was clean
  4. Ran engine for 5 minutes
  5. Inspected in dark hanger with UV flashlight

I possibly have a drainback tube leaking but I certainly have a cylinder stud or two leaking. Below is a picture of the worst offender. This is only after running for 5 minutes with a normal run-up.

You can see that the oil glows much better than I was expecting. I had read the Aeroshell glows under UV, but the this is Phillips XC without any dye added. In case someone wants to duplicate my process.

Im wondering what the best way to try and seal this up without pulling a jug??? Loctite 290 or low strength 220??? Permatex Spray Sealant
Hard to tell if that is 1 or 2. Is it a through stud or fixed stud? Not a lot of ways to get leaks at the stud, except a bad o-ring or damage bevel but would not expect that at the top. I had a leak from the rod tube seals and it looked just like yours. It was very hard to see the oil between the seal and cyl. Suggest you look more closely there and run your finger over the area where the oil should be and feel for it.

Larry
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 664781 View Post
Buy the 30 or 50 bulb lights on Amazon. Less than $20......
An oil leak will show up as a lime green. Pull your dip stick and shine the light on it to see the color you are looking for.
I heard this and took my UV light and 15W-50 Aeroshell did not illuminate. I wish it had, then I could use it as aero flow tracing fluid.

Maybe it is UV frequency, do we know the range of the specifications that might stimulate oil?

I just got a bottle of dye for the oil. It also works in coolant :-)

Edit: getting no definitive answers for the question, I did a little research on fluorescence resulting in purchase of a 395nm (nanometer) LED flashlight from Amazon. I rechecked my Aeroshell oil for fluorescence and it is indeed activated by this wavelength.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	7981

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
ďI often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.Ē

Last edited by BillL : 02-05-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY6 View Post
Hi Tim, I too have a leak on my E2D. Had it since I had the engine tore down and upgraded to 160 hp but canít figure out where it is coming from. Is the UV flashlight you are using just a small one or does it have to be one of the larger ones? There are a lot of different ones to choose from.

As far as a cure for your stud leak, have you ensured it is at the correct torque?

Thanks
From Batteries Plus...it's smaller than the picture implies, so it can get into tight places. Worked great!

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/fla10020
2019-2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Hard to tell if that is 1 or 2. Is it a through stud or fixed stud? Not a lot of ways to get leaks at the stud, except a bad o-ring or damage bevel but would not expect that at the top. I had a leak from the rod tube seals and it looked just like yours. It was very hard to see the oil between the seal and cyl. Suggest you look more closely there and run your finger over the area where the oil should be and feel for it.

Larry
#2, through stud and it's not coming from anything but the threads so I don't think it the cylinder base o-ring. I understand the through stud leak can only be permanently fixed at overhaul. I'm not nearing that...it just causing a mess. It's not leaking much (my burn rate is 19hr/qt), but as you know even a little gets everywhere.

The engine was so clean before I did the run-up I could eat off it, so if it came from pushrod tube, you would see it above in the picture. I'm going to do check again to make sure
2019-2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2021, 11:29 AM

I think a lot of people are going to say at 19 hours per quart be super happy and worry not. Changing oil makes more mess than your leak if it really is one.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
#2, through stud and it's not coming from anything but the threads so I don't think it the cylinder base o-ring. I understand the through stud leak can only be permanently fixed at overhaul. I'm not nearing that...it just causing a mess. It's not leaking much (my burn rate is 19hr/qt), but as you know even a little gets everywhere.

The engine was so clean before I did the run-up I could eat off it, so if it came from pushrod tube, you would see it above in the picture. I'm going to do check again to make sure
Through stud is supposed to be a tight slip fit fit with the case bore. Most shops, like Divco, won't let the case out with bolts that do not meet that spec. This type of fit should not allow any significant oil passage. Further, o-rings are used inside the case surrounding these studs to avoid exactly this problem. How many hours on this engine? Loctite on the threads of the nut will do nothing. Would need to remove the jug and put some kind of sealant where the bolts leaves the case, if it is actually coming out via clearance at the stud.

If it truly is coming from the through studs, I would be worried about significant case fretting or a case crack at the webbing. Either way, it needs a professional examination.

Last edited by lr172 : 01-16-2021 at 09:44 AM.