What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun anyone? (April 9-14, 2013)

izzybear

Well Known Member
Friend
So, it's a little over 2 months before sun-n-fun and SkykingBob and I were discussing plans to go this year... Is it too early to start talking about it?

I was there many years ago - but I am really excited to go back as a "Builder" and see all the cool stuff to put into my -8. I am also looking forward to seeing different panels, interiors and paint jobs for ideas. But definitely the biggest PLUS would be to meet/see some of my VAF friends I have been chatting with here on the forums... I know there is a RV/VAF meet-n-greet at Airventure, but not sure if there is something like that for Sun-n-Fun?

I am currently thinking that I will be there all day Tuesday and Wednesday, but could extend it to Wednesday too, but I am trying to save vacation days for "build days". Just thought I would throw the thought out there - in case anyone was planning on going?

Just curious what others might be planning (flying/driving/camping/which days, etc.) :D

We will be in HBC...

We will make the trek again this year... love Mary Jane and all of the gang at HBC out in the boonies of the show ;)

It will be HBC again for me, staying Thursday through Saturday evening. This will be my 7th straight year for me and my -9. My son burned out after about five SNFs so I am trying to get my dad to come along with me this year.
I always enjoy the comaraderie in HBC which is made most enjoyable by MJ and her crew.
I hope this year to see some specials on ADS-B stuff, it's time to get away from XM weather fees.

I'll be there!

I'm flying down from New York, with my wife hopefully and a few friends. I'm in my 6 and my Buddy will be in his 4. Another friend is flying his Lancair down. It has always been a nice flight down and I'm looking forward to it.

Last year was my first time to SnF, and we had to go to be there with the RV-1. I figured that with us moving to the left coast with retirement, it might have been a one-shot deal, but it now looks like the new job is going to make it a necessary trek once a year...could be worse things to be "forced" into! ;)

I think I may have a room somewhere, but will definitely try to visit the HBC gang out there in the boonies in the evening.

I will be there

I live near Seattle but will make the trip, actually the plane goes to Texas for Paint next week and I will pick it up mid March and fly to Florida. I have vacation and all of my family is out there so I plan to spend a couple weeks flying around the SE and work in SnF. I will be flying in each day from Orlando, most likely the weekdays and miss the weekend crowds.

See you there.

I usually try to go the first part of the week, but this year I'm going to have to drive in and won't be there until Friday & Saturday.

This will be my first trip in MANY years. With all the activities going on in Florida, Eagle's Nest Projects needs to be there, and I plan on it. Stop by--we plan on having a booth and Eagle's Nest One. A good chance to see what kids can do!

Bob

Now, as they took a picture of my -8 at HBC last year and used it for this year's poster, how could I not be going!

Hope to join Smitty, Mary-Jane and all the regulars at HBC for a few days. Arriving Thursday evening (before 7pm!) if all goes to plan.

HBC is on taxiway E heading east past vintage and seaplanes going towards choppertown. It is not shown on the 2012 map but it does point towards HBC. Tram stops are located there and the Friday feed is always a great time. Free beer, coffee, and snacks are always available for the happy campers.

I have a serious conflict, but weather permitting, I will get to HBC for Sat and Sat night. Have to visit friends, if only for one night

Collection can!

Just a point if clarification on the 'free' beer and snacks... although no one makes a big deal out of it, the great hosting is made possible through donations and the community collection can!

I'm thinking about going. I got a nice note passed along to Jack Pelton from [FONT=&quot]Bob Showalter , who said if I go to Sun 'n Fun, he'd fill up the tanks for free because he liked the article that was in Sport Aviation. Up to then, I hadn't been thinking about it, partly because the only thing I really know about it is they have rain, and storms, and mud and stuff and I guess people fly there but beyond that, I'm not sure what the great attraction is.[/FONT]

I'll be there camping again this year. I wonder if they will let me in the HBC with a Citabria if I just put a HBC sign in the window? Last year I ended up by the VOR and lonely.

Cool!

Well I am psyched about it! No airplane to fly down so I will probably set up camp in a hotel!:D TBD

Just a point if clarification on the 'free' beer and snacks... although no one makes a big deal out of it, the great hosting is made possible through donations and the community collection can!

Precisely. Thanks. Also, the Friday night feed is funded by presold dinner tickets in HBC. $20 (or is it 25) covers steak or chicken, drinks, dessert, and sides. Well worth it! Hard to beat a great grilled meal, conversation, and a nighttime airshow all from the comfort of your lawn chair!

+2

My grandfather and I will be making the trek and staying in HBC. Not going to make OshKosh this year, I will be moving back to the west coast during the show, so this is our adventure. Be there Thursday - Sunday. Looking forward to meeting new people and catching up with those I have met before.

Dan

Well, now you've got me thinking. I've never been to SnF, and I specifically recall that last year Josie wanted to go down, but we weren't able to. I'm saving my big chunk of vacation time for (hopefully) my first fly-in Oshkosh trip, so if I come, it'll probably just be for the weekend, and maybe just driving.

We'll have to talk over this tonight when I get home...it'd be nice to meet my RV-8 build brother Jim in person!

:)

I'll be there Thursday & Friday, but the days can change with weather.
I usually just fly in for the day as its only a 15min flight from my home base.

Sometime, I'd like to do the HBC thing to have the chance to meet everyone.
It sounds like you all have a good time.

Will be driving down on Wednesday, spending Thursday at Jack Brown's Seaplane base getting current on floats again. And then at Sun n Fun on Friday and Saturday...camping out at the Avenue Hotel.

I'm thinking about going. I got a nice note passed along to Jack Pelton from [FONT=&quot]Bob Showalter , who said if I go to Sun 'n Fun, he'd fill up the tanks for free because he liked the article that was in Sport Aviation. Up to then, I hadn't been thinking about it, partly because the only thing I really know about it is they have rain, and storms, and mud and stuff and I guess people fly there but beyond that, I'm not sure what the great attraction is.[/FONT]

Bob, if you go I think you'll enjoy it. When the weather's good, it's a great fly-in and you don't have to worry about mud, it's sand down there. It's a good time and it's the only one I can get my bride to go to. She doesn't like the big O show.

Been a few times

But never as a builder!

I am trying to take one of our helicopters for a static display, but that will be after the possible sequester. If Navy says no, I plan to visit with any local RVer who wants help with gas!

Keepin' the whirly side up and dirty side down.
Keepin' the shiny side up and dirty side down.

we will be commuting to and from every day. the passenger reservations are filling up all ready. see you all there for a great time. if you know a QB join up at there club house just before noon for the best deal on lunch. ill be there on the front porch to get you in if needed. they are located next to EAA radio or just SE of the honda booth. :):):)
img0553i.jpg

I wonder if they will let me in the HBC with a Citabria if I just put a HBC sign in the window?

I doubt it. They would not let me with our Maule a few years ago despite the fact I that I flew in together with friends in MY Kitfox.

I understand the possibility of limited space (wasn't really an issue that time) and I would surely be irritated myself if I couldn't get into HBC with an experimental only to find several certifieds sitting there.

I'm hoping to make it down again this year, weather and work schedule permitting. I'd like to arrive at HBC on Wednesday, and fly home on Saturday.

Ive, been to SnF many times but never flew in.

What is the HBC? Is it somehow preferred? I plan on flying in with my Grandson Friday morning and spend one night. What times on Friday will the airport be available landing? I recall in past events the airport was closed for ga traffic for long periods. Is there a RV get together Friday evening?

Bill Phillips
RV-8A, 86 hrs

I and my wife we're going to be at Sun-n-Fun as previous years. We have never visited HBC before usually we stay in Tampa.

What is the HBC? Is it somehow preferred? What times on Friday will the airport be available landing? Is there a RV get together Friday evening?

1. HomeBuilt Camping.
2. We like it. Convenient coffee, breakfast, drinks, evening meals. Far better than KOSH last year in this regard IMHO. Donations accepted by hostess (Mary Jane).
3. KLAL generally open before and after airshow. Check Notam on SNF website.
4. More RVs than anything else there so basically RV get together every night.

Maxwell,
Good to know what your experience was.
If I can't get in HBC guess I can walk. I was going to do Wednesday and Thursday but sounds like I should move it back a day.

Exactly!

Right back at you Philip! I have been following your thoughts on your blog as well as these forums - since you are just ahead of me in the build - it seems like you and I are working thru the same issues! :D That's exactly my excitement in going to SnF this year - talking to all of my builder "friends" in person!!

It sounds like All day Tuesday and Wednesday will not be enough time to meet the maximum number of RV-ers as it looks like the bulk of you are coming in for the weekend festivities. :eek: Might have to consider an extension...

...it'd be nice to meet my RV-8 build brother Jim in person!

:)

Sun n Fun

All this talk is making me want to go too. Carol and I missed the last two years.

Hmmmmmmmm

Yes....I took vacation for the whole week but wasn't actually planning to be there the whole time, now I am re-thinking what to do as far as the time....extend....come later....or just do the whole show? I guess there is plenty to see and do for the week!!! This may be the only time I go until I can FLY my finished aircraft there!!!:D

HBC rocks!

Looking forward to camping at HBC again this year. Hopefully another tornado-free event! This will make 7 years n a row for me.

Last few years I have also added a pre-SNF overnight at Cedar Key to the adventure. Great little low budget resort town right on the fla. gulf coast.

Catmandu 1, 2, and 3 are planning to be there (Dad, me, my son). Hope to fly most of the way Thursday afternoon, fly into LAL Friday morning (Southwest to TPA as a backup). Staying on field at the Hilton (Dad needs naptime, dontcha' know) until Monday morning. Really looking forward to this.

South AL Fuel Discount Announced

Moderators, please move if this belongs somewhere else...

KJKA's Furguson has announced a $0.20/gal discount on fuel. If you're passing the Alabama coast, it may be worth your while to stop.

Michael

HBC facilities/location

Its been a few years since I've been to SnF. Many people are saying great things about HBC, but my re-collection is that HBC was out in the boonies and the facilities were very minimal. Has HBC improved in the last few years?

My dad and I plan on flying down from Delaware this year for the first time. Can anyone recommend a place to read up on all of the info I need to know?

Its been a few years since I've been to SnF. Many people are saying great things about HBC, but my re-collection is that HBC was out in the boonies and the facilities were very minimal. Has HBC improved in the last few years?

I wouldn't say it is in the boonies but it is just off the official map display to the east. There are regular shuttles and it is a lot closer to the action than the cow pastures where the other camping is. A shower trailer is about 10 mins walk away.

My dad and I plan on flying down from Delaware this year for the first time. Can anyone recommend a place to read up on all of the info I need to know?

The Sun N Fun website is a good place to find info. As of today the NOTAM is not yet available but is must reading for those flying in. I usually print out what is applicable to my VFR flight from the NOTAM. You can also request a pocket size NOTAM free of charge.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn.aspx

Is it worth going to SNF?

I don't want to hijack this poll about going, so if I should post this in it's own thread, let me know.

I have never been to SNF. I looked at the web site to see if I could find out what was there and if it was worth going. I am not interested in watching stunt flying or air shows with lots of fire. I am more interested in seeing other homebuilts and vendors of products I may want in my plane. I assume that most of the EFIS, radio, and aircraft parts - hardware people will be there. After searching, I was able to find a list of vendors - it was not that easy to find.

I am putting together my panel and would love to see all my options and get a chance to see how they work before I put out the cash. If you have been before, do the vendors have their products to see and purchase or order? I just want to make sure if I take the time and spend the money to go, it will be worth the costs.

All the avionics vendors are there with working demo's and they would be more than happy to sell you something! :)

John Morgan

S n F

I am not interested in watching stunt flying or air shows with lots of fire. I am more interested in seeing other homebuilts and vendors of products I may want in my plane. I assume that most of the EFIS, radio, and aircraft parts - hardware people will be there. After searching, I was able to find a list of vendors - it was not that easy to find.

I just want to make sure if I take the time and spend the money to go, it will be worth the costs.

Rock:

I too have seen far too many souped up stunt planes tumbling thru the sky making angry noises. That tlme is spent by me checking out the vendors!:D

It's worth it. Especially if you can bum a ride with another rv'r and fly!

Back