-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Thanks Stu and Guy - do you know if your cylinders are Cerminil's or not? ECI has made several different types of bores.
My cylinders are Nickel+Carbide. I'm not sure if this is the same as Ceraminil or not. The engine was built by Mattituck in late 2007.

Guy
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.

Last edited by Guy Prevost : 03-07-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Default Upper compression ring problem

Right now I have 4 ECi cerminil cylinders with 325 hours on a O-360 that the coating on the upper compression ring is actually peeling off the ring. In the process of submitting warranty claim. Have learned that this is a common problem and uncertain if it has been resolved. Will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. Never seen anything like it before. Supposedly the difference in the expansion rates of the base metal and the coating are different enough to cause this issue.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Ruh roh... makes me wonder if I have troubles ahead on the horizon. My O-360 has original Lycoming jugs but overhauled by ECi using their Cerminil process in 2005. I'm at around 890 hours and so far, so good. Compressions are usually in the mid-70's and oil burn is usually 8-10 hours per quart. After hearing so many reports of other engines getting 20-25 hrs per qt I was disappointed in my consumption, but after reading Paul's and Bob's posts, I guess it's not really that bad. I'll keep on tracking the oil and maybe start doing more regular compression checks, just in case. That and keep my fingers crossed!
1875 hrs
Houston, TX
Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM

At four hundred hours I sent my cylinders back for the warranty work. When we removed them we found the piston skirts scuffed and the surface of the compression rings delaminated. Apparently this happened on some, not all, of the early rings in this series. I did get cylinders but the pistons had to be replaced. Oil consumption was going up and it is a good thing that I went for the warranty job. Anyways, the rings have been done with a new process and as of last year there were no reported problems. I am happy with the four new, two rebuilt cylinders. So far normal oil consumption after 150 hours. I thought ECI handled the situation ok, at least in my case.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Default How about a quart every two hours

on the RV-10, from day one -- new ECI Nickel cylinders in early 2005 --- "A" Group, 120 hrs total. ----- What is not coming out the breather (lots), I assume is getting burned --- just did compression check, one at 69, rest mid 70's.

Does not sound like Paul is finding anyone with really high-time ECIs.

Bummer!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
When we removed them we found the piston skirts scuffed and the surface of the compression rings delaminated. Apparently this happened on some, not all, of the early rings in this series. .
I took a close look at the pistons that I removed, and I am seeing the same thing Tom! A post earlier talked about the same thing. I have the scuffing on the skirts, and that's one of the reasons that i just decided to go ahead and get all new assemblies - rather than nickel and diming, I just figured I'd call it a top - which isn't that bad at this number of hours.

Still looking for someone (else) with high time Cerminils!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM

Not trying to get OT, but I've always associated scuffed skirts to be indication of too high piston temps. The lyc pistons are cam ground after all and supposedly they do go from oval cold to round at some temp. If they exceed that temp they start to go oval the other way with the big axis perpendicular to the pin. Isn't that right?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhed View Post
Not trying to get OT, but I've always associated scuffed skirts to be indication of too high piston temps. The lyc pistons are cam ground after all and supposedly they do go from oval cold to round at some temp. If they exceed that temp they start to go oval the other way with the big axis perpendicular to the pin. Isn't that right?
Yep correct.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFII A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Default How can I tell if my cylinders are Cerminil?

I have over 2,000 hours on my Aerosport O-320-D1A assembled in early 2004. Still have good compressions, three 78's and a 79. Oil cunsumption has been in the 12-15 hours per quart range and consistent. I do an oil analysis at every oil change and had only one analysis that had slightly high aluminum. All other have been normal.

My parts list that came with the engine doesn't list cylinders, at least I can't find them, maybe a different description. My cylinders are in the SB, the group that requires compression and visual inspections.

I commute to work 4 days a week in the RV, about 1.6 Hobbs time per day. 350 to 400 hours a year.

How do you identify cerminil cylinders?
Loving Cameron Park, California
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Nickel ECI, 2.5 quarts in 50 hr oil change...
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by LifeofReiley : 03-07-2012 at 07:58 PM.